YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Call Me By Your Name (Call Me By Your Name, #1)
This topic is about Call Me By Your Name
BUDDY READ: Contemporary/Romance > Call Me By Your Name (Call Me By Your Name #1) by André Aciman - Restarting July 18th 2020

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments Call Me by Your Name is the story of a sudden and powerful romance that blossoms between an adolescent boy and a summer guest at his parents' cliff-side mansion on the Italian Riviera. Unprepared for the consequences of their attraction, at first each feigns indifference. But during the restless summer weeks that follow, unrelenting buried currents of obsession and fear, fascination and desire, intensify their passion as they test the charged ground between them. What grows from the depths of their spirits is a romance of scarcely six weeks' duration and an experience that marks them for a lifetime. For what the two discover on the Riviera and during a sultry evening in Rome is the one thing both already fear they may never truly find again: total intimacy.

The psychological maneuvers that accompany attraction have seldom been more shrewdly captured than in André Aciman's frank, unsentimental, heartrending elegy to human passion. Call Me by Your Name is clear-eyed, bare-knuckled, and ultimately unforgettable.

message 2: by Himanshu (new)

Himanshu Saliya (him186) | 120 comments ✨Skye✨ wrote: "Call Me by Your Name is the story of a sudden and powerful romance that blossoms between an adolescent boy and a summer guest at his parents' cliff-side mansion on the Italian Riviera. Unprepared f..."

Am really excited for this and have people discussing about books is favourite thing.

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments Part 1 (view spoiler)

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments Part 2 (view spoiler)

ToriReadsAgain (kapitori23) | 6 comments Are we allowed to join the discussion if we already read the book?

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments Tori wrote: "Are we allowed to join the discussion if we already read the book?"

Of course! Would love to hear your thoughts.

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments Part 3 (view spoiler)

ToriReadsAgain (kapitori23) | 6 comments ✨Skye✨ wrote: "Part 2 [spoilers removed]"

I actually loved part 2 and part 3 best because they were so HONEST. Like I learned so much about myself by reading this book. Those are the best books. I think this is like so uncomfortable because it's like RAW human intimacy and we engage in that SO LITTLE.

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments Tori wrote: "✨Skye✨ wrote: "Part 2 [spoilers removed]"

I actually loved part 2 and part 3 best because they were so HONEST. Like I learned so much about myself by reading this book. Those are the best books. I..."

After reading the last part, I definitely appreciated the earlier parts more. Seeing how they remember their time together makes it all the more magical for me :) Intimacy like what they share is so rare today.

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments Part 4 (view spoiler)

ToriReadsAgain (kapitori23) | 6 comments ✨Skye✨ wrote: "Tori wrote: "✨Skye✨ wrote: "Part 2 [spoilers removed]"

I actually loved part 2 and part 3 best because they were so HONEST. Like I learned so much about myself by reading this book. Those are the ..."

Totally agree! That's why I love this book and feel it's so potent and necessary because this is how we used to FEEL. We don't feel anymore. I feel like the only person around me sometimes who let's things affect me unironically. And these characters are so deeply unironic while still protecting themselves the way we all do, which keeps them relatable.

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments Tori wrote: "✨Skye✨ wrote: "Tori wrote: "✨Skye✨ wrote: "Part 2 [spoilers removed]"

I actually loved part 2 and part 3 best because they were so HONEST. Like I learned so much about myself by reading this book...."

That was definitely a huge strength of this book, how it conveys emotion, and not just in the romance, but about everything. The way people feel about friends, and the young girl who's ill, and just about life.

ToriReadsAgain (kapitori23) | 6 comments Tori wrote: "✨Skye✨ wrote: "Tori wrote: "✨Skye✨ wrote: "Part 2 [spoilers removed]"

I actually loved part 2 and part 3 best because they were so HONEST. Like I learned so much about myself by reading this book...."

It's one of my favorite books of all time for that reason.

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 48881 comments Mod
Shae and I are starting today

This narrator seems so old, can't picture a teenager!

8% (view spoiler)

21% (view spoiler)

26% (view spoiler)

55% (view spoiler)

message 19: by Maddie (last edited Jun 29, 2019 06:21PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

60% (view spoiler)

75% (view spoiler)

84% (view spoiler)

message 22: by Maddie (last edited Jun 29, 2019 08:59PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

93% (view spoiler)

Finished. Thank God that's done. I just found this book so annoying, so gross, so frustrating, not me at all.

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8801 comments ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Date changed. Restarting March 8th 2020. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8801 comments First quarter - (view spoiler)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8801 comments Second quarter - (view spoiler)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8801 comments Third - (view spoiler)

guiana! (gvianai) | 311 comments oh! I’m still only a couple of pages in, lagging behind, so please bear with me! ><

message 29: by Dannii (last edited Mar 09, 2020 08:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8801 comments fourth quarter - (view spoiler)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8801 comments Guiana wrote: "oh! I’m still only a couple of pages in, lagging behind, so please bear with me! ><"

No worries :) I have a pretty free day and flying through some shorter reads on my tbr. I can't wait to see your thoughts.

guiana! (gvianai) | 311 comments part 1

Dannii wrote: "First quarter - [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8801 comments Guiana wrote: "part 1

Dannii wrote: "First quarter - [spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

I totally agree with you. I usually bond with this overly flowery writing style so this one is so my sort of thing. It feels jarring to read such a beautiful description of some quite explicit things though, doesn't it!?

guiana! (gvianai) | 311 comments yes! have you maybe seen the film adaptation for this? (view spoiler)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8801 comments Guiana wrote: "yes! have you maybe seen the film adaptation for this? [spoilers removed]"

He definitely feels older than his years! I've not seen the film yet but am planning to. Have you? I just remembered there's a sequel to this book, aswell. I think I'll try and read it next month if you want to BR it?

guiana! (gvianai) | 311 comments have only seen bits of the movie, but I will most definitely get on that as soon as I finish reading the book! and definitely, that would be great! I've heard some passing comments of the sequel, which have left me somewhat befuddled, from a friend who's just read it. totally down for BRing it next month!

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8801 comments Guiana wrote: "have only seen bits of the movie, but I will most definitely get on that as soon as I finish reading the book! and definitely, that would be great! I've heard some passing comments of the sequel, w..."

Oh yay, that's awesome. I can do any date after the 5th so let me know whenever is best for you :) I'm on hols until the weekend but can request the thread when I'm home

guiana! (gvianai) | 311 comments April is actually wide open for me so anytime is perfect. :D I can request it for the 8th here since I'm going to be on PC for a good bit, unless there's a more ideal date for you?

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8801 comments Guiana wrote: "April is actually wide open for me so anytime is perfect. :D I can request it for the 8th here since I'm going to be on PC for a good bit, unless there's a more ideal date for you?"

8th is perfect :)

guiana! (gvianai) | 311 comments great! here's the thread - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/.... nearing part 2's end soon. :)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8801 comments Thank you so much :)

guiana! (gvianai) | 311 comments part 2

Dannii wrote: "Second quarter - [spoilers removed]"

I'm with you on that here. (view spoiler)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8801 comments Guiana wrote: "part 2

I'm with you on that here. [spoilers removed]"

I think I (view spoiler)

guiana! (gvianai) | 311 comments Dannii wrote: "Guiana wrote: "part 2

I'm with you on that here. [spoilers removed]"

I think I [spoilers removed]"

that's so true! (view spoiler)

guiana! (gvianai) | 311 comments part 3

(view spoiler)

guiana! (gvianai) | 311 comments part 4! finished!

I couldn't agree with you more on that! (view spoiler)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8801 comments Guiana wrote: "part 4! finished!

I couldn't agree with you more on that! backtracking to what you said before, the story seems more coming-of-age than it is romance, and I'm not fairly fond of time jumps either,..."

I agree with everything you said there (view spoiler)

guiana! (gvianai) | 311 comments (view spoiler)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8801 comments (view spoiler)

guiana! (gvianai) | 311 comments (view spoiler)

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 85691 comments Mod

« previous 1