Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; I - L > Lyga, Barry-- Game informal buddy read starts August 1, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31134 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Game by Barry Lyga.

Synopsis
Billy grinned. “Oh, New York,” he whispered. “We’re gonna have so much fun.”

I Hunt Killers introduced the world to Jazz, the son of history’s most infamous serial killer, Billy Dent.

In an effort to prove murder didn’t run in the family, Jazz teamed with the police in the small town of Lobo’s Nod to solve a deadly case. And now, when a determined New York City detective comes knocking on Jazz’s door asking for help, he can’t say no. The Hat-Dog Killer has the Big Apple–and its police force–running scared. So Jazz and his girlfriend, Connie, hop on a plane to the big city and get swept up in a killer’s murderous game

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 5252 comments Sure, why not?

Amy the book-bat (batkisses) | 740 comments I'll have to see if I can get this one from the library

message 6: by Teri (new)

Teri | 678 comments looking forward to it

message 7: by Jessi (new)

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1644 comments I'm excited!!

message 8: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee | 523 comments Looking forward to continuing this series

message 9: by Chava (new)

Chava | 1369 comments I'd like to continue the series too. I see that the ratings keep getting higher with the books.

message 10: by Teri (new)

Teri | 678 comments Page 32, finished chapter 5

(view spoiler)

message 11: by Teri (new)

Teri | 678 comments page 100 finished chapter 12
(view spoiler)

message 12: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments I’d like to join! I just borrowed this from my library. I’ll try to start tomorrow!

message 13: by Teri (new)

Teri | 678 comments Geri wrote: "I’d like to join! I just borrowed this from my library. I’ll try to start tomorrow!"

Great!

message 14: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 5252 comments Forgot I signed up for this. I will try to start tomorrow as well.

message 15: by Teri (new)

Teri | 678 comments page 170 finished chapter 20
(view spoiler)

I'm going to try to catch up on a couple other books that I am behind on, but I'll be back!

message 16: by Jessi (new)

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1644 comments Dang Teri! Im in another BR so Im going to read chapters 1-5 then I will be back with my thoughts on those chapters.

message 17: by Jessi (new)

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1644 comments Chapters 1-5

(view spoiler)

message 18: by Teri (new)

Teri | 678 comments Jess wrote: "Chapters 1-5

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Jess wrote: "Chapters 1-5

[spoilers removed]"

I started today. I’m glad I’m reading book 2. I really like some of the characters like Howie. And even though she’s a racist, Grandma makes me laugh too.(view spoiler)

message 20: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 5252 comments Listening to this, so I am not sure about chapters, but...
(view spoiler)

message 21: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Teri wrote: "page 100 finished chapter 12
[spoilers removed]"

Yeah, I really like Howie too! (view spoiler)

message 22: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Teri wrote: "page 170 finished chapter 20
[spoilers removed]

I'm going to try to catch up on a couple other books that I am behind on, but I'll be back!"

I’ll stop here for today too. Things really are getting interesting! (view spoiler)

message 23: by Jessi (new)

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1644 comments Geri wrote: "Jess wrote: "Chapters 1-5

[spoilers removed]"

I started today. I’m glad I’m reading book 2. I really like some of the characters like Howie. And even though she’s a racist, Grandma makes me laugh..."

Glad I'm not the only one with a sense of dark humor!

message 24: by Teri (new)

Teri | 678 comments page 203

(view spoiler)

message 25: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Read through chapter 36 today. So much going on!(view spoiler)

message 26: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Teri wrote: "page 203

[spoilers removed]"

I do wonder about Samantha too!

message 27: by Jessi (new)

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1644 comments Chapters 6-10

(view spoiler)

message 28: by Jessi (new)

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1644 comments Chapters 11-15

(view spoiler)

message 29: by Teri (new)

Teri | 678 comments Jess wrote: "Chapters 11-15

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 30: by Teri (new)

Teri | 678 comments page 346 finished chapter 37
(view spoiler)

message 31: by Teri (new)

Teri | 678 comments Finished!
Wowza
(view spoiler)

message 32: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 5252 comments I was waiting for someone else to finish!

(view spoiler)

Good book.

message 33: by Teri (new)

Teri | 678 comments Yes! Now I gotta order the next one LOL
it was good

message 34: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 5252 comments Haven't you read the third?

message 35: by Teri (new)

Teri | 678 comments Jenny wrote: "Haven't you read the third?"

Yes, but I don't remember what happens!!! Like, at all...:(

message 36: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 5252 comments Really, me either. I'm sure it will come back to us...

message 37: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments UGH! The ending is driving me crazy! It was exciting, but I hate cliffhangers. This was my first time reading the book. My library has the digital book available to borrow now. Thank goodness! LOL

I was surprised (view spoiler)

So now I have to read the next book soon. I am so worried for Connie and Jazz! LOL I was shocked to find out (view spoiler)

message 38: by Teri (new)

Teri | 678 comments Geri wrote: "UGH! The ending is driving me crazy! It was exciting, but I hate cliffhangers. This was my first time reading the book. My library has the digital book available to borrow now. Thank goodness! LOL
..."

Glad you liked it! Yup, heck of a cliffy for sure. I really liked this one, but I was super bothered by Connie in this, I adore her, but her behavior drove me nuts!

message 39: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee | 523 comments Haven't had a chance to jump onto the discussion. My thoughts up to chapter 16....

(view spoiler)

message 40: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee | 523 comments The whole time I'm reading, I thinking about what the section titles mean, and what are the cryptic messages that the caller keeps giving?

(view spoiler)

message 41: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Ashlee wrote: "The whole time I'm reading, I thinking about what the section titles mean, and what are the cryptic messages that the caller keeps giving?

Does Billy continue to get people onto his side. Doing h..."

Don’t want to spoil anything for you. But the reveal about who was killing and how it was determined was really good. I was surprised and it was definitely worth the read.

Connie surprised me too. She did keep runnng off on her own.

message 42: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Teri wrote: "Geri wrote: "UGH! The ending is driving me crazy! It was exciting, but I hate cliffhangers. This was my first time reading the book. My library has the digital book available to borrow now. Thank g..."

Will there be a buddy read for the third book? Not sure I can wait, but I can try! LOL

message 43: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 5252 comments I'd be up for it. I really don't remember what happens in the third book.

message 44: by Teri (new)

Teri | 678 comments Jenny wrote: "I'd be up for it. I really don't remember what happens in the third book."

I'm down for a BR of the third one, when works for y'all?

message 45: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee | 523 comments I'm definitely in for book 3.

message 46: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Teri wrote: "Jenny wrote: "I'd be up for it. I really don't remember what happens in the third book."

I'm down for a BR of the third one, when works for y'all?"

I already have book 3. LOL How does 8-13 work? Not sure I can be trusted to wait longer!

message 47: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 5252 comments I will be playing Quidditch then, but I can join the discussion late.

message 48: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee | 523 comments Geri wrote: "Teri wrote: "Jenny wrote: "I'd be up for it. I really don't remember what happens in the third book."

I'm down for a BR of the third one, when works for y'all?"

I already have book 3. LOL How doe..."

I also already have book 3, so that works for me

message 49: by Teri (new)

Teri | 678 comments Sounds good to me!

message 50: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Ok, great! I’ll request a thread.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Game (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Barry Lyga (other topics)