Start by marking “The Sword Bearer (Archives of Anthropos, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sword Bearer (Archives of Anthropos, #1)

The Sword Bearer (Archives of Anthropos #1)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  710 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
It was John's birthday. He would be thirteen. And what's more, it was on this day that his grandmother would tell him the mystery of his locket . . . And of his parents.

But it was not to be. Before he could find out, he was magically transported to the land of Anthropos where he was startled to be hailed as the Sword Bearer, the slayer of the Goblin Prince.

Here, in the ima
Published May 19th 1986 by InterVarsity Press (first published June 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Sword Bearer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sword Bearer

Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Looking back, I know this series wasn't very good. In fact, it was probably awful. But as a kid, I couldn't tell - or didn't care - that it was a poor Lewis/Tolkien/everyone else hack. I LOVED this series.
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
John Wilson was happy on his way home from school on the day of his 13th birthday, the day his grandmother has promised to tell him about his parents. But his wonderful day collapses when he trips over the body of his grandmother as he enters their house. She's dead, and now he'll never know. He's too much in shock to feel much grief just yet. Then a worse piece of news comes the next morning: Nicholas Slapfoot, the town's frightening scrap man, a man who almost killed John on his last birthday, ...more
Nathan Forrester
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great little series of book for kids. I look forward to reading them to my kids. Very clean with a good messages and a fun story.
Christine O'malley
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youth-fiction
I have read this series many times. There are hidden lessons that can be related to ordinary life. There are similarities with C.S.Lewis' Narnia series, with children the key characters and God as a real-world participant in the adventures. Here there are answers to questions about how to explain the difference between magicians and seers, and between magic and miracles.

The characters have flaws that have potential to ruin them emotionally, and the way that they are able to overcome these to bec
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
John has a very eventful 13th birthday. For years his Grandma has promised to tell him the story of his parents on this day; John knows his mother is dead, but his father is more a mystery. However, when the big day arrives things go rather horrible, and John still doesn't find out about his family. Before his life can go really terribly (or be ended), John finds a strange door that leads him to new adventures, a battle of good and evil that takes place around and in him and a marvelous differen ...more
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
I found this book impossible to read without being reminded in my inner sense by my own nostaglic feelings for Narnia which I loved so so much.
This is the story John Wilson who after a traumatic event and in life threatening circumstances finds himself in another world inhabited by Matmon, dwarf like creatures and the purpose of fulfilling a prohency made about him centuries ago.
My main point of comparision to the Chronicles of Narnia would for the audience it is written. This is very much
King Haddock
Aug 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this first book in the Archives of Anthropos. However, the last five I did not much care for. While I see how John White wanted to incorporate Biblical principles and stories into his fantasy novels, it is a bit over-done, as is his use of fantasy creatures. Not so in the first book, though. This one actually is a lot of fun to read.
Mar 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Jemma by: Kathy
This is a review of the entire series
A great series of books, a lot like Narnia, children from our world go into another and meet Jesus/Aslan/Gaal. The characters were interesting and so was the plot. The last book was my favorite.
Random note: I remember imagining the citizens of this land as insects when I was younger.
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Charmaine Stubblefield
Shelves: fantasy
I really enjoyed reading this! I picked up and read "The Iron Scepter" (number 4 in this series I think?) and decided to give the rest of the books a try. John White spins an encouraging tale that smacks of C. S. Lewis's Narnia Chronicles quite a bit, but remains different enough to be entertaining and fun to read. We can all be inspired by John and his newly found friends. :0)
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great fantasy set of books for pre-teens and teens. Comparable to the Narnia series. The only one I didn't like as well was the last one. All are action packed as the kids in the story become transformed; their flaws changed through the tough circumstances they go through.
Jennifer Zartman
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Archives of Anthropos are some of my favorite books for young people. Our family enjoyed all of them, and The Sword Bearer is my personal favorite. I love the character of Mab--his patience, his persistence, and his steadfastness when faced with temptation all inspire me and encourage me.
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this series! I think this is the fourth time through :) Much like the Chronicle of Narnia, the Archives of Anthropos is full of symbolism and rich meaning. I highly recommend this series for individual reading or reading aloud as a family.
Dec 06, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Not bad, although I agree with others who have mentioned that the story seemed a bit stretched to fit with a Christian agenda (not that I don't think it's a very worthy agenda). It didn't sabotage the book completely, however, and I enjoyed it.
Apr 03, 2010 rated it did not like it
It was after reading this book in high school, that I realized I could write stories that would be better than this. Even then, I felt it was a cheap, thin knock off of Tolkien. I never read another book in the series.
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book did remind me a lot of a Chronicle of Narnia book. Even though I had not read the first two books in the series I had no problem understanding what was going on.
Six-Fingered Nigel
Apr 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed it. Started off a little slowly but after a few chapters picked up.
Mar 29, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
i need a shelve labeled "gave up on bc life is too short to stick it out." this would be on it; labeled a "narnia readalike" maybe i came to this book too late in life. but yuck!
Karen Fallot
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I believe this is a Christian allegorical series as God is referenced as "the Changer". Recommended for a mature tween or teen-adult.
Gwen Burrow
Jun 12, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
I read this before I knew what bad writing was. I learned quickly.
Jan 11, 2016 rated it liked it
I read it because my brother liked it... Ehhh
Stephanie Crockett
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Perfectly amazing! Closely resembles Narnia :)
Wendy Pimm
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
My kids loved it. We read it as a bed time book and they love this series. We started with the Tower.
Gonna read them all.
Cathrine Bonham
Apr 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is the first in a very good series of books. Very reminisent of Narnia but with a much more obviouse biblical message.
Bonnijean Marley
My dd checked this out of the school library. Some very exciting parts. A few parts did lag, but overall a good read.
Jan 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
really cool
May 28, 2014
Tim Bariteau
Apr 03, 2012
rated it did not like it
Oct 31, 2014
Bethany  Moore
Jan 10, 2013
Jul 07, 2010
  • The Magic Bicycle (Spirit Flyer, #1)
  • Bringer of Storms (Binding of the Blade #2)
  • The Lion Vrie (The White Lion Chronicles #2)
  • Tales of the Resistance (Tales of the Kingdom, #2)
  • The Red Keep: A Story of Burgundy in 1165
  • Raiders from the Sea (Viking Quest, #1)
  • Flight Of The Eagles (Seven Sleepers, #1)
  • A Knight of the White Cross
  • 絶対平和大作戦 1 (Zettai Heiwa Daisakusen, #1)
  • To Darkness Fled (Blood of Kings, #2)
  • The Way of the Wilderking (The Wilderking Trilogy, #3)
  • The Sword and the Flame (The Dragon King, #3)
  • Shanghaied to China

John White was an Evangelical Christian author, an associate professor of psychiatry at the University of Manitoba and a pastor of Church of the Way.
More about John White...