Start by marking “Warprize (Chronicles of the Warlands, #1)” as Want to Read:
Warprize  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #1)

Warprize

(Chronicles of the Warlands #1)

SHE MUST CHOOSE BETWEEN HER PEOPLE AND HER FREEDOM...

Before she was old enough for a marriage-of-alliance, Xylara was trained as a healer. She can't usurp her brother or negotiate a peace--b
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published October 31st 2006 by Tor Paranormal Romance (first published June 13th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Warprize, please sign up.
Britney (BookDrunkSloth) We find out that in their culture, it is customary for each warrior to produce at least five children before they are allowed to start their training…moreWe find out that in their culture, it is customary for each warrior to produce at least five children before they are allowed to start their training to be warriors. None of them raise their own children. It sounded as though other members of their people called "theas" raised the children. Every warrior Lara meets has the tattoos showing the children they had before, even the women.(less)

new_user
Aug 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical
Warprize disappointed me. I had my first clue a few pages in when I realized the prose I could expect would be basic at best, for a romantic fantasy.

While I liked the premise of Warprize and Vaughan's grasp of relationships and human dynamics, the plot was mild, with little conflict to speak of and thus, little suspense or action or even upset. It's all very ho-hum.

I liked the hero Keir -he was to all appearances strong and charming and everything nice, an admittedly refreshing change from the
Helen 2.0
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Did anyone else notice that (in the paperback version at least) the spelling of the Warlord's name switched randomly in the middle of the book? For the first couple chapters it was "Kier" and then for the rest of the book it was "Keir". *frowns at editors*

Wow. This book was great. I read it in little bits because I was busy with buddy reads, but I'm glad I didn't give up on it. The writing was lovely, aside from editing oversights *frowns again*, and the world-building... Damn. Too interesting.

L
Jo
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gr2016, 5-stars, mine

Absolutely fantastic!!!!

“It is said that the attraction between warlord and warprize is as the heat of the sun that shines in the height of summer.”

I love fantasy, but b/c I’m such a romance addict I tend to read more romance than fantasy. It’s rare to find a fantasy book with a sufficient amount of romance, and this book was an absolute treasure ;-)

Lara is the daughter of a Warrior King, but for her there’s nothing more important than being a healer. Whether it’s friend or foe, anyone w

Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
A good book all around - not what I thought it would be but left me satisfied that I read it.

I thought this would have a "fantasy" aspect of it but instead we are given a story of a historical kingdom at war with a barbaric tribe.

There is a princess and a warlord....an angry brother/king and a group of barbarians who are more peaceful than the hooty-tooty society.
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
Re-read: 02.04.2017
I have no idea why I even started rereading this book. Sure, it's a alright read, but it's not something I'd write home about. Keir, Warlord of the Plains and Xylara “Lara”, Daughter of Xy are cute, separately they are great, the second characters are awesome, the concept and the world is fascinating... however, it's long. And a bit slow.
“You tried. That was all you could do. All any of us can do....”

Also, there insta-love, though it is written so one doesn't feel that
Lover of Romance
Warpize is the first book in the series, and books 1-3 could actually be one big book, since there are no breaks between books, it just starts off from where the previous book left off. Now for quite some time I kept putting these books off, but I finally decided I needed to try it. Now after reading this book I bought books 2 and 3!!! You go into this book, expecting it to be a average historical themed bodice ripper style of book...well nope it wasn't. Now there are some bodice rippers I love, ...more
Jen Davis
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. If you enjoy fantasy romance –even a little– I would recommend it without hesitation.

This is a story about people. By that I mean, it’s not an epic fantasy. It’s not about complicated politics or really nuanced worldbuilding. It’s about Lara, a wonderfully drawn healer, and her journey of sacrifice, empathy, and evolution. It’s about her Warlord hero, her friends, and her new community –all created with depth and care; all rich with real personality and designed with an impact
Samantha K
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one but it lacked big-time in the sex department. Sex department? Yeah, I don't think the word sex should be used in conjunction with the book. No kidding there's almost nothing here and very little description of the sex that does (finally!) happen. I also thought there was very little heat between the H and the h. Oh - and the story isn't over. It ended abruptly with no epilogue.

So why 4 stars? I'm not sure - lol. I'm not a fan of this type of "clean" book but I read the entire
Gail Carriger
Nov 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
This is a culture conflict comfort read for me. I just love the juxtaposition of Keir's pastoral nomadic tribes and Xylara's settled quazi-medieval world. The romance is sweet and poignant but equally balanced against wonderful alt-history fantasy worldbuilding. Side characters are excellent two, and there's solid LBGTQ representation (especially as the series progresses).

I love that there are flaws in culture and knowledge in both cultures, as well as strengths. Xylara must balance the two. I a
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
3.5 stars, maybe 4. It was good, moved slowly, but didn't so slowly I wanted to harm people.

Things I enjoyed:
- all the characters experienced growth.
- culture clash between city dwellers and tribal plainsman
- the ensuing miscommunication
- Lara, the princess, is a healer
- Keir, the Warlord, is sweet & hot.
- Political intrigue and drama

About the listed genre: not fantasy. No magic or fantastical beasts, it's a historical romance.

It's too hot to write a better review and I rather read b
Christa
8/18/18 - on sale for $1.99
This was a favorite book and it’s on sale today. If you like romantasy and excellent world building go buy it!

5 stars!!

It's like this book was written for me.
- detailed world building
- main character is a healer
- exploration of two different cultures
- the plot has romance but it's not front and center
- no instalove
- it's the first in a series!!! More books!!

This book reminded me of the Tainted Accords series by Kelly St Clare, so if you like one you'd probably like
Melanie A.
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow! Can Elizabeth Vaughan ever write!

Generally, I like the books I read to have a few layers of smut in them. (Shocking, I know!) So imagine my surprise when I found myself COMPLETELY embroiled in a book where not a single salaciously untoward thing happens! Especially when it's about a woman who's given as tribute to an invading barbarian Warlord. Somehow the author kept it classy, and I should have been disappointed! I should have been outraged! I should have dumped this book back at the libr
TJ
Aug 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-romance
4.5/5.0
There are books we read for suspense, some we read for the beauty of the word, other's to pit our minds against the authors to solve a mystery. Then, there are some that encompass the very reason books exist... the story. That, that has existed since time began, one person imagining worlds and people and love and trials to rise above, then weaving them into a story to entertain and to teach, the kind people used to tell at bedtime to capture the attention then ponder while drifting off. "
Holly
Nov 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
With an incompetent king on the throne, the kingdom of Xyian is in danger of falling to the Firelanders who swarm outside the city's gates. Thrust into a war that she can do nothing to prevent, Master Healer Xylara, sister to the king, does what she can to prevent the suffering of the men on both sides of the war. Heedless to her brother's demands that she stop treating the enemy, Xylara continues visiting the prisoners, doing the best she can to ease their conditions, and in doing so, brings he ...more
Kay
Jul 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: tyrant cooks
Recommended to Kay by: someone who lied about reading the Kushiel series
Someone recommended this book on an "If you liked Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Dart..." forum.

That was probably an ill-advised recommendation.

Other than being nothing at all like Kushiel, this book has its fair share of problems. Cardboard characters, mundane plot, and romantic cliches all abound in this incredibly ho-hum, stagnant excuse for a story. Most of the book revolves around Lara's tedious daily activities, and it gets old pretty quickly: Healing the wounded, picking off willow bark fr
Felicia
Sep 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Definitely one for the ladies. I enjoyed this book, it's very much a romance set in a fantasy world, if you like CL Wilson's trilogy you will like this. The main character can come off as a little unbelievable good at times, but I did feel the need to zip through in one night, so that's always a good sign :) I'll be reading the followups.
Minni Mouse
I adore stories about falling in love after arranged marriages. This book had the sweet tenderness from Radiance (just with a stronger plot apart from the romance), an intelligent healer like Claire from Outlander, and similar action and story elements as The Golden Dynasty (but without the tastleless gore and explicit sex).

In short, Warprize was a darling and entertaining story about a brave young woman in the middle of two medieval feuding kingdoms. No prophecies, no magic, no fey folk, n
Ari Reavis
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ari by: Logan Keys
First off to Logan Keys
 photo thanx_zpsmy2ldov9.gif
This book was fan-freaking-tastic. I am forever taking your book recommendations after this.

Ok now, in case you missed it from the beginning paragraph, this book blew my mind. It had everything I love. An arranged marriage, violence and fighting, treachery, great secondary characters. It just had it all. I was glued to each page. I walked around looking like a zombie for the past 2 days because I stayed up so late reading. Was it worth it?
 photo hell_zpsj6yw9zea.gif

I loved Lara. She was strong and
Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie
"Want to know the best part about being a warlord?" came a hoarse whisper. I bit my lip, puzzled by the question. Keir's mouth curled up slowly into a smile. "I always get what I want."

A bit of an anticlimactic quote since the war lord was in fact not a jerk! All jokes aside I did like this book, it wasn't amazing but there was something about it. I went in expecting a high fantasy romance with some magic and epic world building but aside from a little world building this was more of a romance
Sunny
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jonetta
Recommended to Sunny by: Phoebe
One of my favorite books as a kid was The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley. This book has the same feel. I was completely engrossed in the story. It is a great balance between action and character development. I was thoroughly engaged with the characters. Two small things could have made this stronger for me: 1. I would like to know more about Keir and his perspective. I think this was limited because the story is told from a singular point of view, Lara's. 2. As an adult reader, I could have used a ...more
Aisling Zena
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5-3.75 stars
Booknut
**Check out the original review over at 21st Century Once Upon A Times**
'"But he has claimed tribute."

(...) "What does he claim?" I took a step toward Xymund. Still, he did not turn. I looked around, but no one would meet my eyes.

At last, general Warren drew a breath. "You," he cleared his throat. "He claims you as tribute."

"Me?" My voice squeaked and sounded like it came from a distance.

Xymund did not turn. "As a slave."
'
Would you sacrifice your freedom for peace?

That question tends to be the o
Zeek
Lara is a healer and, in her eyes, that takes precedence over her royal blood. By simply being who she is, she finds herself sold as war booty to appease a warlord about to overtake her weak brother's kingdom.

And yet still, she is who she is, and her healing ways make her just as beloved by the people in the warlord's camp as she ever was in the Kingdom of Xy. Because she will not compromise her beliefs as a healer, she's about to change two kingdoms, for the better.

Loved every minute of this ch
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Love, love, LOVED it. Scholarly princess claimed by barbarian Warlord--yes, please ;)
Viktoria Winter
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who enjoy fantasy romance
I've decided to review this series as a whole! (Review to come.)
Johanna
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Once upon a time I was having a nice discussion with someone on here about the enemies-to-lovers trope and she recommended several books that I put onto my wish list for my kindle and hardly ever looked at again … well, last night I had a headache, was half asleep and absolutely wanted some romance so … I bought this book … and started reading … and didn't sleep enough so I had a headache for the rest day. Anyway. I finished!!!!
Well, this was surprisingly delightful. It's a classic enemies-to-lo
Pamela / SpazP
May 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Originally posted at WickedLilPixie Reviews

Wow, I truly don't even know how to begin this review. I just finished with this one and I enjoyed it so tremendously. I had intended to just pick it up and start it the night before another book was released the next day... then found myself up until 3 AM the next morning still reading because I could not put it down. Warprize is the first novel in Elizabeth Vaughan's Chronicles of the Warlands series and what a way to start a Fantasy Love Story trilog
Kara-karina
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is review of the first three books.

The story goes like this.

Warprize was mentioned on Dear Author along with Last Hour of Gann, and I decided to investigate what the hell they were talking about. While it's an absolutely different sub genre from what R.Lee Smith wrote, the main thread is the same: change is introduced to a rigid society with some very deep consequences, and we are invited to observe it.

This is a fantasy romance which I'd especially recommend to the fans of Amy Raby and Gra
Aneca
May 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2008
always hesitate when I am offered fantasy books, it might be a bit of a prejudice because I end up loving many of those recommended to me. This one was no exception.

SHE MUST CHOOSE BETWEEN HER PEOPLE AND HER FREEDOM..Xylara is the Daughter of the Warrior King, Xyron. With her father dead and her incompetent half-brother on the throne, the kingdom is in danger of falling to the warring Firelanders. Before she was old enough for a marriage-of-alliance, Xylara was trained as a healer. She can't us
Gail Carriger Fan...: June 2016: Warprize by Elizabeth Vaughan 6 41 Sep 16, 2016 04:29AM
I NEED SOMETHING SIMILAR!!!! 5 174 Feb 14, 2015 11:03AM
WORD Bangin' Book...: June Book Club Pick: Warprize 1 4 Jul 10, 2014 06:25AM
What's the Name o...: medieval romance brother sells sister into marriage [s] 7 82 Jan 07, 2014 01:10PM
My Interview with Elizabeth Vaughan! 1 20 Sep 24, 2012 01:50AM

• Lady of Light and Shadows (Tairen Soul, #2)
  • Princess of the Sword (Nine Kingdoms, #3)
  • Resenting the Hero (Hero, #1)
  • Impossible Things
  • Prince of Magic (Children of the Sun, #1)
  • Master of Crows (Master of Crows, #1)
  • The Fire Lord's Lover (The Elven Lords, #1)
  • King's Property (Queen of the Orcs, #1)
  • Vengeance Born (The Light Blade, #1)
  • The Battle Sylph (Sylph, #1)
  • My Lady Mage (Warriors of the Mist, #1)
  • Heart Change (Celta's Heartmates, #8)
  • The Battle Lord's Lady (Battle Lord Saga, #1)
  • The Last T'En (Last T'En Trilogy, #1)
  • Into the Dark Lands (The Sundered, #1)

Elizabeth A. Vaughan is the author of the Chronicles of the Warlands, a fantasy romance trilogy from Tor Books: Warprize (her first novel), Warsworn, and Warlord..

She's always loved fantasy and science fiction, and has been a fantasy role-player since 1981. By day, Beth's s

Chronicles of the Warlands (6 books)
  • Warsworn  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #2)
  • Warlord  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #3)
  • Warcry (Chronicles of the Warlands, #4)
  • WarDance (Chronicles of the Warlands, #5)
  • Warsong (Chronicles of the Warlands, #6)
“Want to know the best part of being a warlord?' came a hoarse whisper.

I bit my lip, puzzled by the question.

Keir’s mouth curled up slowly into a smile. 'I always get what I want.”
53 likes
“The only source of my power are the pages you hold and the words written thereon. As you read them, I hope the magic starts to work between my words and your imagination.” 32 likes