What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Sword Bearer (Archives of Anthropos, #1)
This topic is about The Sword Bearer
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Lonely, sad orphan with a magic sword and donkey named Folly. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Seamons | 9 comments I read this years ago, must have been 10-12 years ago, and it was a very old book already. I believe it was a book my mom read as a child or young adult and she gave it to me. But it got lost in a move and it was so long ago I can't remember what it was called.

I don't remember much and I'm not even sure if all of this is accurate, but that there was a boy, I believe he was an orphan, and he was lonely and sad. I don't remember what happened but he ended up with a magic sword and was in danger so he was moved far away to be protected.

That's all pretty vague but the only real details I can remember is that he could talk to this donkey called Folly. Folly was very kind but a bit clumsy I think, and he and the boy became friends. The only real scene I can remember is that the boy and Folly were sitting under a tree talking, and the boy had a locket with his parents picture in it and Folly thought his parents were trapped in the locket. Folly was funny and sweet but the scene had a sad tone to it.

I very much appreciate any and all help! Thank you!

message 2: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4326 comments The Sword Bearer probably?

message 3: by Annamariah (new)

Annamariah | 283 comments I googled "Folly the donkey" and found The Sword Bearer by John White. It is from 1980, and the blurb mentions a locket, so I think it might very well be the book you are looking for.

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Seamons | 9 comments Yes, that's it!! Thank you so much! I googled "A Donkey named Folly" and got all sorts of results but none were the right one. I should have tried different wordings. You guys are amazing, thank you!

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40627 comments Mod
Plot details put in header - please don't change your header to the name of the book.