Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Tombs of Atuan (Earthsea Cycle, #2)
This topic is about The Tombs of Atuan
Previous BRs - Authors; I - L > Le Guin, K Ursula--The Tombs of Atuan informal buddy reads starts July 12, 2018

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31634 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss The Tombs of Atuan by Ursula K. Le Guin.

Synopsis
Librarian's Note: For an alternate cover edition of the same ISBN, click here.

When young Tenar is chosen as high priestess to the ancient and nameless Powers of the Earth, everything is taken away - home, family, possessions, even her name. For she is now Arha, the Eaten One, guardian of the ominous Tombs of Atuan.

While she is learning her way through the dark labyrinth, a young wizard, Ged, comes to steal the Tombs' greatest hidden treasure, the Ring of Erreth-Akbe. But Ged also brings with him the light of magic, and together, he and Tenar escape from the darkness that has become her domain.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Elen | 1114 comments I am ready to dive in into this world again.

Team Hermione Granger.

message 5: by Alanna (new) - added it

Alanna | 7 comments It's short and it's been a year since I last re-read it, so I think I'm in too.

Team Luna.

Jenny | 5897 comments I'm in. Team Remus Lupin.

Jenny | 5897 comments Anyone start yet? I am doing the BR for "I Hunt Killers" as well, so I am going back and forth between them Talk about Cognitive Dissonance!

I will get into first impressions soon.

Elen | 1114 comments Jenny wrote: "Anyone start yet?"

I will get my copy of the book tomorrow (or today as it's midnight here) :D

message 9: by Alanna (new) - added it

Alanna | 7 comments I thought my library had an ebook version. It does not.

Deanna | 2966 comments Team Flitwick here. I started today and read through chapter 4.

Tenar - (view spoiler)

The Tombs - (view spoiler)

The prisoners - (view spoiler)

Jenny | 5897 comments I have been listening to this one, so I don't know how far I am, but Tenar just went down into the Labyrinth, and met (you know who).

I cannot fathom living the kind of life she leads. I like the fact that she is questioning things.

Deanna | 2966 comments Chapters 5 - 8

Sparrowhawk - (view spoiler)

Arha - (view spoiler)

message 13: by Elen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elen | 1114 comments Chapter 1 - 6

The beginning was pretty slow as in the first book, but when Sparrowhawk appeared in the book it's getting somewhere.

Tenar/Arha - I agree with Deanna about (view spoiler)
The tombs - (view spoiler)

message 14: by Elen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elen | 1114 comments Jenny wrote: "Tenar just went down into the Labyrinth, and met (you know who). "

Hihihih, Lord Voldemort is back [And not in his own book] :P

Jenny | 5897 comments Just finished. Wow, short book, but pretty powerful.

(view spoiler)

Jenny | 5897 comments Elen wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Tenar just went down into the Labyrinth, and met (you know who). "

Hihihih, Lord Voldemort is back [And not in his own book] :P"

Wouldn't that be funny if the copy of Tombs you were reading had been a bit cut and pasted by a Potter fan with an evil sense of humor?

I had thoughts along those lines years ago when I worked in a bookstore, but it was too much trouble. I already had to page through random books to find and remove the religious tracts that people would put between pages of books they didn't like.

message 17: by Elen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elen | 1114 comments Jenny wrote: "Wouldn't that be funny if the copy of Tombs you were reading had been a bit cut and pasted by a Potter fan with an evil sense of humor?
"

That would be really funny and so mean. But too much trouble doing it and poor book - it does not deserve it :D

message 18: by Elen (last edited Jul 14, 2018 02:57AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elen | 1114 comments Finished.
I liked the book, and that the MC was a girl. Her life and struggles, also Ged was wiser and not so childish as in the last book.

(view spoiler)

Jenny | 5897 comments Elen wrote: "Finished.
I liked the book, and that the MC was a girl. Her life and struggles, also Ged was wiser and not so childish as in the last book.

[spoilers removed]"

The fact that this book was pretty revolutionary when it came out is kind of funny. Written by a woman, protagonist is a woman, dealt with religious themes, men are secondary characters, etc. We encounter things like this all the time now, thank goodness, from authors of any sex. What's the quote? The arc of the universe is slow, but it bends toward morality? If only we could get there more quickly. I grew up watching Star Trek reruns, and the world it portrayed was one where the Earth was united, and petty differences of race or gender didn't matter, and I thought that humans would achieve that by the time I grew up. Damn. Stupid humans.

Sorry about the tangent, this book, coupled with reading the newspaper this morning sent me off in a weird direction.

Deanna | 2966 comments Finished as well!

Ged - (view spoiler)

Tenar - (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2966 comments Jenny wrote: "Just finished. Wow, short book, but pretty powerful...."

I wonder (view spoiler)

Jenny | 5897 comments There is another book about Tenar apparently. I wonder if it tells about her time with Ogion? He is my favorite character from the first book, so that would be cool.

Deanna | 2966 comments Elen wrote: "Finished.

[spoilers removed]"

I agree. I'm also curious what will happen next.

Does anyone want to buddy read the last book The Farthest Shore together? I have company coming in a couple of days, but anytime after the 20th would work for me.

Jenny | 5897 comments Sure. I have that book too, and I have had it for years. Time to read it. After the 20th sounds good.

message 25: by Elen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elen | 1114 comments How about after 25th to read book #3?
I would not have time before that and no possibility to get the book from the library :)

[TT is going to be longer, so we have time]

Deanna | 2966 comments Elen wrote: "How about after 25th to read book #3?
I would not have time before that and no possibility to get the book from the library :)

[TT is going to be longer, so we have time]"

That works. I'll go make the request for a thread.