PenPal Readers discussion

Archive [Copy Cat Challenge] > July CopyCat Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Anne ✨ (last edited Jul 10, 2018 07:06AM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Pairings are posted, see message 17 below
Summary of books chosen, see message 41 below
-------------------------
Duration: July 1-31, 2018
Partner pairings announced: July 1 (announced in this thread)

For FULL details of how the copy cat challenge works, please visit the 'About Copy Cat Challenge' post here...

SUMMARY:
In this challenge, participants are paired up to choose and read a book from their partner's read shelf and compare how they each rated the book. It's a fun way to discover new books, to read from different genre(s), and to make PenPal connections. This challenge repeats monthly, and you sign-up separately for each month you wish to participate.

COMPLETING THE CHALLENGE
- Week 1: Review your paired partner's 'Read shelf' and choose a book(s) to read. Post to this thread to update your partner on the book chosen. (You can ask them for suggestions too!)
- Week 1-4: Begin reading, and post any updates/thoughts as you read.
- Week 3-4: Complete your read, and post to the thread with final thoughts on the book and comparing how you and your partner each rated the book.

Participation = Post to thread (book choice), Read book, Post to thread (finished book thoughts)

NOTE:
- Please only sign-up if you are confident you have time to choose and read a book. If you are no longer able to participate after signing up, message a Mod or update this thread, so we can re-match, and no-one is left without a partner for the month!
- Remember to re-visit this thread on July 1 to see who you have been paired up with for the month (adding a calendar reminder helps!)

message 2: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments sign me up please!

message 3: by Amber M. (new)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 169 comments Signing up! :)

message 4: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 29 comments Sign me up!

message 5: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 28 comments I would like to sign-up!

message 6: by Annie (new)

Annie | 89 comments Count me in :)

message 7: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Reads Books (chloee_matthews) count me in! :)

message 8: by Mihika (new)

Mihika Sawant | 15 comments Sign me up this time as well please :)

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (lostanddamnedangel) | 7 comments Sign me up :)

message 10: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Robinson | 3 comments This sounds interesting. Count me in.

message 11: by Missy (new)

Missy (Purplemadness) | 31 comments I'm in! 😀

message 12: by Mia (new)

Mia (mia_hs03) | 2 comments Sign me up!

message 13: by Cindee (new)

Cindee | 20 comments I'm in

message 14: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments I'm still working my way slowly through my May Copy Cat read =^.^=

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann | 38 comments I’m in.

message 16: by Anne ✨ (last edited Jul 01, 2018 06:01PM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Forgive the late posting today.. I was traveling from Canada back to the US. Happy Copycat reading to all :)

Here are the pairings for July:
Mion & Jazzy
Amber & Annie
Kyle & Alahamora310
Kristina & Tiffany
Chloe & Jennifer
Mihika & Missy
Ann & Cindee
Anne & Mia

Each name above links to the individual’s profile page, where you will browse their ‘read shelf’ and choose your book to read. WELCOME to the members who are new to this challenge: Cindee, Jennifer, Mia, Tiffany,

Completing the Challenge:
Week 1: Visit your paired partner’s profile page to browse their ‘Read’ Shelf and choose the book(s) you’d like to read. Post a comment in the thread to let your partner know what you’ll be reading.
Week 1-4: Begin reading, and post any updates/thoughts as you read.
Week 3-4: When you finish your book, post a comment with your final thoughts, and comparing how you and your partner each rated the book.

**** If you can no longer participate for this month, please message me or update the thread as soon as possible, so we can arrange a re-match, and no one is left without a partner! ****

You can view FAQ's in the ‘About Copy Cat Challenge’ thread here…

Happy reading!

message 17: by Cindee (last edited Jul 01, 2018 07:40PM) (new)

Cindee | 20 comments My Partner is Ann and I will be reading
Changeless (Parasol Protectorate, #2) by Gail Carriger
Her Rating: 4 Stars
My Rating:
Or
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1) by Benjamin Alire Sáenz
Her Rating: 4 Stars
My Rating:
Or
Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) by Beth Revis
Her Rating: 5 Stars
My Rating:

message 18: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 29 comments Hi プラドニャ!

You have a lot of freakin' great books! It's hard to choose, I'm going to be going through all of your read list! I've already added several books that seem really interesting! I didn't know Roald Dahl wrote adult books. And your science and tech bookshelf is spectacular.

So far I'm leaning towards reading Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief. I've put it on hold at the library so I can pick it up. But definitely I'll be reading more books of yours!

message 19: by Mia (new)

Mia (mia_hs03) | 2 comments Hi Anne!

You have a lot of interesting books and it seems like we have quite similar tastes :). I had a hard time deciding on what book to read but eventually settled on:
The Shack by WM Paul Young

I hope to read more books from your library in the future!

message 20: by Mihika (new)

Mihika Sawant | 15 comments Hello Missy,

Loved scrolling through your Reading Lists and I have picked up - To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee.

I have been meaning to read this classic since a long time and now seems to be a perfect time to read it.

Thanks Anne again for co-ordinating this challenge. This makes me pick up books which have been lying unread for longest time and makes me read them.

message 21: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Reads Books (chloee_matthews) Hi Jennifer!

Your read list is very interesting - there's a lot of books I want to read!

I would love to read The Wicked Deep but unfortunately it's not in my library yet and I have banned myself from buying more books at the moment! To Kill a Kingdom also isn't there yet.

I was thinking of reading Asking for It by Louise O'Neill but then I scrolled way deeper into your read list and found The Angel Experiment. I have this on my bookshelf at home but have never picked it up - so I'm going to give this a try.

If you have any questions about what I'd recommend on my shelf then please just give me a shout.

message 22: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Mia wrote: "Hi Anne! You have a lot of interesting books and it seems like we have quite similar tastes :)... I eventually settled on:
The Shack by WM Paul Yo..."

Hi Mia, You have a lot of interesting books too, I loved the variety!

I hope you enjoy The Shack, it gets a lot of mixed reviews because of the religious/spirituality themes to it. I enjoyed it as a fictional story that makes you think and imagine, but I understood the mixed reactions of some readers loving it, some readers disliking it.

On your shelf I'm really intrigued by the children's books by Michael Morpurgo. You've read quite a few of them, they all sound really good... I've not read any of his books - do you have a recommendation on which one you enjoyed the most? War Horse looks to be his most popular, but if there's a different one you enjoyed more, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

message 23: by Anne ✨ (last edited Jul 02, 2018 09:03AM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Mihika wrote: "Thanks Anne again for co-ordinating this challenge. This makes me pick up books which have been lying unread for longest time and makes me read them. "

Thanks Mihika! It's a really great group of participants in this challenge who have varied and fascinating books on their read shelf. I've discovered many new authors, and yes, definitely, it has also nudged me towards owned but unread books too :) It's one of the challenges I look forward to the most :)

message 24: by Jazzy (last edited Jul 02, 2018 09:43AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Dear Mion!

With great joy I will being perusing your marvellous store of books for one that (I haven't read yet) hammers into my heart.

To be continued.....

Jazzy

PS I have just started Howl's Moving Castle, but will be finished by tomorrow I think. Perhaps it is time to begin The Guest Cat by Takashi Hiraide!

message 25: by Missy (new)

Missy (Purplemadness) | 31 comments Mihika wrote: "Hello Missy,

Loved scrolling through your Reading Lists and I have picked up - To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee.

I have been meaning to read this classic since a long time and now seems to be..."

Hi Mihika,

I chose Who Moved My Cheese? it sounded really interesting! I have a little bit of a wait because I need it to become available on overdrive.

message 26: by Ann (new)

Ann | 38 comments HI Cindee!
You have so many books on your READ shelf that are on my TBR.
I think I'll pick one of these:
Children of Blood and Bone, The Last Magician, Walk on Earth a Stranger, Daughter of the Pirate King, The Great American Whatever.
Maybe I'll read them all this month. :)

message 27: by Amber M. (new)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 169 comments

Greetings, Annie! ;)

I'm glad to be paired with you again, we seem to have some similar taste in reading material. For this round, my short list is:
The Alchemist
Outlander
The Bird and the Sword
Norse Mythology
What Lies Beyond The Stars

message 28: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 28 comments Dear Tiffany,

I have perused through your shelves and after much thought I have choose to read The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue. It has been on my list for sometime now so this is the perfect opportunity to read it. I will jump into it when I am able to get a copy from the library. I am excited to see what your choice will be!

From,

Kristina

message 29: by Annie (new)

Annie | 89 comments Amber wrote: "
Greetings, Annie! ;)

I'm glad to be paired with you again, we seem to have some similar taste in reading material. For this round, my short list is:
The Alchemist
[book:Outlander|10964..."

Hiya Amber! :)

Same! As there were a few books that caught my eye last time, will go through them again tomorrow and make a short list!

Great book choice I really liked all of them, I would say it depends on what you are in the mood for... However, I recently reread some chapters from Bird and the Sword and now I want to reread it as I forgot how enchanting it is. Though, The Alchemist and What Lies Beyond the Stars give you food for thought.

Norse Mythology and Outlander are also easy going reads, I took my time with Norse Mythology as its basically a book of short stories leading up to the main event. Outlander I read quite quickly as I really enjoyed it and wanted to know what would happen next.

Hope this helps!

Annie

message 30: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Dear Jazzy!

Although I've been inspired to read so many of the books from you've been reading recently, I had never taken a look on your shelf and I'm absolutely mesmerized by the wide variety of books you've read. It's impressive!

I'm already currently reading Les Misérables and listening to the wonderful Sherlock Holmes collection (which I'm enjoying greatly, so thank you again for the recommendation!) and because of that, I will probably pick a short read from your shelves for this challenge (or many, depending how much time I'll dedicate to reading this month). I'm thinking of Bonjour tristesse although I'll have to check if my library has it. If not, I'll combine this challenge with the Icebreaker one and pick one of your books from there!

I'm truly excited to read from your shelf.

Mion

message 31: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (lostanddamnedangel) | 7 comments Chloe wrote: "Hi Jennifer!

I would love to read The Wicked Deep but unfortunately it's not in my library yet and I have banned myself..."

Hey Chloe :)

If you have a Kindle, I could give you the epubs ! :) I've checked your read list and I think I'll read The Roanoke Girls. The story seems pretty interesting. But if you have more books to recommend me, I'd gladly listen.
Give me a shout if you need to know anything as well !

message 32: by Amber M. (new)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 169 comments Annie wrote: "Amber wrote: "
Greetings, Annie! ;)

The Alchemist
[book:O..."

Thanks, it is certainly going to be a tough choice.

message 33: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Reads Books (chloee_matthews) Jennifer wrote: "Chloe wrote: "Hi Jennifer!

I would love to read The Wicked Deep but unfortunately it's not in my library yet and I have..."

Hi Jennifer!

I do have a Kindle but never use it - can't get into the habit! But thank you anyway (also, I don't even know hoe that works!).

The Roanoke Girls is a good choice, but it's quite a dark book. It didn't bother me but just a heads up!

I'm only a couple pages into the Angel Experiment so far but it seems interesting.

Chloe

message 34: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Robinson | 3 comments Hey Kristina!
I looked through your list and it was hard to pick a book! I finally decided to go with A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab. I have never read anything by her, but I keep hearing good things so I am excited to start it.
I am glad to hear you picked The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue. I really enjoyed it and I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the book.

Tiffany

message 35: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (lostanddamnedangel) | 7 comments Chloe wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Chloe wrote: "Hi Jennifer!

I would love to read The Wicked Deep but unfortunately it's not in my libra..."

Hey Chloe

I could easily explain it to you, but if you can't get into the habit, it's okay :)

I love dark books, so it's all good.

It is, it's been a long time since I've read it, but I remember I really liked it.

Jen

message 36: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 28 comments Tiffany,

I am glad that you were able to find a book that caught your attention. In my opinion you chose a good one. I really enjoyed it and I really hope you do as well. I look forward to your thoughts!

Happy Reading,

Kristina

message 37: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Reads Books (chloee_matthews) Hi Jen,

I was typing a comment here last night to say I was struggling to get into the book but didn't post it. Today I've been lay out in the sun and have managed 250 pages! I do find it a bit too simplistic - I think I would have enjoyed it more a couple of years ago, but I'm enjoying it purely because it's an easy read.

Have you got started on The Roanoke Girls?

Chloe

message 38: by Jennifer (last edited Jul 08, 2018 12:44PM) (new)

Jennifer (lostanddamnedangel) | 7 comments Hey Chloé,

Yeah, I know what you mean. I read it a really long time ago lol I'm sure if I read it again, I'd surely not rate it the same way.

Yes, I'm almost done. I'm 70% in. Give me a day or two and I'm done, since I'm reading Thunderhead at the same time. It's kinda good so far, but a bit slow. And I've got some ideas how it'll end, but I'm still waiting for something surprising to come :)

Jen

message 39: by Anne ✨ (last edited Jul 25, 2018 10:28AM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Here's a look at the great assortment of books participants have chosen from paired partners shelves for the challenge this month! A few are still choosing, so many great books to choose from! Happy reading copycats!

Bonjour tristesse by Françoise Sagan Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1) by Diana Wynne Jones Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman A Pocketful of Crows by Joanne Harris Going Clear Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Montague Siblings, #1) by Mackenzi Lee A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1) by V.E. Schwab The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride, #1) by James Patterson The Roanoke Girls by Amy Engel To Kill a Mockingbird (To Kill a Mockingbird, #1) by Harper Lee Who Moved My Cheese? by Spencer Johnson Daughter of the Pirate King (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1) by Tricia Levenseller War Horse (War Horse, #1) by Michael Morpurgo The Shack by William Paul Young

Mion -Bonjour Tristesse | Jazzy - Howls Moving Castle
Amber - Norse mythology | Annie - A pocketful of crows
Kyle - Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief | Alahamora310 - The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Kristina - The Gentleman's Guide to Vice & Virtue | Tiffany - A Darker Shade of Magic
Chloe - The Angel Experiment | Jennifer - The Roanoke Girls
Mihika - To Kill a Mockingbird | Missy - Who Moved my Cheese
Ann - Daughter of the Pirate King | Cindee - TBC
Anne - War Horse | Mia - The Shack

message 40: by Jazzy (last edited Jul 10, 2018 09:06AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Dear Mion

I will choose Howl's Moving Castle even though i'd started it just before we were officially paired in the challenge. My former partner was from Wales, so I have been quite often and absolutely love it. The cheery cheekiness with which they reveal Howl has come from Wales was so hilarious I laughed out loud. You know that's one reason the lovely Christian Bale did Howl's voice - he too comes from Wales.

your hep cat, copy cat kitten,
Jazzy x

message 41: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Reads Books (chloee_matthews) Hi Jen,

Just finished Maximum Ride! Got to say that unfortunately I'm not a massive fan. First of all I didn't realise that this was a series, so I was really disappointed in the ending. Apart from that I just felt like there was a lot that could be improved. I wanted to do a more lengthy review but will do that soon! I hope you've had a good time reading The Roanoke Girls!

Chloe

message 42: by Anne ✨ (last edited Jul 10, 2018 09:40AM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Hi Mia,

I finished War Horse. I liked that the story was from the horse's point of view although I wasn't over-the-moon about the story overall. As an adult the story felt a little too simplistic, but I can see how it would be a popular children's story. I'm curious to read another of his books, to see how it compares. I'm thinking of The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips, to get my cat fix in :)

message 43: by Jennifer (last edited Jul 10, 2018 09:49AM) (new)

Jennifer (lostanddamnedangel) | 7 comments Chloe wrote: "Hi Jen,

Just finished Maximum Ride! Got to say that unfortunately I'm not a massive fan. First of all I didn't realise that this was a series, so I was really disappointed in the ending. Apart fro..."

Hey Chloe,
Hopefully, your next book will be a far more enjoyable read :)
I had a good time but I found myself wishing it'd have had a more complicated plot. But it was an easy read, and an entertaining one.

Jen

message 44: by Annie (new)

Annie | 89 comments Hi Amber,

After much debating I decided to go with a completely random choice, and have therefore ended up with 'A Pocketful of Crows' literally just bought it now :) Have you been able to come to a decision? :)

Annie

message 45: by Amber M. (new)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 169 comments Annie wrote: "Hi Amber,

After much debating I decided to go with a completely random choice, and have therefore ended up with 'A Pocketful of Crows' literally just bought it now :) Have you been able to come to a decision? :)"

Nice. That was a recent random choice for me too! Stumbled across it in my Updates Feed, and impulsively decided I needed to have it. I still haven't made a decision... leaning toward The Alchemist, or Norse Mythology. Maybe I'll do both ;)

message 46: by Annie (new)

Annie | 89 comments Haha if you have time definitely do both! Enjoying APFOC, really like the writing style!

message 47: by Amber M. (new)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 169 comments Annie wrote: "Haha if you have time definitely do both! Enjoying APFOC, really like the writing style!"

It is rather poetic. Glad you're enjoying it :)

message 48: by Amber M. (last edited Jul 21, 2018 06:51PM) (new)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 169 comments Ok, I've settled on Norse Mythology. I just have to finish another 2 1/4 books first :P

message 49: by Annie (new)

Annie | 89 comments Hi Amber,

I finished 'A Pocketful of Crows' and I really loved the writing style though I felt the middle dragged a bit. I gave it 3/5 stars as the relationship between the characters didn't work for me but 5/5 for the writing... If that makes sense... :)

message 50: by Tiina (last edited Jul 19, 2018 07:04AM) (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Dear Jazzy!

As unbelievable as it feels even to me, I've just finished two books from your shelf! Intentionally, I chose Bonjour tristesse, as I remembered being more drawn in by your review than the short summary given in the description. If it weren't for you, I would probably have passed this amazing book because of that! I enjoyed it greatly and I can't have chosen a better book for this hot and sunny weather here.

The second book I finished was The Borrowers. When I browsed your shelves, I didn't notice it there at first, so it was a pleasant surprise once I started tracking the reading progress on Goodreads. Like you, I gave it 3/5 stars although I probably would have loved this book as a child. It was a cozy read but nothing that would excite me enough to really love this book. Now, I'll go and rewatch Miyazaki's "The Secret World of Arrietty" and think what to pick up next. I'm in my hometown for a couple of more days and since I didn't pack my books, I can take advantage of all the wonderful bookshelves here.

Mion x

« previous 1