YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Not Even Bones (Market of Monsters, #1)
This topic is about Not Even Bones
BUDDY READ:Paranormal/Fantasy > Not Even Bones (Market of Monsters #1) by Rebecca Schaeffer - Restarting October 1st 2019

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Dexter meets This Savage Song in this dark fantasy about a girl who sells magical body parts on the black market — until she’s betrayed.

Nita doesn’t murder supernatural beings and sell their body parts on the internet—her mother does that. Nita just dissects the bodies after they’ve been “acquired.” Then her mom brings home a living specimen, and Nita decides she wants out. But there’s a problem: Nita herself is supernatural being and a prime target for the black market if anyone ever found out. When Nita decides to help her mother's latest victim escape, she ends up taking his place instead. Nita did a good deed, and it cost her everything. Now she needs to escape and make sure no one can ever sell her again. And to do that, there’s no line Nita won’t cross.

Karen Barber | 10630 comments Been wanting to read this for a while. Sounds dark.

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Chapters 1-2 (view spoiler)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Chapters 3-5 (view spoiler)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Chapters 6-9 (view spoiler)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Chapter 10-18 (view spoiler)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Chapter 27 (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10630 comments Opening couple of chapters I have to say it feels difficult to get my head around what they’re doing. Nina seems to have no issue with her ‘job’ so I don’t see why things are so different with this case.

Karen Barber | 10630 comments Up to ch7. Very strange family set-up. Feel sorry for Nina, though she’s as much part of the problem as her mother.

Karen Barber | 10630 comments Up to ch18. I’m having to detach myself from this slightly to not be too put-off by the content. Definitely not for the squeamish, though most of it is left to our imagination. Still reeling from the fact her mother did this!

Karen Barber | 10630 comments Up to ch26. Reyes doesn’t encourage any sympathy, but that was hard to read.

Karen Barber | 10630 comments Up to ch31. For a moment I thought Nita might succeed. That is what I suppose you’d call a setback.

Karen Barber | 10630 comments Up to ch36. Rather surprised at the way this is planning out.

Karen Barber | 10630 comments Finished. Dark, but actually found myself enjoying this in spite of the subject. Review on home page. Surprised by the ending.

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 84192 comments Mod
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Date changed. Restarting November 20th 2018. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 22791 comments Mod
Thanks Sarah! ^-^

Chapter one. Curious what all the lingo is. :)

Chapter 10. Okay Nita is definitely NOT normal. (view spoiler)

Chapter 28. That first sentence or two. O.o Wow.

Review: This was an extremely interesting read. It was not like my usual books so that was a plus. But it's also why I didn't give it a 5 star.

Nita was a very interesting character. (view spoiler)

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments I finished this, I have to do my updates and I'm putting it off because the book is downstairs. LOL I will do it tomorrow.

Amanda wrote: "I finished this, I have to do my updates and I'm putting it off because the book is downstairs. LOL I will do it tomorrow."

You could comment on my comments for now if you wanted to. That's what I do when I don't want to grab my book. lol. Thankfully mine was close at hand. ^_^

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments end of ch 4 (view spoiler)

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments end of ch 18 (view spoiler)

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments end of ch 26 (view spoiler)

Amanda wrote: "end of ch 4 [spoilers removed]"

That would be sooooo nice. ^-^

message 27: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (last edited Nov 30, 2018 06:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amanda wrote: "end of ch 18 [spoilers removed]"

What part is that again? I know (view spoiler)

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments end of ch 33 (view spoiler)

Amanda wrote: "end of ch 33 [spoilers removed]"

She is but she also didn't have much choice. (view spoiler)

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments Bookbuyer wrote: "Amanda wrote: "end of ch 33 [spoilers removed]"

"

I mean I know. But it was like watching people in a horror movie split up. I was just like DON'T DO IT

Amanda wrote: "Bookbuyer wrote: "Amanda wrote: "end of ch 33 [spoilers removed]"

"

I mean I know. But it was like watching people in a horror movie split up. I was just like DON'T DO IT"

I don't watch horror movies so I wouldn't know. lol. :P

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 84192 comments Mod
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Date changed. Restarting October 1st 2019. Happy Reading ☺

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 701 comments Can't wait to start

I just re-read this. So good. Hope ya'll enjoy. ^_^

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 701 comments I just finished chapter one and there is something about it that I am not liking. I don't know what it is and maybe it will go away once I keep reading.

message 36: by Farren (new) - added it

Farren (mmmcookies) | 357 comments I got a jump start on this one and still only managed to read about 20% in two days. I agree that there is something very... lackluster about it right off the bat. I think it's the writing style.

Ch. 1-7

(view spoiler)

This book seems like a very quick read though, I flew through what I already read and I'm sure there will be action scenes coming up too.

Krystal Ayers | 4313 comments Starting!

Krystal Ayers | 4313 comments 1%. Phistaco... PHISTACO!!!!!! -can't stop laughing-

Krystal Ayers | 4313 comments 4% (view spoiler)

Krystal Ayers | 4313 comments Farren wrote: "I got a jump start on this one and still only managed to read about 20% in two days. I agree that there is something very... lackluster about it right off the bat. I think it's the writing style.

..."

I absolutely agree with what you put in the spoilers. I HATE being dropped in without any information or world building.

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 701 comments Having a very hard time with this book and I will keep trying to read it. It might be a DNF for me.

Krystal Ayers | 4313 comments 28% - (view spoiler)

Krystal Ayers | 4313 comments 56% I'm actually liking this. It's a quick read like everyone is saying and has enough interesting details to keep me interested.

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 701 comments Krystal wrote: "56% I'm actually liking this. It's a quick read like everyone is saying and has enough interesting details to keep me interested."

I tried to keep reading but just couldn't get into. Maybe it wasn't right time for me to read it.

message 45: by Farren (new) - added it

Farren (mmmcookies) | 357 comments Krystal wrote: "4% [spoilers removed]"

That's not too harsh at all. Our society could use that too lol

I haven't had time to pick this one back up because I'm juggling it with two other books and I've barely been home today. And now I feel super sick from eating out so I can't even concentrate enough to read

Krystal Ayers | 4313 comments Farren wrote: "Krystal wrote: "4% [spoilers removed]"

I haven't had time to pick this one back up because I'm juggling it with two other books and..."

I hope you feel better!

Krystal Ayers | 4313 comments 80% (view spoiler)

Krystal Ayers | 4313 comments Finished. (view spoiler) This wasn't a bad book as it caught and kept my attention. Was it the best? Certainly not. But I liked it enough to keep reading and I am interested in the next one.

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 701 comments Farren wrote: "Krystal wrote: "4% [spoilers removed]"

I haven't had time to pick this one back up because I'm juggling it with two other books and..."

Feel better