2022 Reading Challenge discussion

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
This topic is about The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes #3)

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss Arthur Conan Doyle‘s book, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Randy, Suki, Ilona, Scott, Ashley

message 2: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 79
Week 2: 79
Week 3: 79
Week 4: 79

message 3: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 3987 comments Has anyone started this yet? I am planning to read it towards the end of the month, a short story collection is perfect for my holiday with friends.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 970 comments I am starting this one today. There are 12 short stories so I figure I'll read one every couple days.

The first one is A Scandal in Bohemia.

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1116 comments I started reading the first short story. I am planning on reading a few pages each day. I read one section of each story a day. I figure I will finish closer to the end of the month as this is a busy month. Enjoy everyone.

message 6: by Scott (new) - added it

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments I started on the first story I’ll try and read a story every few days

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 970 comments I finished A Scandal in Bohemia and enjoyed it, especially the character of Irene Adler who was memorably played by Rachel McAdams in the recent Guy Ritchie Holmes movies.

Holmes' cocaine use is again referenced early in the story.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 970 comments I finished The Red Headed League and liked it a lot also, although this plot has been used so many times now that I figured it out early on.

So far I like the Holmes short stories better than the novels. They contain about the same amount of mystery but they get to the point much faster.

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1116 comments I agree that the short stories get to the point faster, but they do seem repetitive. I also liked the background story a little bit, but they do no seem to fit in the short stories because they are straightforward and the background doesn't really exist.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 970 comments I finished the third story A Case of Identity. This was my least favorite story so far, not only because it was relatively simple but also because it felt so chauvinistic.

Wikipedia has a quote from one Margaret Brown from the Proceedings of the Pacific Northwest Literary Society that sums it up well (spoiler tagged for those who haven't read the story) (view spoiler)

You can read the Wikipedia entry here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Case_...

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 970 comments I finished The Boscombe Valley Mystery and really enjoyed it. So far I've liked 3 of the first 4 stories. I'm on pace to wrap this one up a little before the end of the month.

How's everyone else doing?

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1116 comments I just finished The Red Headed League.

(view spoiler)

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 970 comments Ashley wrote: "I just finished The Red Headed League.

[spoilers removed]"

I agree with your spoiler, Ashley. While reading this story I was actually reminded of the Woody Allen movie Small Time Crooks, although that one turns out a lot different than this story did.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 970 comments I finished The Five Orange Pips. The revelation of the meaning behind the initials made me laugh but only because (view spoiler). I didn't think the story was one of the better ones in the collection however. It felt anti-climactic.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 970 comments I finished The Man with the Twisted Lip and I think it's my new favorite story in the collection. The introduction of Holmes and the solving of the mystery were more unusual than most Holmes stories.

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1116 comments The Five Orange Pips was not one of the better stories. I don't care for the endings of some of the stories as they just seem to end. There is not a lot going on like in the longer books.

I finished The Man With the Twisted Lip. (view spoiler)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1116 comments I finished The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle.

(view spoiler)

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 970 comments I read The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle and The Speckled Band and liked them both a lot.

Ashley, I agree with your thoughts on Carbuncle (which is turns out is a type of gem, although the word is more commonly used to describe a cluster of boils). I also enjoyed that the case started in an unusual fashion.

Speckled on the other hand starts like many of Holmes' other cases, with a client coming to Holmes with a problem. But this one has a villain who is not too hard to spot and the crime itself reminded me mildly of some of the real life exploits of a different Holmes, namely H. H. Holmes whose tale was told in The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America.

message 19: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2018 06:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1116 comments I finished The Adventure of the Speckled Band. This was another enjoyable short story.

(view spoiler)

message 20: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 3987 comments I just finished A Scandal in Bohemia, and will try to read at least one short story a day from now on.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 970 comments I finished The Adventure of The Engineer Thumb. It started off so well I thought I would really enjoy it but it turned out just OK.

I like that Doyle is trying to make each of these stories unique, instead of the "typical" set up where Holmes is sitting around and someone asks him to solve a mystery. In the case of this story however I think it suffered from being mostly told by the client and Homes didn't have much to do until the end.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 970 comments I finished The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor. It was OK. I was hoping for something a bit more exciting but it never delivered on what I thought was a promising setup.

Two more stories to go!

message 23: by Scott (new) - added it

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments I’ve finished the first three so far. I didn’t really like the third until Holmes caught the bad guy and explained the criminal’s motivation

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1116 comments The Adventure of The Engineer Thumb (view spoiler)

The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor (view spoiler)

The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet (view spoiler)

The Adventure of the Copper Beeches (view spoiler)

message 25: by RJ - Slayer of Trolls (last edited Aug 27, 2018 10:43AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 970 comments I finished The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet the other day. It was one of the best in the collection with a lot of detecting for Holmes to do.

I'm down to the last story! I should finish today or tomorrow, then a break for the holiday weekend and on to the next book in the series.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 970 comments I finished The Adventure of the Copper Beeches which I thought was a good story that kept me guessing. I thought the little boy would play a larger part in the story.

message 27: by Scott (new) - added it

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments I agree the engineer thumb started out pretty good but just ended being just ok.

message 28: by Scott (new) - added it

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments I was surprised by the ending of the bachelor story.

message 29: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 3987 comments I have read 9 stories, so three more to go. Hopefully I have time to finish those this week

message 30: by Scott (new) - added it

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments Ok I finished this collection today. Some were better than others but there was a nice amount of variety so the stories weren’t that predictable

message 31: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 3987 comments So, my one story a day plan didn't really work out, but I read the last three stories today and finally finished this collection!

Is it just me or does the last story have some Jane Eyre elements?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.