Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Group Challenges Archive > DHASG August 2018 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited Aug 03, 2018 07:50AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 9732 comments Mod

DHASG August 2018 Challenge

Introduction: We're eight months into the year with August arriving. And it is hot! It's also getting close to the end of summer vacation, and school will start up at the end of the month. There's still time for some good Summer reads though.

Rules:

1. Any DHASG member can participate in the challenge.
2. Books must be read between August 1st and August 31st.
3. A book may only be used once in the challenge.
4. Please sign up and list your stats or link to the completed stats listing when you finish the challenge.
5. In your stats, include book title, author, date read, and how it represents the specific part of the challenge.
6. Enjoy and happy reading!

Levels:
1. Hot Hot Hot: Read 9-12 books.
2. Dog Days of Summer: Read 5-8 books.
3. Beach Reading: Read 3-4 books.

Categories
:

1. If You're Happy and You Know It..: August is Admit You're Happy Month. To celebrate the spirit of this observation, read a book about a character's journey to happiness or read a book that makes you happy.
2.You're a Peach!: August is also Peach Month. Read a book that relates to a fact about peaches. Here's a link to some peach information: http://tonsoffacts.com/28-fun-and-int...
3.Friendship Week: Friendship Week is the 3rd week in August. Read a book that celebrates friendship.
4.Dog Days of Summer: July 3-August 11 is the time known as The Dog Days of Summer, the hottest, muggiest days of the year. Select a book that features Dog Days of Summer-worthy weather. You could also use a book with a cover that features a hot, sweaty person or persons.
5.International Clown Week: August 1-7 is the week that should strike fear in the hearts of coulrophobics. Good or bad, read a book featuring a clown, authentic, or a person who acts like a clown.
6.Sisters Day: The first Sunday in August is set aside to celebrate sisterhood. Select a book that includes a sister relationship as a prominent theme.
7.Book Lover's Day: August 9th is a day to be intentional about enjoying the hobby of reading. Books can be enjoyable and informative. You can read whatever you want on August 9th and count it for the challenge.
8.Work Smarter Not Harder: August has holidays for being lazy, relaxing, and for working like a dog. At the root is the importance of work/life balance. We can all use help with that. Read a book with a lead character who has this issue and is working through it over the course of the book.
9.The Poppy and the Peridot: August's flower is the poppy and its birthstone is the peridot. Together, they sound like a 1970s bodice ripper romance. You could read one of those, if you'd like, or you could read a book with a character named Poppy, has the flower on the cover or its about poppies, or you can read a book that represents peridots, which are a lovely, Wizard of Oz-like green (here are facts about that stone: https://www.gulfcoastcoin.com/blog/6-...).
10.Bad Poetry Day: I think I use this as a challenge every year, because it's such a great theme. Read a book for this August 18th day that has a title that sounds like bad poetry. Or has a character who writes bad poetry. :)
11.Kiss and Make Up Day: August 25th is the day to Make it Right by Making Out. Read a book with a very nice Kiss and Make Up storyline.
12.National Senior Citizen's Day: August 21st is the day to honor senior citizens. Let's do so by reading a book that shows respect for or celebrates senior citizens. You could choose one with an older lead character, or exploring a relationship between a younger person and a senior character.

Information about August taken from the Holiday Insights page: http://holidayinsights.com/moreholida...

Challenge Participants

chocolatesoup
Tina Theresa
Danielle The Book Huntress

message 2: by Chocolatesoup (last edited Aug 30, 2018 01:05PM) (new)

Chocolatesoup | 43 comments 3. Beach Reading: Read 3-4 books.

Categories:

1. If You're Happy and You Know It..: August is Admit You're Happy Month. To celebrate the spirit of this observation, read a book about a character's journey to happiness or read a book that makes you happy.
2.You're a Peach!: August is also Peach Month. Read a book that relates to a fact about peaches. Here's a link to some peach information: http://tonsoffacts.com/28-fun-and-int...

Fit (Fit, #1) by Rebekah Weatherspoon by Rebekah Weatherspoon read 8/15 and both peaches and the heroine originate from China.

3.Friendship Week: Friendship Week is the 3rd week in August. Read a book that celebrates friendship.

Midnight Valentine by J.T. Geissinger by J.T. Geissinger read 8/11 and the developing friendship and delightfully funny banter between the heroine and another main character was one of my favorite aspects of the book.

4.Dog Days of Summer: July 3-August 11 is the time known as The Dog Days of Summer, the hottest, muggiest days of the year. Select a book that features Dog Days of Summer-worthy weather. You could also use a book with a cover that features a hot, sweaty person or persons.
5.International Clown Week: August 1-7 is the week that should strike fear in the hearts of coulrophobics. Good or bad, read a book featuring a clown, authentic, or a person who acts like a clown.

Speakeasy (True North, #5) by Sarina Bowen by Sarina Bowen read 8/30 and features one of the most fun loving male characters I've read in a long time. Alec isn't exactly a clown but he's fun and funny and willing to "perform" for laughs and that's also while dealing with a LOT of stress.

6.Sisters Day: The first Sunday in August is set aside to celebrate sisterhood. Select a book that includes a sister relationship as a prominent theme.

Wicked Ugly Bad (A Kinda Fairytale, #1) by Cassandra Gannon by Cassandra Gannon read Aug 5th & features a sister relationship as prominent theme.

7.Book Lover's Day: August 9th is a day to be intentional about enjoying the hobby of reading. Books can be enjoyable and informative. You can read whatever you want on August 9th and count it for the challenge.
8.Work Smarter Not Harder: August has holidays for being lazy, relaxing, and for working like a dog. At the root is the importance of work/life balance. We can all use help with that. Read a book with a lead character who has this issue and is working through it over the course of the book.

The Problem With Him (Opposites Attract, #3) by Rachel Higginson by Rachel Higginson read 8/30 features a chef who works incredibly long and hard hours, although she loves her work and has solid friendships, she wants and finds a romantic relationship.

9.The Poppy and the Peridot: August's flower is the poppy and its birthstone is the peridot. Together, they sound like a 1970s bodice ripper romance. You could read one of those, if you'd like, or you could read a book with a character named Poppy, has the flower on the cover or its about poppies, or you can read a book that represents peridots, which are a lovely, Wizard of Oz-like green (here are facts about that stone: https://www.gulfcoastcoin.com/blog/6-...).
10.Bad Poetry Day: I think I use this as a challenge every year, because it's such a great theme. Read a book for this August 18th day that has a title that sounds like bad poetry. Or has a character who writes bad poetry. :)
11.Kiss and Make Up Day: August 25th is the day to Make it Right by Making Out. Read a book with a very nice Kiss and Make Up storyline.
12.National Senior Citizen's Day: August 21st is the day to honor senior citizens. Let's do so by reading a book that shows respect for or celebrates senior citizens. You could choose one with an older lead character, or exploring a relationship between a younger person and a senior character.

message 3: by Tina Theresa (last edited Aug 07, 2018 09:25AM) (new)

Tina Theresa | 96 comments DHASG August 2018 Challenge
The Dog Days of Summer: 5/5-8 books.

1. If You're Happy and You Know It..: Just What I Needed 8/3
3.Friendship Week: Last Christmas in Paris: A Novel of World War I 8/7
4.Dog Days of Summer: Leave Me Breathless
5.International Clown Week: SKIP
6.Sisters Day: Lethal Lies 8/2
7.Book Lover's Day: Between Shades of Gray 8/6

Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys Last Christmas in Paris A Novel of World War I by Hazel Gaynor Leave Me Breathless (Ross Siblings, #3) by Cherrie Lynn Lethal Lies (Blood Brothers, #2) by Rebecca Zanetti Just What I Needed (Need You, #2) by Lorelei James

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 9732 comments Mod
I'm going to try to get back into doing challenges. I hope that some life changes will make me more able to read lately. I'll start slow.

Level: The Dog Days of Summer: 5-8 books.

message 5: by Stacie (last edited Aug 30, 2018 08:33PM) (new)

Stacie | 17 comments Dog Days of Summer: Read 5-8 books (Managed 6 that fit the categories)

1. If You're Happy and You Know It: Saga, Vol. 3
by Brian K. Vaughan
-SciFi that follows a married couple, who happen to be star-crossed lovers, and their newborn across many adventures of survival. Read this one because the series is perfection and definitely makes me feel all of the feels. (Read on 8/2)

2. You're a Peach!:Immortal Unchained by Lynsay Sands
-Characters are stranded and end up eating canned peaches/mixed fruit.(Read on-8/20)

3. Friendship Week: N/A

4. Dog Days of Summer: Immortal Nights by Lynsay Sands
-The plot mainly takes place on a hot strip of beach. Also, he might not be sweating, but our boy is still wet (maybe he's bathing the sweat off?) lol Would recommend if you like the "trapped and need to survive with a hot guy" trope. (Read on 8/15)

5.International Clown Week: N/A

6. Sisters Day: The Rose & the Dagger by Renee Ahdieh
-Prominent sister dynamic, can't give detail since it's the 2nd book in the duology and I don't want to spoil stuff. I'm really enjoying the romance in this, love the enemy's to lovers theme. (Read on 8/14)

7. Book Lover's Day: Saga, Vol. 8 by Brian K. Vaughan
-Can't get enough of this series, I've been binge reading it! (Read on 8/9)

8. Work Smarter Not Harder: N/A

9. The Poppy and the Peridot: N/A

10. Bad Poetry Day: N/A

11. Kiss and Make Up Day: N/A

12. National Senior Citizen's Day:
Down the Rabbit Hole: Curious Adventures and Cautionary Tales of a Former Playboy Bunny by Holly Madison
-This one doesn't exactly celebrate senior citizens, but it does feature a behind the scenes glimpse into age-gap relationships. The dynamic and mind games in the MC's relationship with Hugh Hefner was super dark, but interesting to read about. (Read on 8/7)