Start by marking “The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle” as Want to Read:
The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle

The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  14,714 ratings  ·  3,791 reviews
How do you stop a murder that’s already happened?

At a gala party thrown by her parents, Evelyn Hardcastle will be killed--again. She's been murdered hundreds of times, and each day, Aiden Bishop is too late to save her. Doomed to repeat the same day over and over, Aiden's only escape is to solve Evelyn Hardcastle's murder and conquer the shadows of an enemy he struggles to
Published February 8th 2018 by Raven Books

To ask other readers questions about The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, please sign up.
Stuart Turton Hi there, sorry - I didn't realise this page existed! Yes, 'Seven Deaths' and '7 1/2 Deaths' are exactly the same. We had a clash in the US and had to…moreHi there, sorry - I didn't realise this page existed! Yes, 'Seven Deaths' and '7 1/2 Deaths' are exactly the same. We had a clash in the US and had to change the title there, hence 7 1/2. Don't worry, you're getting exactly the same amount of murder for your money, though. (less)

Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
(4.5) If you’re looking for a book to keep you awake at night because you NEED to finish it then this is it!

Somebody’s going to be murdered at the ball tonight. It won’t appear to be a murder so the murderer won’t be caught. Rectify that injustice and I’ll show you the way out.

I loved how unique the premise was, a murder-mystery where the main character gets to relive the same day 8 times to try and solve it but every day he's in a different body.
It was also interesting to see how the different
شيماء ✨
Has anyone ever finished a book and was tempted to pull a Luke Skywalker and just disappear to an island in the middle of nowhere and dramatically stare at the ocean for an unascertained amount of time? Because I felt that.

I didn't expect to tear into this book, but I did—there was just so much restlessness in my reading, an urgency to reach the ending. It’s been days and I am still so keenly, strangely, extensively aware of explosions still taking place inside my head. Honestly? If Hollywood do
(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
Reading The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle = MIND BLOWN! What an intricately layered, amazing plot. You absolutely need to jump into this book blindly and savor every moment. At times you will feel like you are flailing in the water, drowning in confusion. Just keep reading, treading through the chapters as you go. Grab hold of the bits that are sent your way and store them. It will all make sense in the end!

I thought I was prepared for Turton. I read carefully, giving the book my full attent
❄️Nani❄️
4.5⭐

Do you know how many books it’d taken me to finally use the word, unputdownable? I think I'm more thrilled to have finally said it than actually reading this book. What can I say, I'm a simple girl. The simple pleasures bring me the most joy.
But back to the task at hand because friends, let me tell you, this. Was. Unputdownable!

Hold on, let me gather my wits first, this book was very taxing on my brain.

So, you’re thinking ‘a high-concept crime fiction, how derivative,’ right? Well, you hav
Paromjit
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stuart Turton has written an extraordinarily original, atmospheric, intelligent and fiendishly complex novel that I really loved! At one level it masquerades as an Agatha Christie style golden age classic crime, and indeed many of the tropes present in that genre are here such as the diverse range of characters at a country house party. It is no exaggeration to say it is so much more, including the presence of time leaps, and absolutely nothing is as it seems. Prior to the murder of Evelyn Hardc ...more
Berit☀️✨

3.5 maybe it is just me? But never the less confusing stars🌟🌟🌟

The concept of this book was really quite brilliant... A little reminiscent of both Life After Life and Ground Hog Day.... with the added little twist of the body swapping....

Admittedly it is holiday time and I was not as focused on this book as I needed to be.... so as far as me being confused throughout the majority of this book, it could very likely just be a me problem.... I kept needing to go back and reread parts because I reall
Navidad Thelamour
4.5 stars!

Whew, what a ride! Stuart Turton’s debut novel is the kind of debut we all yearn for: explosive, energetic, engaging and truly something fresh and new on the scene. The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle is a brilliant, high-concept murder mystery that had the cogs in my mind turning from the very start (imagine waking up in the forest with no memory of who you are and immediately seeing a young woman murdered!). This, in fact, was the first mystery narrative in a very long time that ha
Amalia Gavea
‘’I’m a man in Purgatory, blind to the sins that chased me here.’’

What would it be like if one day we found ourselves in an another body? What if this happened on a daily basis? Us changing the vessel but retaining most of the traits that make us who we are? What if by changing identities we could turn back the time and prevent an injustice, a horrible crime? This is the wonderful premise of this exquisite novel by Stuart Turton, one of the most unique books of the year.

A man has the opportunit
Elise (TheBookishActress)
The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle is a thriller following an investigation into the murder of a girl who is murdered every singe night. The main character switches bodies every day in an attempt to get different points of view.

So the thing I’ve seen praised about this book is that the plot is ridiculously complex, and it very much is. I am in awe over the tight plotting used in this book. This must have taken a very long outline and the complexity certainly makes this stand out. I think, ho
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
All the stars! Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Debut author Stuart Turton’s The 7 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, originally published earlier this year in Great Britain as The 7 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, is an intricately plotted murder mystery, set in an isolated early 20th century English mansion, with a highly imaginative speculative element that is only gradually revealed, as our main character tries to figure out who he really is, and how to solve the mystery of Evelyn Hardcastle
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader

The early reviews I read of this book were mixed, but the last two months, I’ve watched so many high ratings come in, I succumbed to temptation and requested. This was one of the most challenging reviews I’ve had to write to ensure I didn’t give a speck of the fun away.

This book. Wow. The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle is a book you have to give a chance, and if you do, the pay-off is immense if mysteries are your cuppa.

I’m offering a basic synopsis because it is best to go into th
Norma * Traveling Sister
3.5 stars 🌟

I have no idea how I actually feel about this one!

This was probably one of the most confusing and complex novels that I have ever read. I actually quite enjoyed the premise of this story as it definitely was quite clever and really made me think but in the end I was a little disappointed with the “what just happened?” ending which left me feeling a little unsatisfied. I felt a little bit cheated as I was so hoping the ending would have been just as complex and clever as the rest of t
Petrik
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery/thriller fans
Shelves: owned-ebooks
3.5/5 stars

The less you know about this mystery thriller book, the better your experience will be.

First of all, take that rating rounding up or down with a grain of salt, this is a 3.5 stars book for me. As for the review, I honestly have no idea how to review this book, not only mystery/thriller is not my usual read or books that I review, I genuinely think that anything I say can be considered a spoiler for a book like this. I’ll keep this review brief, try to go into this one as blind as poss
Jenny
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m at a loss for words as where to begin with my review. I don’t know that I will be able to convey into words my love of Stuart Turton’s book, “The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle.” A work of genius and for anyone who loves mysteries or the true old-fashioned “who dunnit”, this is your book. This is not a modern day mystery/thriller but an honest to goodness murder mystery with a multilayered plot.
This work of art requires your complete focus and attention otherwise you might miss one of th
Holly  B
Get ready for the most unusual, overwhelmingly impressive journey through this puzzle land of  "Murder at the Masquerade Ball".

You won't need a ticket to get in, just get a copy of the book (the hard copy so you can enjoy the map of Blackheath, a cozy and quiet place to read (you won't want any distractions), time to ponder all the twists that are going to keep your brain busy!!

I loved it, but needed to pace myself and take my time to enjoy all the twisty turns that the narrator, Aiden Bishop
Kylie D
I really don't know how to write a review for this book. Not because I didn't like it, it was fantastic, but because the plot is so intricate and woven I don't want to give anything away. So let's just say it's the story of Aiden, who wakes with no memory at all, just the word 'Anna' on his lips. He finds he's in the middle of a forest, and then manages to stumble across a murder taking place. Aiden is then destined to relive the same day over and over again, until he can solve the murder of Eve ...more
megs_bookrack
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
Too little information and you're blind, too much and you're blinded.

The above line perfectly captures the spirit of the literary puzzle (aka. MIND F**K) that is The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. This book is bloody FANTASTIC!

Never have I been so excited about being so confused whilst reading a book!

Turton is a Master. This was completely original and completely out there and completely compelling. I was so absorbed in every moment and....well, CONFUSED.

There is really not much I can say ab
🦊 Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk

“Now do you see?
Escape isn’t to be found at the end of this dirt road; it’s through me.
So run if you must.
Run until you can’t stand, and when you wake up in Blackheath again and again, do so in the knowledge that nothing here is arbitrary, nothing overlooked, You’ll stay here until I decide otherwise.”

Story ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Imagine you’re in a body you don’t know.
You don’t remember your name, your age, nothing.
You have an empty memory.
You only remember one name - Anna and that you’ve seen a murder a
*TUDOR^QUEEN*
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to the publisher SOURCEBOOKS Landmark who provided an advance reader copy via NetGalley.

This is a very unique book, unlike any I've read. I nearly gave up on reading this at 50% because the nature of the story overwhelmed me in its complexity. This is a story of a gentleman named Aiden Bishop who finds himself caught in a nightmare loop of sorts where he has to solve a murder in order to get out. It takes place in an English country manor named Blackheath tucked away in a forest, its f
Ginger
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, gcac_2019
Full review up!!
5 STARS! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

This is going to be a tough review to write. Not because I didn't love it, but what to say so that I don’t give anything away.
This review is going to be short and to the point. The less you know about this book, the more you will enjoy it!

The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle was a mixture of a Agatha Christie novel and the sci-fi television series, Quantum Leap.

So, if you’ve never heard of Quantum Leap, the premise of the television series is the main character Dr.
Mikayla (MikaylaReading)
Oct 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF at 20%. E-arc provides by netgalley. (Thank god I didn’t spend money on this sh-t)

Let me count the ways this is a sad, fatphobic excuse for a book.
1. “I awake wheezing, crushed beneath the tremendous monument of my new host’s stomach.”
2. “No doubt sensing my indecision, he abandons his vigil, slipping his hands under my armpits and tugging me into a sitting position. I pay for his assistance in shame.”
3. “The platter beneath is piled high with eggs and bacon, a side helping of pork chops,
Andrew Smith
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I’ll start by saying that this is unlike any other book I’ve read. I’m not even sure I can categorise it, as the normal genres just won’t do it justice. If I said crime fiction then it would really only touch the surface. There’s certainly a strong element of whodunnit about this novel, but it’s delivered with a very large helping of something else – something I’m not willing to delve into here for fear of ruining the experience for future readers.

The crime fiction element is broken down and the
Ova - Excuse My Reading
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
See Full review on my blog

Obviously, I am like the other reviewers:

This book is amazing. The plot is so complicated and full of action, you literally could not stop reading until you learn WHAT THE HELL IS ACTUALLY GOING ON!

If I didn't have that unforgettably pleasant night, I'd go with 3 stars,
If the end didn't disappoint me I'd go with 5 stars,
So I settled at 4.

I so liked this book but I wish the ending, was a bit different.

This is me on page 501...
I felt like lots of things left unanswered
PattyMacDotComma
“The hunt begins in half an hour and I can’t miss it. I have too many questions and most of the answers will be carrying shotguns.”

Who is this “I” with the questions? My dad told me he’d read about a man whose dementia got so bad that he got up one morning, looked in the bathroom mirror, and said “Who the hell are YOU?” The reason he told me was that he had dementia, but he was a long way from that point.

Our narrator is having trouble recognising himself. At one point he thinks:

“. . . this bla
Erin
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
4 .5 brilliantly messed up stars

Hands down, this book made me its puppet and consumed all my thoughts throughout the day. Stuart Turton really knew how to mess with his reader's minds and I feel a bit like I am in the middle of a labyrinth trying to figure how I got to the end. One little critique is that I felt it had a tendency to be a little slow around the middle, but definitely this book earns a place on my favorites of 2018.
Jenny
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ah, thank goodness for this book.

I really loved everything about how the story was told. It was like a movie playing inside my head.

I thought the book was going to be somehow confusing but no, it was a fun and intriguing ride. All the characters made a strong impression and the riddles each of them carried!

I read this book expecting a lot of things, the hype has been beyond measure, and it really met those expectations! It was rich, clever and beautifully built.

Aiden was such a great charact
Ivana - Diary of Difference

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

Mind blowing and unputdownable, this is one of those mystery thrillers that will keep you up at night until you see how it ends.

How do you stop a murder that’s already happened?

The Hardcastle family is hosting a masquerade at their home, and their daughter Evelyn Hardcastle will die. She will die every day until Aiden Bishop is able identify her killer and break the cycle.
But every time the day begins again, Aiden wakes up each day in a differe
Hamad
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

Actual Rating: 3.75 stars

A BR with Sylvie and Jill

“How lost do you have to be to let the devil lead you home?”

🌟 This is one of the times that I read the books based on the synopsis only and the cover was not appealing to let me read the book. This mixes two of my favorite Genres: Fantasy and Mystery/ Thriller so I knew I had to read it.

🌟 You are thrown into the book and you’re suddenly confused as the main character is
Bound Together: ~~ Member's Choice ~~ The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle 19 68 10 hours, 12 min ago
Pleasant Valley L...: December Book - The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle 1 9 Dec 02, 2018 05:37PM
Have you read? 7 33 Dec 01, 2018 10:50AM
Read Your Face Of...: Chapters 8-15 2 13 Nov 30, 2018 04:02PM
Spoiler - questions about the end.... 1 23 Nov 29, 2018 09:23AM
Stuart lives in London with his amazing wife and daughter. He drinks lots of tea.

What else?

When he left university he went travelling for three months and stayed away for five years. Every time his parents asked when he’d be back he told them next week, and meant it.

Stuart is not to be trusted. In the nicest possible way.

He’s got a degree in English and Philosophy, which makes him excellent at ar
“How lost do you have to be to let the devil lead you home?” 59 likes