Review Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Finished rounds > Round 198 - In This World - Mod. Hock

Comments Showing 1-50 of 153 (153 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Hock (last edited Sep 22, 2018 05:37PM) (new)

Hock Tjoa (hockgtjoa) | 946 comments Mod
The review group hosts non-reciprocal reading/review rounds of ten authors with a variety of themes and genres. When a round has ‘now forming’ in the title and there are places available, you can sign up. If not, please look for another round.
The new Amazon rules state that authors/publishers are no longer allowed to supply published books in return for reviews on Amazon. To comply with this new rule, we no longer insist members review on Amazon. In your reviews please do not state that you have received a free copy in exchange for …

This is an in-this-world fiction round, no YA, fantasy or erotica.
If you are only willing to review your own preferred genre, make sure you join a genre round. Allocation is entirely random and there will NOT be any rearranging of the listing to accommodate personal preference. The ONLY circumstance in which you may duck out of giving a review is if YOU provide a stand-in reviewer.
Let’s be honest here – we don’t all like the same things but we all want reviews. The only way this group can function is if we trust each other to behave honorably. And it IS perfectly possible to give a fair-minded review of a text that does not coincide with our normal choice of reading matter. If you need a few hints/tips, please see this thread:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Now for the boring stuff, but please read it, it saves a lot of time if everyone is on the same wavelength.
Before signing up below with your Goodreads author and Goodreads book link in the thread below, please ensure that:
1. You have enough time to read and review 4 books within the time allowed.

2. Your book is currently available for sale on Amazon (not pre-order) and it complies with the individual round theme if there is one.

3. Your book is fit to be reviewed. If it is not, due to editing or other issues, you risk poor reviews. This is your problem, not that of the reviewers or the groups. For a small fee, the group admin will look at the first few pages of your book to advise. The number one error new authors make is not having their book beta read and edited, by non-family members.

4. You can submit reviews to Goodreads, amazon.com, and amazon.uk. If you are unsure about your Amazon reviewer status, try posting a ‘test’ review before signing up.

5. You can provide (and accept) at least PDF files. Many authors can also provide mobi and epub files. You are not expected or required to buy the books you are allocated to review. Some authors borrow books via KU and others provide Smashwords coupons. This is their choice. International Copyright laws apply. You cannot sell, or give away material you have received without the author’s express permission.

6. It is up to individuals what disclaimers they place in a review concerning receiving a book in exchange for a review. ‘I received a free copy from the author without an obligation to review’ would be more acceptable if you feel the need to add a disclaimer.

7. You have completed your reading if you are currently in another review round in this group. You can be involved in the ‘one for one’ list whilst you are in a round.

8. You have an author profile set up before you join.

9. Your Goodreads profile allows people to message you, i.e. your profile is not set to private.

10. You declare any relationship you have with another member in the round. Amazon will not allow reviews from the same household on the same book or if you are an editor, relative or close friend of another member.

11. You agree that your reviews will be unbiased and honest, whatever the star rating, and you will try to avoid ‘spoilers’. i.e. giving away the finale of a book.

12. You will not ask a fellow author to change a review of your book because you don’t agree with it. If you think you have a legitimate concern, talk to the mod of your round, NOT the other author. Personal attacks, or pressurizing other members WILL NOT BE TOLERATED and will result in you being blacklisted.

13. The new amazon.com review guidelines do not allow for free books to be supplied in return for reviews. Therefore, you are not obliged to review on Amazon, just on Goodreads. We all want reviews, its why we joined the group. It is bad taste to expect other people to review your book and then not do the same for other people in the group. People that DNF and/or don’t post reviews will find it difficult to get into a subsequent group.

14. Your Goodreads details and the rounds you participate in will be recorded by the admin mod on a database. We do not retain details of email addresses etc.
The founding principle of the group is honest, non-reciprocal reviews, so please help maintain the integrity of the group by letting me know as you sign up if you have been reviewed by, or have reviewed another author in the group. Usually places are allocated on a first come, first served basis.
It is permissible to review an author more than once if a different book is available. You may not review an author who has reviewed you or vice versa. Check your books in your Goodreads profile.
If you need anything clarified please ask, either by Goodreads personal message to me or on the thread below, before signing up. It’s a pain to have to keep rearranging the list because people haven’t read the above.

Your group moderator will be
Hock

Member Links
1.https://www.goodreads.com/GJGriffiths
2.Joni M. Fisher
3.T. Blake Braddy
4.Laura Koerber
5.David S. Fisher
6.Hock G. Tjoa
7.Dionne Abouelela
8.Eunice Nascimento
9.Laura Libricz
10.Robbie Cheadle

Book Links
1.Mules; Masters & Mud
2.North of the Killing Hand
3.Boogie House
4.I Once Was Lost, But Now I'm Found: Daisy and the Olympic Animal Sanctuary Rescue
5.Shadows of Darkness
6.The Chinese Spymaster
7.The Wrong Side of Twenty-Five
8.Smile Again: A Collection Of Short Stories
9.The Master and the Maid
10.While the Bombs Fell

START DATE:

END DATE:

Round 1 – post your review by
Round 2 – post your review by
Round 3 – post your review by
Round 4 – post your review by

Please remember the commitment you are making to your fellow group members. If you pull out after the start date for any reason it is the other members who will be faced with the problem of finding a replacement or missing out on reads/reviews, through no fault of their own. Please don’t ask the moderators to chase after replacements as we just don’t have the time.

It is the responsibility of the author to get their book to their readers in a format the reviewer can manage. Everyone must be able to provide and accept PDF. You may buy or borrow the books you are due to read if you wish, and I’m sure the author will appreciate the verified review, but IT IS NOT COMPULSORY. There are no set dates for the start of each round. You can each work at your own pace, within the limits of the round deadlines.

All reviews must be posted to GR. We also encourage members to post on Amazon .com and .uk. When you have posted your reviews, please post the three links to your reviews, not the book page in this thread.
The mod of each round will record whether members have posted reviews on Amazon. Members who persistently fail to post reviews or DNF reviews to Amazon will not be permitted into subsequent groups.

Postings to other sites are by agreement by both author and reviewer.

message 2: by Joni (new)

Joni Fisher (jonimfisher) | 15 comments What is the deadline for reading the 4 or more books?

message 3: by Hock (new)

Three weeks per book, so 12 weeks after the starting whistle.

message 4: by G.J. (new)

G.J. Griffiths (gjgriffiths) | 570 comments Mod
G J Griffiths
Mules; Masters & Mud

Hello Hock, Please sign me up with my historical fiction: Mules: Masters & Mud.
Thanks G.J.

message 5: by Hock (new)

Welcome, Graham. I like alliterations!

message 6: by Joni (new)

Joni Fisher (jonimfisher) | 15 comments Thank you, Hock! Please sign me up with my suspense novel: North of the Killing Hand.
Joni M. Fisher
North of the Killing Hand

message 7: by Hock (last edited Aug 01, 2018 07:46AM) (new)

Glad to welcome Joni with North of the Killing Hand.

I am entering people in the order they sign up but will be asking going forward for you to state that you have read the rules and whether or not you have reviewed anyone on the list.

message 8: by Joni (new)

Joni Fisher (jonimfisher) | 15 comments I have read the rules and I have not, as yet, read any works by the other author on the list.

message 9: by Hock (new)

I've added myself as #6.
If you have reviewed any of my work you can review me again, but I may not review you per Amazon rules.
Of course, I can shuffle the lineup.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura Koerber | 346 comments https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

I have one review left to do for another group and can get that review done today since I have finished the book.

I dont recognize any of the names so far.

message 11: by Hock (new)

We'll find a place for you - ;-) - just say when!

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura Koerber | 346 comments I'll get the review done this afternoon! Thanks!

message 13: by T. (new)

T. (tblakebraddy) | 30 comments I would like to sign up with my mystery novel, Boogie House. I have read the rules and have not, to my knowledge, reviewed any of the authors on the list. My book is permafree on Amazon; is that an issue with rule #13 regarding Amazon reviews?

Boogie House
T. Blake Braddy

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura Koerber | 346 comments I have finished my last reivw for the other group.

message 15: by J. (new)

J. Raffa (JRaffa) | 2 comments I have read the rules and I have not, as yet, read any works by the other author on the list.

My book is an adult coloring book.

https://amzn.to/2C85Prv

message 16: by Hock (last edited Sep 02, 2018 05:41PM) (new)

Pleased to welcome Blake and Boogie House. (No problem that I know of that it is free on Amazon.)

Laura and J. please say "when."

J. please add your book as a Goodreads book - it will make it possible for those who review you to leave a review.

message 17: by J. (new)

J. Raffa (JRaffa) | 2 comments Will do Hock. Thank you

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura Koerber | 346 comments "When" Hock--have completed the reviews for the other group.

message 19: by Hock (new)

Welcome to Laura and we look forward to J and others joining soon.

Please note that the non-reciprocal reviewing rule means you cannot review someone who has reviewed you. Please tell us if there is any question in your mind!

I will reorder the 'lineup' in this review group as necessary.

Regards,

message 20: by David (last edited Sep 09, 2018 07:28AM) (new)

David Fisher | 116 comments Hi,
I'd like to sign up with the following book:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...
David

message 21: by Hock (new)

Welcome, David.

Please confirm you've read the rules and are not aware of any conflict.

Thanks!

message 22: by David (new)

David Fisher | 116 comments Hock wrote: "Welcome, David.

Please confirm you've read the rules and are not aware of any conflict.

Thanks!"

Rules OK. Only conflict so far would be with Laura who has reviewed one of my books.

message 23: by Hock (new)

Thanks, David.
Laura may review another book and you and she need to sort that out.
You cannot review anyone who has reviewed you - that is the main principle in this Group! I will re-arrange the line-up if necessary to maintain that principle.

message 24: by David (new)

David Fisher | 116 comments Hock wrote: "Thanks, David.
Laura may review another book and you and she need to sort that out.
You cannot review anyone who has reviewed you - that is the main principle in this Group! I will re-arrange the l..."

Yes, I agree. As long as you keep us apart on the line-up, there should be no problem.

message 25: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Wright (imahappywriter) Hi! I'd like to sign up.
The Wrong Side of Twenty Five

message 26: by Hock (new)

Welcome, Dionne!
We need three more to complete this group !

Please do confirm that you have read the rules and do not know of any conflict, thanks.

message 27: by Eunice (new)

Eunice Nascimento | 177 comments Hello. May I join in with my short story collection?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

I've read the rules and have no conflicts so far.

message 28: by Hock (new)

Welcome, Eunice and Smile Again.

Two more to go!

message 29: by Laura (new)

Laura Libricz (lauralibricz) | 78 comments Hi, is there still room? I'd like to join. I have two historical novels. Hock, you've read one of them. I haven't read any of these books yet. I'd prefer reviews for the second book but it would be fine for the first as well.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 30: by Hock (new)

Welcome, Laura - there's no problem for me to review a different book - The Soldier Returns, I think.

Just one more!

message 31: by David (new)

David Fisher | 116 comments Have already reviewed The Master and the Maid

message 32: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Cheadle | 97 comments Hi Hock

I would like to join if my new book is suitable. It is called While the Bombs Fell and is a historical novel about a young girl growing up in Bungay during WWII.

message 33: by Hock (last edited Sep 24, 2018 09:25AM) (new)

Welcome, Robbie.
I think this will work - we have a go.

David and I will have to review a different book of Laura's.

The following lists all ten of us as authors with our assignments - authors we must review. Authors please make life smoother by sending your reviewers a Message with your email and preferred reading format - pdf, kindle/mobi or epub.

The second list shows each author with the four persons who will review him or her. It is the author's responsibility to ensure that the reviewers receive your book in the preferred format.

LIST ONE - authors and review assignments

G J Griffiths to review
Joni M. Fisher
T. Blake Braddy
Laura Koerber
David S. Fisher

Joni M. Fisher to review
T. Blake Braddy
Laura Koerber
David S. Fisher
Hock G. Tjoa

T. Blake Braddy to review
Laura Koerber
David S.Fisher
Hock G. Tjoa
Dionne Abouelela

Laura Koerber to review
David S. Fisher
Hock G. Tjoa
Dionne Abouelela
Eunice Nascimento

David S. Fisher to review
Hock G. Tjoa
Dionne Abouelela
Eunice Mascimento
Laura Libricz

Hock G. Tjoa to review
Dionne Abouelela
Eunice Nascimento
Laura Libricz
Ronnie Cheadle

Dionne Abouelela to review
Eunice Nascimento
Laura Libricz
Robbie Cheadle
G J Griffiths

Eunice Nascimento to review
Laura Libricz
Robbie Cheadle
G J Griffiths
Joni M. Fisher

Laura Libricz to review
Robbie Cheadle
G J Griffiths
Joni M. Fisher
T. Blake Braddy

Robbie Cheadle to review
G J Griffiths
Joni M. Fisher
T. Blake Braddy
Laura Koerber

LIST TWO - author send your books to -

G J Griffiths, send your book to
Dionne Abouelela
Eunice Nascimento
Laura Libricz
Robbie Cheadle

Joni M. Fisher, send your book to
Eunice Nascimento
Laura Libricz
Robbie Cheadle
G J Griffiths

T. Blake Braddy, send your book to
Laura Libricz
Robbie Cheadle
G J Griffiths
Joni M. Fisher

Laura Koerber, send your book to
Robbie Cheadle
G J Griffiths
Joni M. Fisher
T. Blake Braddy

David S. Fisher, send your book to
G J Griffiths
Joni M. Fisher
T. Blake Braddy
Laura Koerber

Hock G. Tjoa, send your book to
Joni M. Fisher
T. Blake Braddy
Laura Koerber
David S. Fisher

Dionne Abouelela, send your book to
T. Blake Braddy
Laura Koerber
David S. Fisher
Hock G. Tjoa

Eunice Nascimento, send your book to
Laura Koerber
David S. Fisher
Hock G. Tjoa
Dionne Abouelela

Laura Libricz, send your book to
David S. Fisher
Hock G. Tjoa
Dionne Abouelela
Eunice Nascimento

Robbie Cheadle, send your book to
Hock G Tjoa
Dionne Abouelela
Eunice Nascimento
Laura Libricz

Everybody, please check again for any conflict
Assuming none, this Review Round 198 will begin at midnight Sept. 20 and
round 1 reviews are due three weeks after that - Oct. 11
round 2 reviews due Nov. 1
round 3 reviews due Nov. 22
and round 4 due Dec. 13.

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura Koerber | 346 comments David, Hock, Dionne, and Eunice: I bought your books so don't worry about sending them to me.

message 35: by Eunice (new)

Eunice Nascimento | 177 comments Thank you Laura!

message 36: by David (new)

David Fisher | 116 comments Hi Hock,
You've allocated the two books to me which I specifically said that I had already reviewed them. See #21 and #34.
Why?

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura Libricz (lauralibricz) | 78 comments Hi Hock, I'm sorry, I have noticed a conflict. I have reviewed David Fisher and T. Blake Braddy has reviewed me already. Sorry I haven't noticed before.

message 38: by Laura (new)

Laura Koerber | 346 comments There are two Lauras in this group. I will now go by Laura K. and laura K is not aware of any conflicts.

message 39: by Laura (new)

Laura Koerber | 346 comments Laura K has reviewed David Fisher before but it was a different book, so that's OK.

message 40: by Eunice (new)

Eunice Nascimento | 177 comments No conflicts for me.

message 41: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Cheadle | 97 comments Hi all

Could David S. Fisher
Hock G Tjoa
Dionne Abouelela
Eunice Nascimento please email me at sirchoc@outlook.com with your email address. I will gift you a kindle copy of While the Bombs Fell. Thank you

message 42: by Robbie (new)

I remember that I reviewed you for round 168 at the beginning of the year. Is it okay for you to review my book in this round?

message 43: by Hock (last edited Sep 17, 2018 01:07PM) (new)

Laura wrote: "Hi Hock, I'm sorry, I have noticed a conflict. I have reviewed David Fisher and T. Blake Braddy has reviewed me already. Sorry I haven't noticed before."

This is a good example of what is a conflict - you can review some one that you have reviewed before, i.e., David ass uming he can send you a different book. You cannot review someone who has reviewed you, i.e., Blake Braddy. (But you are not assigned to review him.)

Thanks for all your cooperation.

message 44: by David (new)

David Fisher | 116 comments Robbie wrote: "Hi all

Could David S. Fisher
Hock G Tjoa
Dionne Abouelela
Eunice Nascimento please email me at sirchoc@outlook.com with your email address. I will gift you a kindle copy of While the Bombs Fell. T..."

David Fisher at skipper.dsf@gmail.com MOBI format. Thanx.

message 45: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Cheadle | 97 comments Thank you, David. I gifted you a copy. David wrote: "Robbie wrote: "Hi all

Could David S. Fisher
Hock G Tjoa
Dionne Abouelela
Eunice Nascimento please email me at sirchoc@outlook.com with your email address. I will gift you a kindle copy of While th..."

message 46: by Hock (new)

Thanks, everyone for your cooperation!
Unless there is anyone who has not received even one book to read and review - we are off!
It is the responsibility of the authors to send the book to be reviewed.
Reviews can be done in any order but please keep the pace - see message #33.

message 47: by David (new)

David Fisher | 116 comments David wrote: "Robbie wrote: "Hi all

Could David S. Fisher
Hock G Tjoa
Dionne Abouelela
Eunice Nascimento please email me at sirchoc@outlook.com with your email address. I will gift you a kindle copy of While th..."

Robbie, You are not on my list!

message 48: by Laura (new)

Laura Libricz (lauralibricz) | 78 comments Hi Dionne,

Could you please PM me your email address?

message 49: by Robbie (new)

Could you kindly confirm who I should send my book to - I understood it was the four people mentioned below.

David wrote: "David wrote: "Robbie wrote: "Hi all

Could David S. Fisher
Hock G Tjoa
Dionne Abouelela
Eunice Nascimento please email me at sirchoc@outlook.com with your email address. I will gift you a kindle co..."

message 50: by Hock (new)

Hi, everyone, especially Robbie and David -
I refer to message #33 in which every member of this group appears in TWO lists.

The first list shows the authors to be reviewed by each of us. Everyone has four names assigned to be reviewed. Those to be reviewed have to take the initiative to send the book to be reviewed.

The second list shows each of us who will send his/her book to the four people.

This setup is not intuitive (but it is not calculus). There may be easier ways to do this, but please respect the work of those who have nurtured this group to the point where it has nearly four thousand members and two hundred rounds of reviews.

I must point out also that having joined this group, every one incurred an obligation to follow through. I understand that one or more of us has been slow to respond.

What happens next is beyond the scope of my responsibility as the moderator. I shall report anyone who does not keep the bargain to the super-moderator. I believe that such breaches result in being banned from future participation in this group.

Please let's get on with reading and reviewing!

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.