Start by marking “The Soldier’s Return (Heaven's Pond Trilogy Book 2)” as Want to Read:
The Soldier’s Return (Heaven's Pond Trilogy Book 2)

The Soldier’s Return

(Heaven's Pond Trilogy)

The year is 1626. A senseless war rips through parts of Germany. Ongoing animosity between the Catholics and the Protestants has turned into an excuse to destroy much of the landscape situated between France, Italy and Denmark. But religion only plays a minor role in this lucrative business of war.

The young dutchman, Pieter van Diemen, returns to Amsterdam in chains after
Paperback, Kindle Edition , 331 pages
Published September 15th 2017 by Blue Heron Book Works, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Soldier’s Return, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Soldier’s Return

N.N. Light
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A riveting, realistic tale that takes the reader back into living the 17th century life of people during the tumultuous days of the Thirty Years War. This book is the second book of a series but stands on its own as a great read. The author manages to tell the personal story of many people. The angst of getting through the basics of life is stridently presented. Katrina is a heroine that resonates with the reader and the ending of this book, once more, leaves the reader wanting more.

A brilliant,
Donna Maguire

This is a great story and a really good historical fiction novel. I love the setting and I am a fan of that period of history and crave reading anything by new authors to me.

The plot in the book was well researched and it was historically accurate for the period. The writing style and pace is spot on for the book and I loved the characters and their interaction. They work so well together to give an excellent book all round.

The Soldier’s Return is the sec
Florian Armas
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Although ‘The Soldier’s Return’ records the brutal period of the Thirty Years’ War, the author crafted a book having no battles and no fights for glory. The best thing about this novel is the scope: the war is almost invisible but omnipresent, hidden in the shadow of the many people suffering its consequences. Violence against simple people, robberies, rapes are the norm in a time when being weak and without defense is an invitation for pillage.
It is an engaging work, without a ‘hero’, describin
Douglas Charles Charles
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An expansive saga of early 17th Century Germany during the Catholic Counter-Reformation, The Thirty Years’ War, and the Witch Trials of Bamberg – one of the most destructive conflicts in human history. This exquisite narrative follows the travails of a kept farm maid, an alcoholic soldier on the run, and a sadistic Jesuit priest hellbent to rid the region from pestilence, famine and evil through tortuous and murderous forms of purification. Through the lives of these characters we experience the ...more
Amy
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Soldier’s Return is the second installment from the intriguing The Heaven’s Pond Trilogy. I enjoyed this one as much as book one, The Master and the Maid. The author masterfully crafted a wonderfully written historical. I felt like I was right there living among the people experiencing the struggles and horrors of the time.

I am anxiously awaiting for the third book from The Heaven’s Pond Trilogy to release and find out where the author takes the reader next.

I highly recommend it.

Five stars
Amy Bruno
Jul 05, 2017 marked it as wishlist
HFVBT Presents Laura Libricz's THE SOLDIER'S RETURN #BookBlast, Sept 4-15

http://bit.ly/TSRBookBlast #historical #historicalfiction #germany #history
Melinda Brasher
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This is an unusual time period and setting for a book, and I learned some things about the Thirty Years’ War and rural Germany in the 17th century. Some of the details about herbal remedies at the time are quite interesting too. I believe the book is well researched, and the setting is well drawn.

However, it needs a good deal of pruning to eliminate repetition in the narration, dialogue, and events. Characters often recount to each other what just happened or awkwardly tell each other things the
Mary Yarde
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When Laura Libricz approached me and asked if I would like to read an ARC of The Soldier’s Return ~ Book #2 of Heaven's Pond Trilogy, I jumped at the chance. I so enjoyed book #1 that I could not wait to head back to this fascinating time in German history.

The period that Ms. Libricz writes about is one not often seen in historical fiction but it was a very compelling and bloodthirsty era, and The Soldier's Return reflects this. This book is not for the faint-hearted, there are multiple rapes an
Bruce Perrin
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Historical Fiction Where Everyday Life is a Test of Survival

Historical fiction can entertain with a look at everyday life, especially when that life is much different than our own. The Soldier’s Return by Laura Libricz is a good example of that approach.

The book provides an unflinching look at life during the Thirty Years’ War (1618 to 1648), one of the longest and deadliest conflicts in Europe. But the wounds the novel depicts aren’t from the battlefield, but from the mercenaries who live off
J.P. Willson
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I must say I did actually finish this book a few days ago and had not yet written the review because I just couldn't conclude what I thought was pertinent. I do not normally read other reviews before posting my own but in this case I have. In respect to the Thirty Years war which seemed to be a theme of the reviews I did read, this is a topic I know nothing about, have never heard of even; and I am war buff.
Personally I really don't see much a connection to this war except for the time frame. Un
Jacqui Letran
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The author has a way of drawing the readers in with her descriptive writing and compelling storytelling. It’s easy to connect with the characters and the story, even though some scenes were difficult to read because of its subject matter. I don’t know much about this time period, but after reading The Soldier’s Return, I’m compelled to learn more and I’m excited to read the first book.
Christie Sitterly
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
The Soldier’s Return by Laura Libricz is a devastating historical novel that takes place in Germany during the Thirty Years’ War.

Main character, Katarina, is a servant in love with her master. Katarina also takes care of a young orphan girl who becomes the center of the story.

Her master’s compound lies in an area that is often pillaged by soldiers on their way to fighting. Anything of value is stolen or destroyed, including the women's’ virtues as they are subject to beatings and rapes. Katari
Phyllis Goodwin
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it
This novel by Laura Libricz is extremely long - forty nine chapters or fifty if you count the prologue. It's the second book in a trilogy and takes place in the 1600s around the Nuremberg area. The structure of the novel is unusual in that it's difficult to see a beginning, middle and conclusion. This is probably because each chapter is dedicated to one character. I particularly liked how Katarina was portrayed by Sebalt Tucher: 'I could not cage her as would have been my first desire. She is a ...more
Scott Spotson
Oct 07, 2017 rated it liked it
The Soldier's Return follows the stories of several characters as they live a harsh life, sometimes on the run or under attack, in 1626 Germany, during an era where mercenaries roamed the European continent because of the Thirty Years' War, when the conflict was mainly between Catholic and Protestant states, even within a country's borders. It was a brutal, confusing time as sides switched tactics, loyalties, and territory, doing battle but with little overall accomplishment, as opposed to, for ...more
Anita Nasr
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I had read and enjoyed the first book in the Heaven’s Pond trilogy a good year and a half ago, and remember being appropriately peeved that the ending had come too soon, and so I was looking forward to the second instalment. Avid readers of the historical fiction genre have a lot to look forward to, the author having made great use of this specific era.

The title—The Soldier’s Return—should have tipped me off that the scope of the story would widen to accommodate a character other than those cen
Franca Pelaccia
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Germany, 1636 and the Thirty Years' War is raging in Central Europe between Protestants and Catholics. But it is also dividing the loyalties of people and empowering mercenaries and anyone else with any semblance of power with opportunities to make money, take over property or homes, displace residents or get food. The Soldier's Return, the second book of The Heaven's Pond Trilogy, follows a large cast of characters and two main plot lines against this background in 1636 Germany. The main plot i ...more
Emily Williams
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This enjoyable story was quite an eye opener to the brutal war but set through the lives and eyes of its well drawn out characters so is less ‘heavy’ than I presumed it would be. The book is well researched and as far as I know, historically accurate. It isn’t a period I know very well and I enjoyed learning more about it. The author cleverly pulls you into the plot with her vivid descriptions and colourful characters which are well narrated. Overall a good read. I really felt for Katrina and fo ...more
Christy Nicholas
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
The author isn’t afraid of torturing her characters, a philosophy of which I approve! The war-torn background of this story gives plenty of opportunity to increase the conflict and tension, showing character strength and weakness in stark relief. I would have liked to see a bit more character arc at the end, a happier conclusion even for a small subplot here and there, to give hope. I enjoyed the exploration of Ralf and his villainy, as well as Katarina’s own family.
Bathsheba Monk
Aug 28, 2018
Diane Jackson
rated it did not like it
May 10, 2019
Leslie Smith
Jul 05, 2017
Andrea Zuvich
Jul 06, 2017
Laura Libricz
Aug 16, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Laura Reading
McPhaul M.
Mar 11, 2019
Christian Boustead
May 28, 2019
Laura Libricz was born and raised in Bethlehem PA and moved to Upstate New York when she was 22. After working a few years building Steinberger guitars, she received a scholarship to go to college. She tried to ‘do the right thing’ and study something useful, but spent all her time reading German literature.

She earned a BA in German at The College of New Paltz, NY in 1991 and moved to Germany, whe

Heaven's Pond Trilogy (2 books)
  • The Master and the Maid: #1 in the Heaven's Pond Trilogy (Volume 1)