Maryse's Book Blog WolfPack/Bridesmaids Meeting Place discussion

2018 ~ Monthly Challenges > August 2018 ~ ATF Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Grey (last edited Aug 31, 2018 12:14PM) (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
A new challenge for 2018 is the ATF Challenge. For me...some of the books that are my all-time favorites that I may recommend, may not necessarily have gotten 5 stars...but nonetheless are still on my favorite books of all time list, so here we are ~ working on seven months in now!

And I think now that we've figured it out, the rules of this challenge are pretty simple.

1) Between now and the 31st of July, members express their interest in participating in the ATF challenge for August.
2) Sometime on August 1st, it will be randomized by one of our illustrious randomizers to see who the lucky 8th woman of honor will be.
3) She will post the link to her All Time Favorite Books list (which could be her 5 stars list... or it could be something new that she makes up specifically for this challenge, however, it should include at least 10 books; in fact, the more books the better). I will also link the Honoree's list here in this first post.
4) Then this is where it gets fun... the Honoree could deign to 'help' pick a book for each of us that are participating to read from that list that we haven't read, if we have it or can easily get our hands on it. Or...she could just let us run amok and pick from all of her favorite choices.

For example: here is the link to Grey's All Time Favorites List

And last, but certainly not least...
5) The next super fun part of this challenge is that everyone else gets to throw a suggestion into the pot for the honoree, one of their 5 star suggestions, which will then be tossed into the randomizer again (or the honoree can just choose one, whichever floats her boat!) But this way, the honoree also has an All Time Favorite to read this month.

Clear as mud? Please ask if you have any questions, as we continue to iron out the details!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The honoree for July 2018 is ... Michele!!! Michele's ATF list

The book that was chosen from all of our suggestions and plucked from the magical randomizer for her to read is... Balance (Off Balance, #1) by Lucia Franco Balance by Lucia Franco! Michele rated it 4 stars and then read book 2, Execution which she rated as 5 stars!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From Michele's All Time Favorite's List:

Tessa picked Warprize (Chronicles of the Warlands, #1) by Elizabeth Vaughan ; she rated it

Jan picked The Man I Love (The Fish Tales, #1) by Suanne Laqueur ; she rated it

Paula picked Swear on This Life by Renee Carlino ; she rated it

Leslie picked Love and Other Words by Christina Lauren ; she rated it 3 stars.

Lisa picked My Oxford Year by Julia Whelan ; she rated it

Renee picked Hydraulic Level Five (Hydraulic, #1) by Sarah Latchaw ; she rated it 3 stars.

Grey picked Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul, #1) by C.L. Wilson ; she is a super big slacker and didn't read any of her books this month and is REALLY sorry.

Ela picked Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid ; she rated it 2.5 stars

Jean picked...

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~
The choices that will be placed into the randomizer...
Rainfall
See Jane Score
Full Tilt
A Promise of Fire
Balance
Rainfall
Rainfall
Balance

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2458 comments In!!!

message 4: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments I'm in.

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula White | 795 comments I’m in

message 6: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) In!

message 7: by Nay (last edited Jul 28, 2018 06:12PM) (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Meeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 8: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments Me me me!!

message 9: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments I'm in too!

message 10: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4279 comments YO!

message 11: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Who was picked for this one?

message 12: by Grey (last edited Aug 01, 2018 05:49PM) (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Michele! Is our woman of honor this month, Michele's forever faves list!

message 13: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Sorry, I thought I posted this earlier and apparently it didn't send. sorry!!!!!

message 14: by Tessa (last edited Aug 01, 2018 06:12PM) (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments :) Accidents happen. You do all this for us as it is, so no complaints from me.

I pick Warprize (Chronicles of the Warlands, #1) by Elizabeth Vaughan . I bought it a while ago because Amy loved it, and well, it's fantasy. Now it's on Michele's list too? I gotta try it.

message 15: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) I think I'll pick The Man I Love The Man I Love (The Fish Tales, #1) by Suanne Laqueur
I started it ages ago but for some reason never finished it, so maybe it's time.

For my pick for the pot for the honouree.......hmmmm. I might think about this a bit more. BBL.

message 16: by Paula (new)

Paula White | 795 comments I will choose Swear on This Life by Renee Carlino

I choose Rainfall by Melissa Delport for Michele

message 17: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) OK I choose for Michele an oldie but goodie: See Jane Score See Jane Score (Chinooks Hockey Team, #2) by Rachel Gibson

message 18: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Michele has lots of goodies on her faves & TBR!!! Woot! Woot!

I am going to read: Love and Other Words Love and Other Words by Christina Lauren

My rec for Michele to read is Full Tilt (have tissues handy)

message 19: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments I forgot the choose aspect. Okay, I choose one I absolutely adored. A Promise of Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles, #1) by Amanda Bouchet

message 20: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments I pick Balance (Off Balance, #1) by Lucia Franco Balance for Michele to read.

Now I need to decide what I’m going to read...

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2458 comments I am choosing My Oxford Year

I signed up for Audible, and that is the book I chose, so I'm gonna listen to it. Can't wait - and it'll force me to try the audiobook!!!

Ohhhh, and I second Rainfall for Michele to read

message 22: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Lisa wrote: "I am choosing My Oxford Year

I signed up for Audible, and that is the book I chose, so I'm gonna listen to it. Can't wait - and it'll force me to try the audiobook!!!

Ohhhh, and I..."

That should be good, Lisa. The author, Julia Whelan is a narrator that I love, and she's narrating her own book! I've listened to several books she's done, but I really enjoyed Gone Girl.

message 23: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments I haven't decided what to pick from Michele's list yet, but for her I pick Rainfall too!!!!

message 24: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments I’ve decided that I’m finally going to read:

Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul, #1) by C.L. Wilson Lord of the Fading Lands

I need a fae fix!

message 25: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
I'm going to read the same one as Nay!

for Michelle... I think my phone is looking at the right lists. I am picking The Unrequited by Saffron Kent for you to read. enjoy!

message 26: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments Yay! I hope y’all enjoy your selections!!!

message 27: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments Grey wrote: "I'm going to read the same one as Nay!

for Michelle... I think my phone is looking at the right lists. I am picking The Unrequited by Saffron Kent for you to read. enjoy!"

I have read The Unrequited already!Great book!

message 28: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Shit shit shit
I hate my phone.

message 29: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments Grey wrote: "Shit shit shit
I hate my phone."

No worries - my lists are a bit confusing and my TBR is the size of the Grand Canyon!!!

message 30: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments These are the books I own from Michele's list that I haven't read yet:

Nine Minutes
God Shaped Hole
An Amber in Ashes
Gabriel's Inferno
All Your Perfects

.... now, for me to decide which one. Any feedback from the peanut gallery?

message 31: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments Well, if you want a fantasy read then Ember in the Ashes (but only if multiple POV doesn't bother you because it bounces from chapter to chapter).

Nine Minutes was a good story for sure - I was pleasantly surprised by that one

Read Gabriel's Inferno years ago but really liked it at the time

God shaped Hole was very good - - at least imo

All Your Perfects - - I mean it's Colleen Hoover - I read it in a day...

Oh and if CH/series books bother you, Ember in the Ashes and Nine Minutes are series books...I think Gabriel's Inferno has a sequel too but I can't remember for sure...

Good luck deciding...

message 32: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Ember in Ashes.

message 33: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Jean, All Your Perfects!!!!!!

message 34: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4279 comments I’m choosing Maybe in Another Life Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid

message 35: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4279 comments Jean wrote: "These are the books I own from Michele's list that I haven't read yet:

Nine Minutes
God Shaped Hole
An Amber in Ashes
Gabriel's Inferno
All Your Perfects

.... now, for me to decide which one. An..."

God Shaped Hole

message 36: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Rofl We all want her to pick something diffetent. We are no help at all.

message 37: by Steph (new)

Steph | 109 comments Jean wrote: "These are the books I own from Michele's list that I haven't read yet:

Nine Minutes
God Shaped Hole
An Amber in Ashes
Gabriel's Inferno
All Your Perfects

.... now, for me to decide which one. An..."

If you haven't picked yet, I vote Nine Minutes :)

message 38: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Jean--All Your Perfects!!!

But if you're in the mood for biker with a great storyline, Nine Minutes is awesome, although like Michele said, you need to prepare to read book 2.

message 39: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments Do I have a book assignment yet? Not that I’m at a standstill in reading ...just checking in so I don’t forget... 😉

message 40: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Aw crap, I'm slacking... nope, you don't, but you will soon.

message 41: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Michele... you are reading Balance (Off Balance, #1) by Lucia Franco Balance by Lucia Franco this month... Squee!!!

This was the list to choose from -
Rainfall
See Jane Score
Full Tilt
A Promise of Fire
Balance
Rainfall
Rainfall
Balance (I tossed this one in too, after I realized that Nay had put it in and you hadn't read it yet... I LOVED this series hard)

message 42: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Ela wrote: "I’m choosing Maybe in Another LifeMaybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid"

Oooh Ela, this one was cool. Plus I love that the h is a brunette who always wears a high bun like me. 😉

message 43: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Here's the main pretty...
~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~**~***~****~***

The honoree for July 2018 is ... Michele!!! Michele's ATF list

The book that was chosen from all of our suggestions and plucked from the magical randomizer for her to read is... Balance (Off Balance, #1) by Lucia Franco Balance by Lucia Franco!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From Michele's All Time Favorite's List:

Tessa picked Warprize (Chronicles of the Warlands, #1) by Elizabeth Vaughan ; she rated it

Jan picked The Man I Love (The Fish Tales, #1) by Suanne Laqueur ; she rated it

Paula picked Swear on This Life by Renee Carlino ; she rated it

Leslie picked Love and Other Words by Christina Lauren ; she rated it

Lisa picked My Oxford Year by Julia Whelan ; she rated it

Renee picked Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul, #1) by C.L. Wilson ; she rated it

Grey picked Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul, #1) by C.L. Wilson ; she rated it

Ela picked Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid ; she rated it

Jean picked...

message 44: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments Yay!!! Thanks I look forward to reading it!!

message 45: by Leslie (last edited Aug 06, 2018 01:42PM) (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Ok, now I can focus on Love and Other Words Love and Other Words by Christina Lauren

Everyone in my family needs to leave me the heck alone so I can read in peace. 😉

Michele, I am only at 12% but like it so far. The nerdy H named Elliot reminds me of one of MY all time faves Behind the Bars which also has a nerdy Elliot. *sighs dreamily*

message 46: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4279 comments Grey wrote: "Michele... you are reading Balance (Off Balance, #1) by Lucia Franco Balance by Lucia Franco this month... Squee!!!

This was the list to choose from -
Rainfall
See Jane Score
Full Tilt
A Promise of Fire
Balanc..."

I call BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU DIDN'T INCLUDE GOD SHAPED HOLE!

message 47: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Shit, I thought you were talking to Jean... *cry* Sorry, Ela...

message 48: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Michele is a pretty speedy reader... maybe we can convince her to read both :)

message 49: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments Which two? You know I like a good challenge? Balance is next up - I’m reading Seven Years now (PFM challenge) and loving it!!

message 50: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments I finished Love and Other Words Love and Other Words by Christina Lauren

I liked the then & now format and I always adore seeing the couple as kids & how they fell for each other. Even better if they were childhood neighbors. Going to spoiler the tag the rest... (view spoiler)

3*** as I liked beginning but got bored in second half.

« previous 1