Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim, #1)
This topic is about Sandman Slim
Previous BRs - Authors; I - L > Kadrey, Richard--Sandman Slim informal buddy read starts August 19, 2018

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30837 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey

Synopsis
Supernatural fantasy has a new antihero in Sandman Slim, star of this gripping, gritty new series by Richard Kadrey.

Life sucks and then you die. Or, if you’re James Stark, you spend eleven years in Hell as a hitman before finally escaping, only to land back in the hell-on-earth that is Los Angeles.

Now Stark’s back, and ready for revenge. And absolution, and maybe even love. But when his first stop saddles him with an abusive talking head, Stark discovers that the road to absolution and revenge is much longer than you’d expect, and both Heaven and Hell have their own ideas for his future.

Resurrection sucks. Saving the world is worse.

Darkly twisted, irreverent, and completely hilarious, Sandman Slim is the breakthrough novel by an acclaimed author.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jul 24, 2018 07:38PM) (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Lexi (last edited Jul 25, 2018 07:59AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lexi | 2613 comments I decided I like BR so I'm still in. (I changed my mind).

Devann (devannm) | 2685 comments i think i'm gonna start this tomorrow if anyone is still in

Deanna | 2731 comments I'm still in. I'm looking forward to having a couple of books to read through at a slower pace. I'll start this afternoon and come back with thoughts.

Lexi | 2613 comments Deanna wrote: "I'm still in. I'm looking forward to having a couple of books to read through at a slower pace. I'll start this afternoon and come back with thoughts."

Sounds like a good plan. I'm in too.

Deanna | 2731 comments Finished 82 pages in my copy which is about 20%.

Stark - (view spoiler)

Vidocq - (view spoiler)

Azazel - (view spoiler)

The world - (view spoiler)

Lexi | 2613 comments I am in about the same place (view spoiler)

Devann (devannm) | 2685 comments i read up to about 32%, i hate that it doesn't have actual chapters lol

@Deanna i agree that there has to be something more going on re: Azazel and Alice and the key and everything, it's just not really adding up currently

@Lexi i had pretty much the exact same thought as soon as the dead girlfriend thing was brought up. i mean it's a decent enough story so far but it's incredibly standard for urban fantasy and the whole 'oh i have so much manpain because of my murdered girlfriend so now i'm gonna go on a grimdark macho killing rampage' thing is just so tired. so far i'm able to kind of look past that and just enjoy it at a superficial level but it's definitely toeing the line.

Devann (devannm) | 2685 comments i read up to about 67% today and i still don't really have much else to say about it. i mean ...it's not awful but it's still not particularly inspired either. it's definitely a 3 star book for me at this point and i'm not sure if i would want to bother with the rest of the series or not.

message 12: by Lexi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lexi | 2613 comments Devann wrote: "i read up to about 67% today and i still don't really have much else to say about it. i mean ...it's not awful but it's still not particularly inspired either. it's definitely a 3 star book for me ..."

You and I seem to be specializing in meh books right now for BRs

Devann (devannm) | 2685 comments haha i knoooow. although honestly this seems waaaaay better than the monstrous gentlewoman one just because it's about half the length ;) [and doesn't have annoying asides]

Deanna | 2731 comments Finished to about 40% now and did a happy dance because I can use this for the exclusive club task. I'll try to double up tomorrow and catch up.

Stark - (view spoiler)

Muninn - (view spoiler)

Allegra - (view spoiler)

Devann (devannm) | 2685 comments oooh good point about the club task, i didn't even think about that

Deanna | 2731 comments At 60% now

Favorite Stark line: "You tell the rest of these animals and any Kissi you run into to stay away from my doughnut place."

Kissi - (view spoiler)

Vidocq and Allegra - (view spoiler)

Devann (devannm) | 2685 comments i think my favorite part was towards the beginning where whoever was like 'i thought it would be more like metaphorical doors' or whatever and he was like 'no it's literally a room full of doors'

Deanna | 2731 comments Finished! I intended to stop around 80%, but the story finally sucked me in.

Stark - (view spoiler)

Mason - (view spoiler)

Lucifer - (view spoiler)

For me it was a 4 star read. It dragged a bit at the beginning, but I thought all the action toward the end more than made up for it.

Devann (devannm) | 2685 comments re: Stark - yeah i was wondering the whole time like ...why is this dude so special??? so i'm glad there was some kind of reason beyond like 'standard male power fantasy' although honestly it was kind of too little too late

i gave it 3 stars which basically for me meant like 'would have been interesting if not so blandly sexist' but i don't think i'll be continuing onto the next one after reading the summary

message 20: by Lexi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lexi | 2613 comments Devann wrote: "re: Stark - yeah i was wondering the whole time like ...why is this dude so special??? so i'm glad there was some kind of reason beyond like 'standard male power fantasy' although honestly it was k..."
I finished it yesterday and came to the same conclusion. It was sexist and I don' think I will continue. The end at least was more interesting.

Devann (devannm) | 2685 comments @Lexi yeah the few chapters after what i would call the 'real' end were probably the most interesting part of the book and i was like why ...did you not write a book about that instead?? it would have been way more interesting probably

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Sandman Slim (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Richard Kadrey (other topics)