Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Alice Network
This topic is about The Alice Network
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Quinn, Alice --The Alice Network informal buddy read starts August 4, 2018

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30836 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss The Alice Network by Kate Quinn.

Synopsis
In an enthralling new historical novel from national bestselling author Kate Quinn, two women—a female spy recruited to the real-life Alice Network in France during World War I and an unconventional American socialite searching for her cousin in 1947—are brought together in a mesmerizing story of courage and redemption.
1947. In the chaotic aftermath of World War II, American college girl Charlie St. Clair is pregnant, unmarried, and on the verge of being thrown out of her very proper family. She's also nursing a desperate hope that her beloved cousin Rose, who disappeared in Nazi-occupied France during the war, might still be alive. So when Charlie's parents banish her to Europe to have her "little problem" taken care of, Charlie breaks free and heads to London, determined to find out what happened to the cousin she loves like a sister.

1915. A year into the Great War, Eve Gardiner burns to join the fight against the Germans and unexpectedly gets her chance when she's recruited to work as a spy. Sent into enemy-occupied France, she's trained by the mesmerizing Lili, the "Queen of Spies", who manages a vast network of secret agents right under the enemy's nose.

Thirty years later, haunted by the betrayal that ultimately tore apart the Alice Network, Eve spends her days drunk and secluded in her crumbling London house. Until a young American barges in uttering a name Eve hasn't heard in decades, and launches them both on a mission to find the truth...no matter where it leads

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Teri | 673 comments This looks really interesting-can’t wait!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I’m hoping to join you all for this one! (Team Tonks)

message 6: by JanEyre9 (new) - added it

JanEyre9 Talia, you have the cutest profile picture ever!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

JanEyre9 wrote: "Talia, you have the cutest profile picture ever!"

Thanks! I wish it was my dog but I just found the pic it online. Such a cute puppy!

Teri | 673 comments I am running late on this! Will definitely start tomorrow--so sorry!

message 9: by Sarah (last edited Aug 06, 2018 02:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah (sarahjh26) | 571 comments I just started this one without even knowing there was a buddy Reed! Lucky me :)

Team Hermione!

message 10: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri | 673 comments I finished the first chapter, wow, what a start! It definitely has a different feel than I expected.

Sarah (sarahjh26) | 571 comments While both are good, I'm definitely preferring the Eve chapters over Charlie. I just want to know more about Eve and her past. Oh, and it was easy to guess where Rose's story was going.

message 12: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri | 673 comments Just finished chapter 7, got called into work today and so I didn't get much in. I am liking Finn. I like Eve, too. When Charlie's chapters come, I just feel like they don't move enough, I don't know if that makes sense. The visit with the aunt was super depressing

message 13: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri | 673 comments Page 264 , finished chapter 21

(view spoiler)

message 14: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri | 673 comments Finished
I couldn't put it down today
(view spoiler)

Sharon (sharon_alexandr) | 364 comments I am STILL on the waiting list for this one :( I'll catch up as soon as I can get a copy!

message 16: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri | 673 comments Sharon wrote: "I am STILL on the waiting list for this one :( I'll catch up as soon as I can get a copy!"

ugh, waiting sucks-can't wait to hear your thoughts!

Sarah (sarahjh26) | 571 comments I'm still reading...so don't worry, you won't be alone!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Alice Network (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kate Quinn (other topics)