2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE: Monthly Challenges > August - Royally Challenged

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rachael (last edited Sep 05, 2018 10:36AM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3202 comments ROYALLY CHALLENGED
Duration: 1 August 2018 - 31 August 2018

For this month's theme of royalty, we received several creative ideas from our members so we've decided to combine some of them into one challenge.

1. Many monarchs had nicknames (e.g. Catherine the Great, Ivan the Terrible, Louis XIV - the Sun King). Read a book featuring a monarch who had a nickname
2. In the music industry, some artists are known as royalty (e.g. Michael Jackson is known as the King of Pop, Dolly Parton is the Queen of Country Music). Read a book about one of these musicians or one that features a character who is a musician
3. It is well known that Henry VIII, King of England, had 6 wives. Read a book about the Tudors or a book where someone has remarried
4. A deck of cards features 12 members of royalty: a King, a Queen and a Jack in each suit. Read a book that has heart, club, diamond or spade in the title
5. Purple is considered to be one of the colours of royalty so read a book with a purple cover
6. Heirs are important for continuing the royal line. Read a book about someone raising a child
7. There are around 28 current monarchs in the world. Read a book where a character has the same name as one of these monarchs
8. There are many different words relating to the theme of royalty (throne, castle, ruler, sovereign, crown etc to name but a few). Read a book that features a royal word in the title

Thanks to Lisa, Joey, Robin, Shanna and Meghan for their creative ideas!
I will be leading this challenge.

---------------------------
Participants
(updated to message 72)

✅ Amanda 1/1
Anissa 0/2
✅ Brittany 3/3
Cindy III 0/1
✅ Debra 4/4
Dlyn 0/3
✅ Greg 4/4
Jess 0/8?
Laura 1/3
Leslie 0/2
Lisa 0/1?
✅ Megan 6/5
✅ Megan BG 4/4
✅ Mie 3/3
✅ Nikki 5/5
✅ Octothorpe Reader 6/6
✅ Rachael 3/3
Robin 0/2
✅ SarahKat 2/2
Satin 0/2
Savannah 0/5
✅ Tahera 1/1
✅ Tania 5/4

message 2: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 72 comments 1. Many monarchs had nicknames (e.g. Catherine the Great, Ivan the Terrible, Louis XIV - the Sun King). Read a book featuring a monarch who had a nickname
2. In the music industry, some artists are known as royalty (e.g. Michael Jackson is known as the King of Pop, Dolly Parton is the Queen of Country Music). Read a book about one of these musicians or one that features a character who is a musician
3. It is well known that Henry VIII, King of England, had 6 wives. Read a book about the Tudors or a book where someone has remarried
4. A deck of cards features 12 members of royalty: a King, a Queen and a Jack in each suit. Read a book that has heart, club, diamond or spade in the title
5. Purple is considered to be one of the colours of royalty so read a book with a purple cover
6. Heirs are important for continuing the royal line. Read a book about someone raising a child
7. There are around 28current monarchs in the world. Read a book where a character has the same name as one of these monarchs
8. There are many different words relating to the theme of royalty (throne, castle, ruler, sovereign, crown etc to name but a few). Read a book that features a royal word in the title

message 3: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 297 comments For #7, where can we find out who these current monarchs are? I don't know off the top of my head to be honest.

message 4: by Lynn (last edited Jul 26, 2018 12:39AM) (new)

Lynn | 297 comments Please put me down for 3! :)

0/3

Big Little Lies

8. There are many different words relating to the theme of royalty (throne, castle, ruler, sovereign, crown etc. to name but a few). Read a book that features a royal word in the title.
Red Queen

message 5: by Angela Jr. (last edited Jul 25, 2018 11:47AM) (new)

Angela Jr. I don't want to participate, but i want to suggest a book for a task: (in case anyone here needs inspiration :P)

I'd recommend The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid! Fantastic story and also easy to read :)
When I saw the task, i immediately thought of this book.

message 6: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 297 comments Kristin wrote: "Dlyn wrote: "For #7, where can we find out who these current monarchs are? I don't know off the top of my head to be honest."

Here you go, Dlyn: http://www.royaltymonarchy.com/sovere......"

Thank you!!

message 7: by Megan, Challenges (last edited Aug 26, 2018 10:03AM) (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6669 comments I'm in for five!

1. Read a book featuring a monarch who had a nickname - Brother’s Ruin by Emma Newman - completed
2. Read a book about one of these musicians or one that features a character who is a musician - Tyler Johnson Was Here by Jay Coles - completed
3. Read a book about the Tudors or a book where someone has remarried - The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks - completed
4. Read a book that has heart, club, diamond or spade in the title
5. Read a book with a purple cover - Exit West by Mohsin Hamid - completed
6. Read a book about someone raising a child - White Oleander by Janet Finch - completed
7. Read a book where a character has the same name as one of these monarchs
8. Read a book that features a royal word in the title - Midnight Jewel by Richelle Mead - completed

6/5 - challenge completed!

message 8: by Debra (last edited Aug 26, 2018 11:42AM) (new)

Debra Barstad | 362 comments sign me up for 4
1. Read a book about one of these musicians or one that features a character who is a musician I Love The 80s
2. Read a book that has heart, club, diamond or spade in the title
Change of Heart

3. read a book with a purple cover Slide
4. Read a book that features a royal word in the title
Confessions of a Queen B*

message 9: by Savannah (last edited Jul 25, 2018 11:58PM) (new)

Savannah | 232 comments I guess put me in for a tentative 5...I don't typically read about royalty or things like this haha

5. Read a book with a purple cover

6. Read a book about someone raising a child

7. Read a book where a character has the same name as one of these monarchs.

8. Read a book that features a royal word in the title

message 10: by Cindy III (new)

Cindy III | 323 comments I am in for 1

message 11: by Megan BG (last edited Aug 22, 2018 08:18AM) (new)

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1397 comments I'm going to try for 4...

4/4

1. Read a book featuring a monarch who had a nickname
2. Read a book about one of these musicians or one that features a character who is a musician
3. Read a book about the Tudors or a book where someone has remarried
4. Read a book that has heart, club, diamond or spade in the title: Spoken from the Heart
5. Read a book with a purple cover
6. Read a book about someone raising a child: Whisper Me This
7. Read a book where a character has the same name as one of these monarchs: Greyhound
8. Read a book that features a royal word in the title: Red Queen

message 12: by Robin (new)

Robin A I have a busy month coming up so I will try for 2

message 13: by Nikki (last edited Aug 16, 2018 06:06PM) (new)

Nikki (nikki_framke) | 276 comments This is my last month of summer vacation before it's back to work with the kiddos....so I'm going to try for 5 :)

✅1. Read a book featuring a monarch who had a nickname - Mary, Bloody Mary
2. Read a book about one of these musicians or one that features a character who is a musician
3. Read a book about the Tudors or a book where someone has remarried
✅5. Read a book with a purple cover - The Iron Daughter
✅6. Read a book about someone raising a child - Songs for the Missing
✅7. Read a book where a character has the same name as one of these monarchs - Just a Bit Obsessed
✅8. Read a book that features a royal word in the title - The Iron Queen

5/5 Complete --- CHALLENGE COMPLETE

message 14: by Octothorpe Reader Leora K (last edited Jul 31, 2018 09:14AM) (new)

Octothorpe Reader Leora K (octothorpereaderleorak) | 276 comments I am in for 4 so far...

1. It is well known that Henry VIII, King of England, had 6 wives. Read a book about the Tudors or a book where someone has remarried – The Bear and the Nightingale
2. Read a book that has heart, club, diamond or spade in the title
3. Read a book with a purple cover – The Silver Bough (my hardcover edition of this book is purple.)
4. Read a book about someone raising a child
5. Read a book where a character has the same name as one of these monarchs – Crazy Rich Asians
6. Read a book that features a royal word in the title – Red Queen

message 15: by Rachael (last edited Aug 15, 2018 11:22AM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3202 comments I'm going to read three for this challenge.

✅ A book about the Tudors: The Queen's Fool read 15 August, **** with review
✅ A book with a royal word in the title: Red Queen read 6 August, **** with review
✅ A book with a purple cover: The Book of Tomorrow read 9 August, ***

COMPLETED: 3/3

message 16: by Robin (new)

Robin A 3. It is well known that Henry VIII, King of England, had 6 wives. Read a book about the Tudors or a book where someone has remarried Queen's Gambit by Elizabeth Fremantle put on hold at library hope to get soon

message 17: by Robin (new)

Robin A 3. It is well known that Henry VIII, King of England, had 6 wives. Read a book about the Tudors or a book where someone has remarried Queen's Gambit by Elizabeth Fremantle put on hold at library hope to get soon

message 18: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3071 comments I'll go for 2

message 19: by Mie (last edited Aug 21, 2018 12:17PM) (new)

Mie | 1944 comments I’m in for 3, please 😊

3/3 COMPLETE ✔️

✅ 4. A deck of cards features 12 members of royalty: a King, a Queen and a Jack in each suit. Read a book that has heart, club, diamond or spade in the title - Where the Heart Is - 4⭐️

✅ 8. There are many different words relating to the theme of royalty (throne, castle, ruler, sovereign, crown etc to name but a few). Read a book that features a royal word in the title - Red Queen - 3⭐️

✅ 7. There are around 28 current monarchs in the world. Read a book where a character has the same name as one of these monarchs - Det andet ansigt - 4⭐️

message 20: by Brittany (last edited Aug 17, 2018 04:54PM) (new)

Brittany Morrison | 401 comments I'll be moving this month so I don't know how much time I'll get for reading. I think I can manage 3 though.

5. Purple is considered to be one of the colours of royalty so read a book with a purple cover - Purple Daze finished 08/06/2018

3. It is well known that Henry VIII, King of England, had 6 wives. Read a book about the Tudors or a book where someone has remarried - She Wore Red Trainers finished 08/14/218

8. There are many different words relating to the theme of royalty (throne, castle, ruler, sovereign, crown etc to name but a few). Read a book that features a royal word in the title - The Princess Diaries finished 08/17/2018

Purple Daze by Sherry Shahan She Wore Red Trainers by Na'ima B. Robert The Princess Diaries (The Princess Diaries, #1) by Meg Cabot

message 21: by Ma (new)

Ma Wi | 1 comments Dlyn wrote: "Please put me down for 3! :)

0/3

6. Heirs are important for ..."

i know big little lies..... well writing piece .... enjoy reading it ...

message 22: by Tahera (new)

Tahera | 97 comments For #8 if the title has the word 'Count' in it will it be accepted?

message 23: by Tania (last edited Aug 24, 2018 12:27PM) (new)

Tania | 949 comments COMPLETE
ROYALLY CHALLENGED
Duration: 1 August 2018 - 31 August 2018

Progress: 5/4

✓1. Many monarchs had nicknames (e.g. Catherine the Great, Ivan the Terrible, Louis XIV - the Sun King). Read a book featuring a monarch who had a nickname - The Royal House of Monaco: Dynasty of Glamour, Tragedy and Scandal by John Glatt (finished 8/17), Prince Ranier III was known as The Builder Prince and Prince Albert was known as The Sporting Prince, my review is here
✓3. It is well known that Henry VIII, King of England, had 6 wives. Read a book about the Tudors or a book where someone has remarried - The Lady in the Tower: The Fall of Anne Boleyn by Alison Weir (finished 8/3), about the Tudors and King Henry VIII is remarried, my review is here
✓6. Heirs are important for continuing the royal line. Read a book about someone raising a child - History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund (finished 8/7), the storylines of Patra and Leo raising Paul and of how Linda is raised are central to the book, my review is here
✓7. There are around 28 current monarchs in the world. Read a book where a character has the same name as one of these monarchs - The Last Wife of Henry VIII by Carolly Erickson (finished 8/9), Elizabeth, my review is here
✓8. There are many different words relating to the theme of royalty (throne, castle, ruler, sovereign, crown etc to name but a few). Read a book that features a royal word in the title - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling (finished 8/23), my review is here

message 24: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 337 comments Hello I’m in for 2
I’d like to do number 7 and number 2

Octothorpe Reader Leora K (octothorpereaderleorak) | 276 comments Tahera wrote: "For #8 if the title has the word 'Count' in it will it be accepted?"

In my opinion I would say yes, as Count or Countess is a status given to a noble person. If in doubt go without.
One of the moderators might be able to yay or nay.

message 26: by Mie (new)

Mie | 1944 comments Update msg 20: 1/3
✅ 4. A deck of cards features 12 members of royalty: a King, a Queen and a Jack in each suit. Read a book that has heart, club, diamond or spade in the title - Where the Heart Is - 4⭐️

message 27: by Greg (new)

Greg (lupercross) | 1714 comments I will jump in for 4.

message 28: by Rachael (last edited Aug 01, 2018 10:07AM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3202 comments Tahera wrote: "For #8 if the title has the word 'Count' in it will it be accepted?"
Yes, this is ok. As Octothorpe Reader says above, Count/Countess is a title associated with royalty. I would also accept Lady/Lord for the same reason.

Just to let you all know that I will be leading this challenge. I will create the participants list shortly (see message 1 under the task list) Hope you all enjoy the challenge!

message 29: by Amanda (last edited Aug 21, 2018 02:27PM) (new)

Amanda | 526 comments I think I'll just commit to 1 this time.

1/1

1. Many monarchs had nicknames (e.g. Catherine the Great, Ivan the Terrible, Louis XIV - the Sun King). Read a book featuring a monarch who had a nickname
7. There are around 28 current monarchs in the world. Read a book where a character has the same name as one of these monarchs
✔8. There are many different words relating to the theme of royalty (throne, castle, ruler, sovereign, crown etc to name but a few). Read a book that features a royal word in the title
The Princess Saves Herself in this One by Amanda Lovelace

message 30: by Greg (new)

Greg (lupercross) | 1714 comments A Crown of Swords for my first book.

1/4

message 31: by Tahera (new)

Tahera | 97 comments Rachael wrote: "Tahera wrote: "For #8 if the title has the word 'Count' in it will it be accepted?"
Yes, this is ok. As Octothorpe Reader says above, Count/Countess is a title associated with royalty. I would also..."

Thanks!! :D

message 32: by Tahera (new)

Tahera | 97 comments Since I have a busy month ahead put me down for 1 book:

8. There are many different words relating to the theme of royalty (throne, castle, ruler, sovereign, crown etc to name but a few). Read a book that features a royal word in the title: The Count of Monte Cristo

message 34: by Megan BG (new)

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1397 comments First one done.

6. Read a book about someone raising a child: Whisper Me This

message 36: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6669 comments Just completed #8 (regal word in title - Jewel) - Midnight Jewel by Richelle Mead. The author has chosen an interesting way to tell this story. Each book focuses on the same time period, just from each girl's unique perspective. It was a bit boring at the beginning, but it became much more interesting when the tale diverted into something not covered in the first book. Worth reading. 3.5 stars

1/5

message 37: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 401 comments Update to message 21

Finished Purple Daze today for a book with a purple cover.

1/3

message 38: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (nikki_framke) | 276 comments *Update to msg. 14

2/5 complete

message 39: by Mie (new)

Mie | 1944 comments Update msg 20: 2/3
✅ 8. There are many different words relating to the theme of royalty (throne, castle, ruler, sovereign, crown etc to name but a few). Read a book that features a royal word in the title - Red Queen - 3⭐️

message 40: by Octothorpe Reader Leora K (last edited Aug 29, 2018 11:06PM) (new)

Octothorpe Reader Leora K (octothorpereaderleorak) | 276 comments Challenge Completed :D :D

1. Read a book featuring a monarch who had a nickname – The Bear and the Nightingale - ####/5 (Ivan, the Fair)

3. Read a book about the Tudors or a book where someone has remarried – The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo - ####/5

5. Read a book with a purple cover – The Silver Bough #/5 (my book copy has a purple cover)

6. Read a book about someone raising a child – Wuthering Heights #/5 (Nelly, the housekeeper raised both Catherine I and II)

7. Read a book where a character has the same name as one of these monarchs – Crazy Rich Asians - ####/5 (Philip Young)

8. Read a book that features a royal word in the title – Red Queen ###/5

6/6 complete 

message 41: by Laura (new)

Laura Meyer | 23 comments I’m in for at least 3!

First one done—someone raising a child: Big Little Lies

message 42: by Anissa (last edited Aug 12, 2018 05:20PM) (new)

Anissa Michaud | 244 comments I’m in for 2 to start out.

Monthly Challenge (August 2018): Royally Challenged
Duration: 08/01-31/18

Progress:0/2

5. Read a book with a purple cover: Seducing an Angel (Huxtable Quintet, #4) by Mary Balogh (38/515)

6. Read a book that features a royal word in the title: Earls Just Want to Have Fun (Covent Garden Cubs, #1) by Shana Galen

message 43: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6669 comments Just completed #5 (purple cover) - Exit West by Mohsin Hamid. I loved the writing! Excellently done! The characters have a sparseness that serves the plot. The concept was fascinating and carries an idealism of the way humanity could improve. Definitely worth reading! 5 stars

2/5

message 44: by Megan BG (new)

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1397 comments 2/4

8. Read a book that features a royal word in the title: Red Queen

message 45: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments Oh, oh! Me, me!
So I wasn't planning on joining any challenges in August because, well, mom-life. BUT! The main protagonist in the book I'm currently reading just so happens to be named Marguerite which is rare enough in itself. So I'm going for task number 7, for a name equivalent to a that of a current monarch.

message 46: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3071 comments Complete 2/2
I will definitely get another one done, and maybe 2 more but I'm not going to commit to that because I'm going on vacation next week and while I always think I'll have plenty of time to read, I never do.

3. It is well known that Henry VIII, King of England, had 6 wives. Read a book about the Tudors or a book where someone has remarried - Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

8. There are many different words relating to the theme of royalty (throne, castle, ruler, sovereign, crown etc to name but a few). Read a book that features a royal word in the title: - Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow

message 47: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3202 comments SarahKat wrote: "Complete 2/2
I will definitely get another one done, and maybe 2 more but I'm not going to commit to that because I'm going on vacation next week and while I always think I'll have plenty of time t..."

Well done! I've also finished my challenge

message 48: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 401 comments Update to message 21

finished She Wore Red Trainers for #3. It is well known that Henry VIII, King of England, had 6 wives. Read a book about the Tudors or a book where someone has remarried. One of the two main character's mother had been remarried several times and it caused her to have a lot of issues with relationships and the idea of marriage.

message 49: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (nikki_framke) | 276 comments *Update to msg. 14

5/5 CHALLENGE COMPLETE!! :)

message 50: by Megan BG (new)

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1397 comments 3/4

7. Read a book where a character has the same name as one of these monarchs: Greyhound

There's a character named Frank.

« previous 1