Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2018 archive > August challenge: I finished!

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nadine in NY (last edited Jul 31, 2018 07:37PM) (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 5883 comments Mod
This thread is to mark your completion of the August challenge for the prompt: "a book with characters that are twins." You can join in with the group read of The Night Circus or pick a different book to satisfy this challenge.

Please include the following:

Title:
Author:
Did you think the twins in the book were an important part of the plot?
Would you recommend?

No other posts in this thread please

message 2: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 5883 comments Mod
Title: Force of Nature
Author: Jane Harper
Did you think the twins in the book were an important part of the plot? They were key characters, but I think the story would have been the same if they were just siblings, or cousins. I didn't think the "twin" aspect was vital to the plot. I know several others in this group read this book, too, and I'm curious to hear how others feel.
Would you recommend? Sure! This is the second in a series, and I had read The Dry the year before, but I think this works well as a stand-alone mystery, too.

message 3: by Teri (last edited Aug 01, 2018 02:33PM) (new)

Teri (teria) | 1142 comments Title: The Upside of Unrequited
Author: Becky Albertalli
Did you think the twins in the book were an important part of the plot? The twins were the main characters in the book, so they were definitely important. However, their being fraternal twins didn't seem all that necessary to the plot. It would have made no real difference if they had just been sisters close in age. I suppose they made them twins just to emphasize the point about how different they were from each other.
Would you recommend? I didn't enjoy this book anywhere near as much as Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by the same author, but it was an interesting enough teen read.

I'm planning to read The Night Circus this month along with the challenge, but it will be for my "time of day" prompt.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherbowman) | 714 comments Title: Big Little Lies
Author: Liane Moriarty
Did you think the twins in the book were an important part of the plot? They're not main characters, but they're important enough to the plot that I have to answer this inside spoiler tags. (view spoiler)
Would you recommend? Yes

message 5: by Stacey (last edited Aug 04, 2018 11:44PM) (new)

Stacey | 404 comments Teri wrote: "I'm planning to read The Night Circus this month along with the challenge, but it will be for my "time of day" prompt."

Same Here! :)

Title: The Secrets We Keep
Author: Trisha Leaver
Did you think the twins in the book were an important part of the plot? There's no denying it; the twin aspect is absolutely vital to the plot of this book!
Would you recommend? IF you enjoy YA that includes typical high school stuff/popularity AND you like emotionally raw & powerful books then YES, I would recommend it! I was in tears reading this book which doesn't happen to me often! I gave it ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan | 306 comments Title: Hollywood Homicide
Author: Kellye Garrett
Did you think the twins in the book were an important part of the plot? Yes, while they were secondary characters, they played a key role in helping the main character with her amateur sleuthing. Trying to stay away from spoiler territory here :)
Would you recommend? If you enjoy humorous, cozy mysteries, I would definitely recommend it. This was a great introduction to a fun, fresh new series. I really liked the main characters and felt that it had many of laugh out loud moments.

message 7: by Cindy (last edited Aug 05, 2018 06:24PM) (new)

Cindy Title: The Thirteenth Tale
Author: Diane Setterfield

Did you think the twins in the book were an important part of the plot? Yes, the twins were vital to the plot. They were main characters in Vida Winters story. The secondary plot of her biographer’s lost twin was boring and overdone.

Would you recommend? Absolutely, if you like gothic stories, spooky rundown mansions, strange people, mystery and danger.

message 8: by Yvette (last edited Aug 07, 2018 02:31AM) (new)

Yvette Roberts | 18 comments Title:26a.
Author:Diana Evans

Did you think the twins in the book were an important part of the plot? The novel starts with the birth of the twins and follows their lives. The story does follow and share view points of other family members, but the twins storyline is the most integral.

Would you recommend? Yes, although it's a very emotional read. Prepare for tears.

message 9: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 26 comments I accidentally completed this challenge much earlier in the year, when I picked up what I thought would be a non-challenge book and it ended up having twins in it:

Title: The Marrow Thieves
Author: Cherie Dimaline

Do you think the twins were an important part of the plot: The twins were not main characters in this book, but they were important secondary characters.

Would you recommend: I 110% recommend this book! Trigger warning: although the book takes place in the dystopian future, it was written to help a YA audience better understand the legacy and experiences of indigenous peoples that were forced into the Canadian residential school system in order to erase their culture. This is a powerful, thoughtfully-written, and (IMO) important book.

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan Kindred | 65 comments Title: The Night Circus (as the group read)
Author: Erin Morgenstern
Did you think the twins in the book were an important part of the plot? I did find the twin aspect to be important to the book because Poppet and Widget are important characters and their bond as twins is key to the story. As I read what other people wrote above, I began to wonder if it would have had the same power if they were just siblings, but their connection to the circus seems like it would have been diminished if that were the case (I think anyone who has read the book could understand why I would say this).
Would you recommend?
I do recommend this book, but it has some elements that I can see many people not liking.

message 11: by Sonali (last edited Aug 11, 2018 04:53AM) (new)

Sonali Ekka | 86 comments Title: The Night Circus

Did you think the twins in the book were an important part of the plot?Yes, the twins helped carry the plot forward and played a crucial role towards the end of the plot, by befriending a character who'd wrap up the pieces and hence the story at the end. These twins made him act instead of being a passive spectator. I guess I can't say more without giving out spoilers.

Would you recommend? Personally I disliked the book but if anyone is into fantasy, magic and circuses, then they may enjoy it.

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen | 127 comments title: Cutting for Stone
author: Abraham Verghese
the twins were main characters, and their birth and connection as twins were important to the plot.
I'm not sure I'd recommend this, descriptions of the mission hospital were interesting, but there were issues with the plot and ultimately the book seemed far too long for it's actual content. maybe I'd recommend skimming to those interested in medicine.

message 13: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 427 comments Title: The Night Circus
Did you think the twins in the book were an important part of the plot? Yes. The twins represent the future of the circus. They were born on the opening night and so they have never known life without it. It is a part of them and they are a part of it. Narratively speaking, they also played an important role for me because I found them to be the most relatable and likeable characters in the story
Would you recommend? If you like beautiful and creative descriptions and are not so bothered about plot and characters I think you will enjoy this. It wasn't for me.

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 26 comments Jess wrote: "Title: The Night Circus
If you like beautiful and creative descriptions and are not so bothered about plot and characters I think you will enjoy this. It wasn't for me.

Jess, this is exactly how I felt about the book!

message 15: by SarahKat (new)

SarahKat | 163 comments I read The Night Circus with the group but I had already filled the Twins spot...

Title: The Titan's Curse
Author: Rick Riordan
Did you think the twins in the book were an important part of the plot? Artemis and Apollo. Yeah more or less
Would you recommend? Not at all. At least not on audio. My 6-year-old and I both hated it.

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 622 comments I forgot to keep track of which prompts were being used for monthly themes, and I read my intended book with twins much earlier in the year! I still managed to read another one that had twins in it this month though, so that still works.

My original pick for a book with twins:
Title: Beside Myself
Author: Ann Morgan
Did you think the twins in the book were an important part of the plot? The book was based on the premise of them being twins and switching places, so it was essential.
Would you recommend? Absolutely. It was amazing!

And the one I read this month:
Title: A Murder Is Announced
Author: Agatha Christie
Did you think the twins in the book were an important part of the plot? There was one set of twins who played a pretty key role in the mystery.
Would you recommend? Yes, but I still prefer And Then There Were None

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Buley | 40 comments Title: The Ice Twins
Author: S.K. Tremayne

Did you think the twins in the book were an important part of the plot? Yes, the plot centers around a mother trying to figure out which of her identical twins is still alive.

Would you recommend? Yes. It was a quick, easy, and interesting read.

message 18: by Angie (new)

Angie | 28 comments Title: The Night Circus
Author:Erin Morgenstern

Did you think the twins in the book were an important part of the plot? I think so because, in the end, the future upkeep of the circus fell on their shoulders (plus one other person's).

Would you recommend? Only if you like books with sweet (mostly), eccentric characters, beautiful imagery and very slow moving action development.

message 19: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 178 comments Title: Surprise Me

Author: Sophie Kinsella

Did you think the twins in the book were an important part of the plot? Yes and no, they were the main couple's twin daughters. Not central characters but part of the story building.

Would you recommend? Yes. This was a more serious Kinsella novel but it still had her typical quirky moments.

message 20: by Cornerofmadness (new)

Cornerofmadness | 402 comments Title: The Diminished

Author: Kaitlyn Sage Patterson

Did you think the twins in the book were an important part of the plot? - It's critical to the plot. Everyone in this magical world has a twin and if yours dies you are Diminished. If you're a single birth, you're considered special and could end up royalty.

Would you recommend? - Honestly not for me. It's too dystopic. But if you like YA dystopias, it's a neat idea and not badly written. But I couldn't connect with the characters

message 21: by John (new)

John | 79 comments Well i'm a few days shy of completing this one on time, just had a ton of stuff take up my normal reading time this last month.

Title: The Night Circus

Did you think the twins in the book were an important part of the plot? Yes I do, The twins are integral part of what happens at the circus, before and after it's opening.

Would you recommend? Even though there were some parts where i was confused as to what exactly was going on, overall i did enjoy it, and would recommend it.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.