Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Ten Thousand Skies Above You (Firebird, #2)
This topic is about Ten Thousand Skies Above You
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Gray, Claudia--Ten Thousand Skies Above You informal buddy reads starts July 16, 2018

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31642 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Ten Thousand Skies Above You by Claudia Gray.

Synopsis
Ever since she used the Firebird, her parents' invention, to cross into alternate dimensions, Marguerite has caught the attention of enemies who will do anything to force her into helping them dominate the multiverse—even hurting the people she loves. She resists until her boyfriend, Paul, is attacked and his consciousness scattered across multiple dimensions.

Marguerite has no choice but to search for each splinter of Paul’s soul. The hunt sends her racing through a war-torn San Francisco, the criminal underworld of New York City, and a glittering Paris where another Marguerite hides a shocking secret. Each world brings Marguerite one step closer to rescuing Paul. But with each trial she faces, she begins to question the destiny she thought they shared.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 24, 2018 04:33PM) (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

megan | 1396 comments I'm in on this one. May be starting a bit late, but excited.

Suzanne | 4268 comments I started this and got about 1/4 through and then my phone broke. I'll see if I can find another way to continue since I won't get a new phone til Wednesday - twitch :)

I like it so far!

First part (view spoiler)

I'm not sure if all plot parts make sense - I'll have to think about that. But it is a fun ride so far.

Kristel | 287 comments Suzanne wrote: "I started this and got about 1/4 through and then my phone broke. I'll see if I can find another way to continue since I won't get a new phone til Wednesday - twitch :)

I like it so far!

First p..."

I'm also not super far in but I do love seeing other worlds. Honestly, I'm sometimes more intrigued about the rules and history of the parallel worlds than the actual plot.(view spoiler)

Also, I still don't fully get why Marguerite was made the perfect traveler. It doesn't make any sense! Why would Conley ever think that she would join him? He is her enemy! Also, she has no science background and doesn't know much about the technology behind Firebird which, in my opinion, makes her a horrible traveler.
Just saying if it was my Super Evil Plan To Take Over The Universe she wouldn't be my first choice.

Suzanne | 4268 comments Haha wow that is really a good point. Why not pick someone he controls even, or who agrees with his objectives. Oh well :)

megan | 1396 comments I think she was made the perfect traveler on accident. Something about a box exploding with light while she was around??

Suzanne | 4268 comments Oh yeah could be! That would make more sense.

Kristel | 287 comments That does make more sense:)

Suzanne | 4268 comments I finished it. I did enjoy it - I really like the premise of the multi-verses.

(view spoiler)

Kristel | 287 comments I have finally finished the book!
For starters, reading the second book my expectations were way more accurate and because of that, I enjoyed this way more than the first one(when starting the series I expected it to be more science-heavy).
(view spoiler)

Suzanne | 4268 comments Kristel wrote: "I have finally finished the book!
For starters, reading the second book my expectations were way more accurate and because of that, I enjoyed this way more than the first one(when starting the ser..."

Oooh (view spoiler)

megan | 1396 comments Suzanne wrote: "Kristel wrote: "I have finally finished the book!
For starters, reading the second book my expectations were way more accurate and because of that, I enjoyed this way more than the first one(when ..."

Was really hoping for (view spoiler)

Kristel | 287 comments megan wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "Kristel wrote: "I have finally finished the book!
For starters, reading the second book my expectations were way more accurate and because of that, I enjoyed this way more than the..."

I was thinking the same thing!! (view spoiler)

megan | 1396 comments Even though this was a reread for me, I didn't remember it nearly as much as I remembered the first book. (Except all of the Russianverse stuff because it's my favorite!) I know I remember even less of the third book, so I'll have to reread that one too. Still wish there was more science explanations.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ten Thousand Skies Above You (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Claudia Gray (other topics)