Classics for Beginners discussion

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
Archive 2018 > August 2018 Group read: Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne *Spoilers Welcome*

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (last edited Aug 01, 2018 05:49AM) (new) - added it

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 614 comments Mod
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea is our August group read. Dive in as we read and discuss!

Here's a link to the ebook on Project Gutenberg:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/164/1...

message 3: by Steven (new)

Steven Meyer Hey everyone. I’m about to start it. Just out of curiosity, what copy do you guys have? I actually own two copies cause Jules Verne is one of my all time favorite authors. The copies I have are:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9...
Also, did you want me to lead since I recommended it? I can.

message 4: by Annerlee (last edited Aug 07, 2018 06:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Annerlee As a self confessed Jules Verne fan, I think you would be ideal to lead the discussion Steven!

I read this one last year, but will be happy to re-read and join in. I won't be able to join until next week though. The editions I have are:
The Complete Collection of Jules Verne: and a Kindle version I can't find (Black version published 2005)

The differences will be in the translation I suppose? Do you have a preference?

message 5: by Steven (new)

Steven Meyer I don’t really have a preference on version. I’ll just grab what I got. I’m open to start whenever anyone can. I haven’t read it in a long time and don’t remember much of it. So I’m excited to read it again.

message 6: by Steven (new)

Steven Meyer Annerlee, I can try to find the translation you have if you wanna use the copy you have.

Phil J | 73 comments Hardcore Verne fans suggest that the translation makes a huge difference. I think the more recent translations get more praise. Some of his earlier translators prioritized anglicising the text (and even character names) or marketing to a younger audience.

Many years ago, I read a translation that was probably not the best. I found it very dull. The protagonist is an ichthyologist, and he spend an inordinate amount of time listing and describing fish.

There is an ongoing debate over who the first modern sci fi writer was. For many years, Verne was the consensus pick. Recently, Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley has gotten more traction. I have always favored H.G. Wells. Even though he came later than the other two, I think he better embodied the style and emphasis of modern science fiction.

And don't you dare bring up Edward Bulwer-Lytton.

Heather L  (wordtrix) Overall, I did not like this one. I have the Barnes & Noble Classics edition and the lists of fish by Latin name was one of the things I found off-putting about this book, as it told me nothing about what he was seeing. Degrees longitude and latitude were as equally sulerfluous. I found myself skipping over vast sections of the book, especially toward the end. The one thing I do like about the B&N Classics ebook editions are the hyperlinked footnotes. Not a complete waste, however, as it enabled me to check off another category in the 2018 Ultimate Challenge (it actually fits two categories: a book set at sea, and a book with a villain or anti-hero.)

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne

message 9: by Steven (new)

Steven Meyer I’m working on reading it right now myself. What didn’t you like? Was it the translation? I personally don’t like barnes and noble translations. I’m gonna have to use an ebook. I went out of town for the weekend, but forgot my copy of the book. At least that or the audiobook.

message 10: by Annerlee (last edited Aug 11, 2018 05:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Annerlee I've got myself the Oxford edition, translated by W Butcher. It seems to have good reviews.
I hope to start reading next weekend at the latest, after finishing my current book. Looking forward to reading it again.

Have you started your re-read yet Steven?

Annerlee Phil wrote: "... and don't you dare bring up Edward Bulwer-Lytton.

Never heard of him Phil - I'm a classics beginner - and after you're comment, I'm afraid to ask... Lol

Annerlee Steven wrote: " I’m gonna have to use an ebook. I went out of town for the weekend, but forgot my copy of the book"

How annoying. I know that feeling and you have my sympathy ; /

message 13: by Steven (new)

Steven Meyer Annerlee wrote: "I've got myself the Oxford edition, translated by W Butcher. It seems to have good reviews.
I hope to start reading next weekend at the latest, after finishing my current book. Looking forward to r..."

I’m about to start the re read. Did you wanna use the same edition or use separate? If you wanna use the same, I can grab the Oxford edition. Have you started yet?

message 14: by Steven (new)

Steven Meyer Annerlee wrote: "Steven wrote: " I’m gonna have to use an ebook. I went out of town for the weekend, but forgot my copy of the book"

How annoying. I know that feeling and you have my sympathy ; /"

I tried listening to the audiobook, but for me, I just can’t listen to certain narrators. It happened to me with Jim dale on the Harry Potter audios. I don’t like his narrations. That’s actually why I own the stephen fry versions. It actually won’t be that much longer until I’m home and can read the print copy. I usually either read in print or listen to audiobooks. I’m not that big of a fan of ebooks. What about you?

message 15: by Steven (new)

Steven Meyer I have my copy now and will get to reading tonight. How's everyone doing with it?

Annerlee Im up to chapter 9. So have just met Cpt Nemo. This is the ,2nd time of reading and I' m enjoying it so much better. The Oxford translation is really good, with lots of footnotes to explain Verne's frequent name dropping. I'm getting much more from the humour this time around too.

Verne must have been very well travelled an extremely well read. He definitely wants his readers to know this I think. Get the feeling he',s showing off more than just a little, but it also makes the novel feel more real - rooted in real life.

Annerlee I travel to and from work bybus, so ebooks are really practical. I hated them at first, but read more ebooks than normal books now.
I agree about audiobooks, the narrator has to be 'right'.

message 18: by Annerlee (last edited Aug 23, 2018 06:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Annerlee How we doing folks? Where's everyone up to?

I've just reached Ch15

I was thinking about the Nautilus and the way it's perceived by each of the characters. Their views are very different.(view spoiler)

My daughter is a marine biologist and told me last night that this is her favourite book of all time. I can see why:

Quote from Nemo:
"The sea is nature’s vast reserve. It was through the sea that the globe as it were began, and who knows if it will not end in the sea! Perfect peace abides there. The sea does not belong to despots. On its surface immoral rights can still be claimed, men can fight each other, devour each other, and carry out all the earth’s atrocities. But thirty feet below the surface their power ceases, their influence fades, their authority disappears. Ah, sir, live, live in the heart of the sea! Independence is possible only here! Here I recognize no master! Here I am free!"

message 19: by Steven (new)

Steven Meyer I’m working on it. I’m gonna try to speed it up and catch up with everyone. I was finishing a book I’d started. I finished that, and am probably about four or five chapters in.

message 20: by Steven (new)

Steven Meyer My favorite by Verne is actually Journey to the Center of the Earth. I wanna re read that one again. It’s easily one of my top five fantasy/sci-fi books of all time.

Annerlee No worries Steven. I think it's the sort of book you get most out of by reading at a leisurely pace ; )

Annerlee Steven wrote: "My favorite by Verne is actually Journey to the Center of the Earth. I wanna re read that one again. It’s easily one of my top five fantasy/sci-fi books of all time."

Also a great book

message 23: by Steven (new)

Steven Meyer Thanks. I’m in chapter 6 right now.

Annerlee Steven wrote: "Thanks. I’m in chapter 6 right now."

You've nearly caught up wih me then : )

message 25: by Steven (new)

Steven Meyer How far are you? I was listening to the audiobook in my car. Got it from the library. But, I’m not switching to the print copy. They just met Nemo. I just didn’t like the way the narrator was having Nemo talk. The narrator is English and it just didn’t come across as well Indian culture wise. I’m re reading chapter nine. I was in ten.

Annerlee Renju-Ninja294 wrote: "This is on my to-read list, but I can't settle on a translation. Earlier versions purportedly impose political changes to the story and contain hundreds of translation errors.
..."

Re translations: I asked myself the same question, but not being an expert, I cant really comment too much. The N American Jules Verne Society have reviewed some translations at http://www.najvs.org/works/V006_VL.shtml

I'm reading the Oxford UP version and am finding jt excellent. It's not a free version, although it didnt cost too much on ebook.

Hope that helps ☺

message 27: by Steven (new)

Steven Meyer Renju-Ninja294 wrote: "This is on my to-read list, but I can't settle on a translation. Earlier versions purportedly impose political changes to the story and contain hundreds of translation errors.

By any chance, has a..."

I’m not really an expert on translations either. The copy I’m using is the Everyman’s Library edition translated by Henry Frith. I hope this helps.