Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > Top Three Reads in June 2018

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4608 comments Mod
It's the end of the month! Share your top 3 reads for June here.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments This month was pretty good for my reads. 5 5 star books for me. I went back to my pnr roots a bit more this month.

The best of the month:
Kushiel's Mercy
Fool's Errand

honorable mention to
Born a Crime
Wildfire
Succubus Dreams

message 6: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I finished The Fox in June, so I want to mention it here, especially that the majority of contemporary YA fantasy look like ugly ducklings. If you have not tried the series, I'd encourage to give it a go.

My best read this month was Twelve Kings in Sharakhai. It felt like this book was written for me. I simply could not put it down.

Wildfire is a honourable mention; the whole series is just so good!

message 7: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments 1. Memories of Ice - the best of Malazan BOTF so far
2. Perdido Street Station - excellent example of new weird fiction by Mieville
3. Carnival Nine - this is actually a short story, but it's beautifully written.

message 8: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2150 comments 1. Kushiel's Mercy by Jacqueline Carey - love these books. This was my only 5 star of the month out of 21 books.
2. Magic Rises by Ilona Andrews - ton of action thought the sex scenes are a little to descriptive for my tastes.
3. Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett - my favorite out of the 10 Discworld books I read this month.

message 9: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
This has by far been my best month of titles have 3 different 5* titles none of which were re-reads. I've had several months with zero 5*'s in them this year.

1. A Man of Shadows - Terrific noir fiction set in the 1950's with a sci-fi and psychedelic influence.

2. The Poppy War - Historical Fiction and Fantasy blended into a Grimdark tale. Don't let the young main characters deceive you into thinking this is YA.

3. A Reaper at the Gates - Book 3 in the Ember in the Ashes series. I liked this more than anybody else in the buddy read. Again young characters but a dark setting and action.

message 10: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments I didn't get a lot of reading done in June due to vacation week #1 but I did read and love Kushiel's Mercy. It was my only five star read for the month.

message 11: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments Mayim wrote: "I finished The Fox in June, so I want to mention it here, especially that the majority of contemporary YA fantasy look like ugly ducklings. If you have not tried the series, I'd encourage to give i..."

I've added 12 Kings to my list. I really want to know what a Blade Maiden is. :-)

message 12: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4379 comments 1. Song of the Beast What a pleasant surprise! I wasn't expecting to love this as much as I did. I need to read more Carol Berg.

2. A Reaper at the Gates Still one of my favorite YA series.

3. Steam and Glass The last book in a self published YA series. Nothing spectacular, but I really enjoyed the characters.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I love how much love Kushiel's Mercy is getting :-)

message 14: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I love how much love Kushiel's Mercy is getting :-)"

Imriel deserves the love.

message 15: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2150 comments The Carey books have been the biggest surprise for me this year. I held off for years because of the whole erotica tag but this is really a top tier fantasy series.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Veronica wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I love how much love Kushiel's Mercy is getting :-)"

Imriel deserves the love."

He's got all of mine. <3 <3 <3

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Bill wrote: "The Carey books have been the biggest surprise for me this year. I held off for years because of the whole erotica tag but this is really a top tier fantasy series."

I can't like this comment enough.

message 18: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments Bill wrote: "The Carey books have been the biggest surprise for me this year. I held off for years because of the whole erotica tag but this is really a top tier fantasy series."

Same here. Kushiel's Dart came up as a BoTM selection in another group a few years ago and I almost skipped it. I didn't want to read it...can't even remember why I finally decided to go ahead and do it but I went in primed to dislike it. I ended up loving it and the five books following it.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Veronica wrote: "Bill wrote: "The Carey books have been the biggest surprise for me this year. I held off for years because of the whole erotica tag but this is really a top tier fantasy series."

Same here. [book:..."

Ditto! I had it on my tbr for like 10 years. And I kept putting it off because I was so set to dislike it. But I ran out of things to read and it was available at the library so I figured why not. And I loved it so much.

message 20: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I had mostly threads or books that were just ok this month. But I do have a couple non rereads that I enjoyed.

1. Age of War by Michael J Sullivan - Sarah and I decided to buddy read this one early and now I'm desperate for the rest of the series.

2. Sins of Empire by Brian McClellan - I loved this! Can't wait to read the second one.

3. Rip Tide by Kat Falls - I have a lot of fun with these and think they are very well done.

message 21: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Ditto! I had it on my tbr for like 10 years. And I kept putting it off because I was so set to dislike it. But I ran out of things to read and it was available at the library so I figured why not. And I loved it so much. "

So funny that at least three of us went into it fully expecting to dislike it and instead having our opinions completely turned around. That's some awesome writing!

message 22: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2150 comments I think it’s the way the book was marketed. It made it seem like the whole book was constant sex.

I have to thank Laura for getting me to read it. It worked for a challenge for another group but once I saw how many points Laura was getting for it with the team competition I knew I had to read it.

message 23: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff The Firm
Carousel Beach
Twilight

message 24: by Yanique, Thread Master (new)

Yanique Gillana | 1016 comments Mod
Bill wrote: "I think it’s the way the book was marketed. It made it seem like the whole book was constant sex.

I have to thank Laura for getting me to read it. It worked for a challenge for another group but ..."

I actually saw them on sale at Bookoutlet and snatched them up after I saw how everyone was loving them too!

message 25: by Yanique, Thread Master (new)

Yanique Gillana | 1016 comments Mod
There's still time in the month. But so far:

1. 11/22/63
2. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
3. The Buddha in the Attic

message 26: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I'm wanting to try 11/22/63 at some point. I read 90 pages a few years ago and then set it aside for no reason. So I want to give it a real try this time. Glad to know you liked it!

message 27: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Bill wrote: "I think it’s the way the book was marketed. It made it seem like the whole book was constant sex.

I have to thank Laura for getting me to read it. It worked for a challenge for another group but ..."

I was the same. And I was also very glad that I read in in spite of my reservations. It remains one of my favourites.

message 28: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Since it is now 30 June I can finally post my top three:

1. The Moon and the Other - anarchism and gender politics at its best
2. Autonomous - evil patent-controlling corporate and human/bot autonomy
3. A Series of Steaks - funny take on fake meat from 3D printers.
Since all are SF, I guess my fantasy read are not as good this month.

Special mention: Revenant Gun. Wonderful wrap up to an amazing trilogy.

message 29: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Your number one looks very promising Silvana. I added it to my list.

message 30: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Mayim wrote: "Your number one looks very promising Silvana. I added it to my list."

It is one of the most underrated books in this award season.

message 31: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Good to know, I love those!

message 33: by Bea (last edited Jun 30, 2018 07:00AM) (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Bea wrote: " The last Wish
Perdido Street Station
The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle"

I would probably exchange one of these three against Traitor's Moon by Lynn Flewelling.
I just finished it and I'm pretty sure it is my favorite book of this month!

Narilka, I loved Murder on the Orient Express, too!

message 34: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Yanique wrote: "11/22/63
"

Such a great book. King is so hit or miss.