The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Important Items > Group Read Winners Chosen - August 2018 Group Read Thread - S Authors

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (last edited Jun 30, 2018 08:49PM) (new)

Bill So it's already almost July 1st. Nancy has already set up the Group Read Threads for the July books. I hope you enjoy the discussions.

It's also time to put your thinking caps on and see what you might like to read in August. The category for the August Group Reads will be authors whose last name starts with S.

As always, please follow the simple rules below when making your nominations.

1. do NOT nominate your own book
2. do NOT have your publicist nominate your book
3. if you nominate the winning book, you are the moderator for the discussion. If you don't want to lead the discussion, don't nominate a book.

One final thing. S seems to have been a popular letter in previous group reads. The books below have already been read in this group in the last 3 or 4 years, so please don't nominate the specific books You can still select a book from the particular author is you wish.

1. Soji Shimada - The Tokyo Zodiac Murders
2. Karin Slaughter - Triptych
- Pretty Girls
- The Good Daughter
3. Martin Cruz Smith - Gorky Park
4. Daniel Silva - The English Spy
5. Tom Rob Smith - Child 44
6. John Sandford - Rules of Prey

For those celebrating, Happy Canada Day, July 1st!!!

message 2: by Bill (last edited Jul 04, 2018 09:43AM) (new)

Bill I'll keep track of the nominations in this thread -
1. Summer of Night by Dan Simmons (nominated by Jamie)
2. The Laughing Policeman by Maj Sjöwall (nominated by Patty)
3. The Hunter by Richard Stark (nominated by Randy)
4. Helsinki Homicide: Darling by Jarkko Sipilä (nominated by Gisela)
5. Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore by Matthew J. Sullivan (nominated by Scott)
6. The Nine Tailors by Dorothy L. Sayers (nominated by Kirsten)
7. Woman Who Married A Bear by John Straley (nominated by Bill)
8. Final Girls by Riley Sager (nominated by Dlyn)

message 3: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria I'm on my phone at the airport so I can't tag but I'd like to nominate Summer of Night by Dan Simmons and Death of a Siren by William S Schaill.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 581 comments I nominate The Hunter (Parker, #1) by Richard Stark The Hunter by Richard Stark (AKA Donald E. Westlake)

Are we allowed to nominate two books? If so I will add a second nomination:

The Kill Artist (Gabriel Allon, #1) by Daniel Silva The Kill Artist by Daniel Silva

message 5: by Bill (new)

Bill Jamie wrote: "I'm on my phone at the airport so I can't tag but I'd like to nominate Summer of Night by Dan Simmons and Death of a Siren by William S Schaill."

You can nominate one, Jamie. Which would you prefer?

message 6: by Bill (last edited Jul 01, 2018 09:51AM) (new)

Bill Randy wrote: "I nominate The Hunter (Parker, #1) by Richard Stark The Hunter by Richard Stark (AKA Donald E. Westlake)

Are we allowed to nominate two books? If so I will add a s..."

No, just one book, Randy. Thanks for asking. I presume it'll be the first selection you made?

message 7: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria Summer of Night by Dan Simmons

It's the summer of 1960 in Elm Haven, Illinois, and five 12-year old boys are forming the bonds that a lifetime of changes will never erase. But then a dark cloud threatens the bright promise of summer vacation: on the last day of school, their classmate Tubby Cooke vanishes. Soon, the group discovers stories of other children who once disappeared from Elm Haven. And there are other strange things happening in town....

message 8: by Patty (new)

Patty | 3077 comments The Laughing Policeman by Maj Sjowall. I'm. It too sure if this counts. Excuse there's a cowriter with the last name of Wahloo. I've read Roseanna, and have wanted to read another.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_L...

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 581 comments Bill wrote: "No, just one book, Randy. Thanks for asking. I presume it'll be the first selection you made?"

Yes, that's fine. thanks!

message 10: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Bill wrote: "So it's already almost July 1st. Nancy has already set up the Group Read Threads for the July books. I hope you enjoy the discussions.

It's also time to put your thinking caps on and see what you ..."

Happy Canada Day!

Wow, there are a lot of great S authors! I'm hoping to be 'unplugged' for a good part of August, otherwise I would nominate Randy's second book. Perhaps someone else will nominate The Kill Artist?

message 11: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 368 comments Patty wrote: "The Laughing Policeman by Maj Sjowall. I'm. It too sure if this counts. Excuse there's a cowriter with the last name of Wahloo. I've read Roseanna, and have wanted to read another.

https://en.m.w..."

I love this series.

message 12: by Gisela (last edited Jul 02, 2018 05:00AM) (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 368 comments How aboutHelsinki Homicide: Darling by Sipilae

message 14: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 91 comments I nominate The Nine Tailors by the great Dorothy L. Sayers

message 15: by Patty (new)

Patty | 3077 comments Ooh...Lord Peter Wimsey.

message 16: by Bill (new)

Bill I had a couple of thoughts about possible nominations and decided to try a new author for me; Woman Who Married A Bear (Alaskan Mystery) by John Straley Woman Who Married A Bear by John Straley, the first Cecil Younger mystery

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Sales (ksales) | 62 comments Bill wrote: "I had a couple of thoughts about possible nominations and decided to try a new author for me; Woman Who Married A Bear (Alaskan Mystery) by John Straley Woman Who Married A Bear by John ..."</i>

I read John Straley's Cold Storage Alaska[book:Cold Storage, Alaska
and enjoyed it.

message 18: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Have you discussed Final Girls by Riley Sager yet? If not, I would like to suggest that! It's been on my TBR for awhile. Plus, the author just came out with a new book that sounds interesting too.

message 19: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Happy Fourth of July!

message 20: by Bill (new)

Bill I'll give it another day and then set the poll up either tomorrow or Monday.. Hope you're all having a great weekend!

message 21: by Bill (new)

Bill The poll is now up. You can go to this page

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

or just check out the poll page. It should be the first one.

Seems like a nice mix of books.

message 22: by Bill (new)

Bill The poll is closed and the top two vote getters are

- Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore by Matthew J. Sullivan (nominated by Scott)

- Final Girls by Riley Sager (nominated by Dlyn)

I just need confirmation by Scott and Dlyn that they will moderate the group read threads. I'll set them up August 1st.