What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA Fantasy. Apprentice girl learns to cast magic spells using strands or threads of different colored light in the air around objects - forms cage over enemy. Bog creatures. Walks on planks in trees above bog to get to wizard's home. Read around 1990's.

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terri (last edited Jul 18, 2018 03:48PM) (new)

Terri Spencer (tspencer117) | 8 comments YA / apprentice girl learns to cast spells by using strands or threads of different colored light in the air around objects

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40687 comments Mod
Terri, please read the group pointers/rules at the top of the group homepage - which explain what to put in your header.

We also need to know when you read the book.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36623 comments Mod
I added plot details to the topic header. Feel free to update it using the small "edit" link on the desktop website (not the mobile app).

message 4: by Terri (new)

Terri Spencer (tspencer117) | 8 comments Terri wrote: "YA / apprentice girl learns to cast spells by using strands or threads of different colored light in the air around objects"
I did but it was very confusing on my Ipad.. sorry

message 5: by Terri (new)

Terri Spencer (tspencer117) | 8 comments Kris wrote: "I added plot details to the topic header. Feel free to update it using the small "edit" link on the desktop website (not the mobile app)."

Lobstergirl wrote: "Terri, please read the group pointers/rules at the top of the group homepage - which explain what to put in your header.

We also need to know when you read the book."

Im sorry I tried to do this on my Ipad.. and I could edit when I realized i did it wron

message 6: by Kris (new)

No worries. Around what year did you read this book?

message 7: by Kris (last edited Jul 19, 2018 10:58AM) (new)

Copying comments from another thread (https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

TAB:
"Anything about the cover?
Time period/location story takes place?
Part of a series?
Were there any other fantasy elements like dragons, trolls, castles, etc?"

TERRI:
"The biggest thing was the way she did magic.. and casting a spell by weaving, twisting, or pinching these threads of color together over an enemy to make a cage for lack of a better word. I sorta think she might have been living in a bog/or thick woods with her teacher and companion. if it was a series I didn't read the rest of the books.
I hope I'm not thinking of another book... but I recall a bog creatures or something like that, and they had to walk/run thru the bog on planks in the trees to get to the wizards home (and to stay out of the water)"

message 8: by Terri (last edited Jul 19, 2018 11:05AM) (new)

Terri Spencer (tspencer117) | 8 comments In the middle to late 90's I think I read it!

message 9: by Kaion (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) | 389 comments This sounds really familiar to me!

Could it be something out of Tamora Pierce's books, like perhaps the ?

I also found this thread: https://scifi.stackexchange.com/quest...

message 10: by Terri (new)

Terri Spencer (tspencer117) | 8 comments Nope, I did google that.. thank you so much for trying.. this book is more of a lighter book, not dark magic or sci-fi..

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris | 17 comments Could it have been The Calling of the Three or another book in the Night Threads series?

message 12: by Terri (new)

Terri Spencer (tspencer117) | 8 comments Chris I will look into that and see if it’s them.. I do believe I read that series, thank you....

message 13: by JE (new)

JE | 62 comments The threads sound similar to discovery of witches, but not other plot points

message 14: by Terri (new)

Terri Spencer (tspencer117) | 8 comments I don’t think I’ve read that book.. I may have to look into it.. thank you

message 15: by Christine (new)

Christine | 141 comments These probably are not your books... but author Melanie Rawn has an (older) fantasy series, starting with Dragon Prince, that features characters who can weave light, specifically threads of sunlight, to cast spells. Ther are called Sunrunners. It's a great fantasy series (with a lot of romance, but still). The magic system is interesting. Anyway, thought I'd mention them, since you talked about magic & threads of light.

message 16: by Terri (new)

Terri Spencer (tspencer117) | 8 comments Thank you

message 17: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 214 comments Gender is wrong for both of these, but The Dragon of Trelian or The Wizard Test?

message 18: by Kris (new)

I added some details to the header/topic title. You can update it by clicking the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, click the "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)