Start by marking “Daughter of the Pirate King (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1)” as Want to Read:
Daughter of the Pirate King (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1)

Daughter of the Pirate King

(Daughter of the Pirate King #1)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  128,337 ratings  ·  15,171 reviews
There will be plenty of time for me to beat him soundly once I’ve gotten what I came for.

Sent on a mission to retrieve an ancient hidden map—the key to a legendary treasure trove—seventeen-year-old pirate captain Alosa deliberately allows herself to be captured by her enemies, giving her the perfect opportunity to search their ship.

More than a match for the ruthless pirate
Published February 28th 2017 by Feiwel and Friends
Featured Notes & Highlights

Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCaraval by Stephanie GarberCarve the Mark by Veronica RothFlame in the Mist by Renée Ahdieh
YA Novels of 2017
1,095 books — 7,706 voters
The Hate U Give by Angie ThomasA Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. MaasEleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail HoneymanA Conjuring of Light by V.E. SchwabCaraval by Stephanie Garber
Best Books of 2017
1,666 books — 3,111 voters

More lists with this book...

·  128,337 ratings  ·  15,171 reviews

Start your review of Daughter of the Pirate King (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1)
Emily May
Apr 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult, 2017
It should not be this difficult to stay prisoner on a pirate ship. This is the second time I’ve had to stage my own capture. Ridiculous.

3 1/2 stars. This was a whole lot of fun for the most part! My few complaints are not really huge issues, but more "this could have been a lot better if..." However, it was a decent debut and I'll be looking out for the next in the series (quick warning: the title of the sequel is kind of a spoiler for part of this book).

Daughter of the Pirate King has a rat
emma
Jan 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
this review is posted now!! which is good b/c i definitely haven't hit my talking-about-how-much-i-hate-this-book quota. find it here: https://emmareadstoomuch.wordpress.co...

-------------

I have a nemesis now.

I’ve long wondered whether the natural next step in my evil-genius career is to find a nemesis. I have the excess time and aimless fury to direct to it. I have no problem holding years-long grudges for things such as “he should have picked up on my entirely unexpressed infatuation with him
Chelsea Humphrey
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found myself with a little extra time on my hands last week, so I decided to throw aside all of my review copies and pick up this little beauty from the library. It is rare that I get a chance to read books on hold anymore, and ESPECIALLY rare that I can pick up a library book and read it that same day! I was just looking for something entertaining, a great escape that could take me away for a bit into somewhere else, and this was the perfect read for such an occasion. I can't express how exci ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
4.5 Stars - Reread 2022

************2017***********

I loved this book. The pirate captain, Princess Alosa, was bad to the bone and I loved it!

Alosa was taken by another pirate and his crew. Captain Draxen and his brother Riden thought they got lucky by capturing the pirate king's daughter. Ha, little did they know.

******SOME SPOILERS******

Alosa was sent to this ship by her own father, to be taken as a prisoner. She is on a quest to find some maps. She has to pretend she's not as bad @ssed as she
High Lady of The Night Court
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-read
AmazingAmazingAmazing!
I absolutely loved this book from start to finish. I love the protagonist and her personality. The story is not particularly fast but it is very captivating and makes you want to keep delving deeper into this world. I love the whole pirates concept and reading from the perspective of the daughter of the pirate king adds to the whole effect.

The book starts off with our protagonist disguised as a man and her ship is currently being attacked. She surrenders and is capture
Ida
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
4.5 stars!

Oh boy. Daughter of the Pirate King fulfils all promises and more. This is definitely one of my best reads in 2017.

"I value brilliant minds, honest souls, and those with long endurance. I forge relationships based on trust and mutual respect, not fear and control."

description

Update: 27.10.17

I will admit I love a sassy character, and Alosa could definitely give Celaena Sardothien a run for her money when it comes to wits and brutality.

description

I won't say she's exactly like Captain Jack Sparrows (
jessica
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ive recently discovered the show ‘black sails,’ so catch me over here reading everything about pirates that i can get my greedy little hands on. 🏴☠️

while this story is a slow burn (which i understand will turn off some readers), i quite enjoyed the slow placing and time taken to get to know the characters. this story also doesnt take itself seriously - its a little dramatic and over-the-top at times, but i enjoyed the light quality to it.

and while the promise of pirates and treasure hunts is wh
Katerina
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2017-reads
Ahoy, mates!

Have you re-watched The Pirates of the Caribbean so many times you know every scene by heart?
Have you ever wished you could wield a sword and battle sea-beasts, explore bright blue oceans and listen to the song of sirens?
Are you fascinated by hidden treasures and pirate rivalries?
And, most importantly, do you like your books uplifting, of the put-a-huge-grin-on-your-face variety?

If you answered yes at least once, then lo and behold! You just found your new obsession!

“Oh, th
Reynita ★ The Night Reader ★

On a beautiful and sunny day, there was a girl sit on a bench. Her best friend who walked by saw her and she approached her to say hi

Me : *sits on a bench with gloomy demeanor*

My best friend : Hey! ... I wanted to ask you about how your day is but ... I thought better of it.

My best friend : *sits on a bench beside me*

My best friend : Is there something you want to tell me?

Me : *takes a deep breath and shows this book*

Me : Yes, there is. This book is the reason why I'm in such a bad mood. So
megs_bookrack ((is on vacation))
Sent on a mission to retrieve part of a map leading to the mysterious Isla de Canta, home to a secret treasure, 17-year old Pirate Captain, Alosa, gets kidnapped by her enemies. On purpose.

This may seem like an odd tactic, but Alosa knows once she is aboard the enemy ship she will have ample opportunity to search for the map.

Her enemies, too busy congratulating themselves for capturing the Pirate King's daughter, won't even notice when she begins her search.

It appears her assumptions are corre
Lucy Tonks
May 20, 2021 rated it did not like it
I'm not sure if my standarts for books have been raised by The Poppy War and Attack on Titan or if this was actually that bad. Probably both.

I hated this book so much. I don't think there was a moment while reading this when I didn't feel like complaining about something. I really wanted to like it since the premise sounded so interesting and it also had one of my all time favourite troupes, but in the end this was a big letdown for me.

Daughter of the Pirate King follows seventeen year old pir
Jessi ❤️ H. Vojsk [if villain, why hot?]
Story ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
When I was younger I was totally crazy about the movies „Pirates of the Caribbean“.
First of all: Orlando Bloom. I totally had a thing for him.
Second: Captain Jack Sparrow aka Johnny Depp aka the coolest Pirate in the world.
This book is like a book version of pirates of the Caribbean with a female badass Captain Jack Sparrow called Arosa who is also the daughter of the pirate king.
I was addicted from the start. Mostly because I loved the main character and her sassy personality.
She-who-must-not-be-named
"The world continues on. I continue on. Because if nothing else, I’m a survivor"

Seventeen-year-old Alosa, daughter of the pirate king, is our sassy, powerhouse of a female protagonist and also the to-be queen. The fact that she gives a lot of thought before she acts keeps the readers on the edge of their seat. She is as humourous and witty as she is belligerent and well-trained. She definitely knows what she's doing and will stop at nothing to prove her worth. To put it simply, she is everythi
Paige ♠
Sep 01, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars, library-book
This was the first time I've stayed up late to finish a book in a while 😅 It was completely accidental, but I really enjoyed the story and couldn't put it down so here we are 🤷 This seems to keep happening to me with pirate books!

ALOSA WAS A GREAT female lead. She was everything that a badass pirate should have been but still had a strong feminine feel. The author did a good job showing not telling how strong and cut-throat Alosa was but I also loved how she was kind of vain and obsessed with
Charlotte May
What an exciting, swashbuckling tale!

"The sea watches over me. She protects her own."

Alosa is the daughter of the long feared pirate King, ruler of the seas. When she is kidnapped by one of her father's competitors, she must use all of her cunning and skills in order to escape.

Alosa is everything you would want in a heroine: a no nonsense, cut throat when necessary, take no prisoners, sneaky, sarky and sassy pirate.
I actually really enjoyed the will they/won't they relationship between Alosa
Alyssa
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-releases
Fun. Entertaining. Empowering. Cute. I looking forward to reading book two.

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller
Book One of the Daughter of the Pirate King series
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Publication Date: February 28, 2017
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

A 17-year-old pirate captain intentionally allows herself to get captured by enemy pirates in this thrilling YA adventure.

Sent on a mission to
Lucie V.
“I am me because I choose to be me. I am what I want. Some people say you have to find yourself. Not I. I believe we create ourselves to be what we want. Any aspect of ourselves that we do not like can be altered if we make an effort.”

✅ Pirates
✅ Twists and betrayals
✅ "Only one bed" trope
✅🆗 Relationship / Romance
🆗 Some parts of the plot are predictable / convenient

This was such a delightful surprise! I was not expecting to enjoy this book s
Drcong O '
This was such a kickass, action packed and fun story about PIRATES and a super badass FEMALE PIRATE!!!! This book is not perfect and has so so many flaws which kind of bothered me (mainly the writing) but, it was just. so. fun!

Review to come.

-----
The main character reminds me of Merida from Brave and on top of that she's a badass pirate??? My two favorite things????? Wow, I'm pumped.
Peyton Reads
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
4.5 stars! The second book literally can't come soon enough! Such an entertaining and unputdownable book! ...more
Cindy ✩☽♔
“Oh, the ridiculous things one has to do when one is a pirate.”

OMG so good!!! I love this book <3 Honestly it is probably one of my favorite books this year! As I had mentioned before, I am no fan of the cover. So I ended up just reading getting the ePUB, but man I adore this book so much I might buy a hard copy despite my dislike for the cover.

This book is a fast-paced, fun, action-packed pirate adventure, filled with manipulation, cunning, thievery, romance, humor and a great helping of wit
Eliza
4 STARS

I literally had zero updates for this novel - BUT, that's because I read it during a 6 hour flight today. It was that enjoyable and gripping. However, even though I read it so quickly and found myself grinning nearly every chapter, I do have a few complaints.

First, can we talk about how refreshing it was to have a female character that wasn't all afraid to kill someone? I'm honestly tired of characters saying they are "assassins" even though they never kill anyone. Alosa was not like that
Esmeralda &#x1f48c;
Feb 08, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2022-favs
Slow burn, enemies to lovers, one bed trope, “who did this to you” trope, knife on throat, pirates/sirens, fast paced plot, Riden, girlboss fmc, Riden, amazing banter and RIDEN again. Perfection.
pauline
Aug 13, 2021 rated it liked it
Oooof I gave it my best shot. 🙂

I like the humor in the writing and that it’s a short book, but also I really couldn’t get into the characters.

There’s a lot of talk about Alosa being badass, and I LOVE BADASS WOMEN (also her crew) but I didn’t need to be told how badass she was every few pages.

I’m really not even that interested in daughter of the siren queen and i have the damn book already.

Give it a shot, you might like it more than I did
Annabella⁷ (blackford & casteel's version)
“Oh, the ridiculous things one has to do when one is a pirate.”

Shiver me timers, If you look up the word ✨fun✨ in the dictionary, Daughter of the Pirate King will be there!! This book is giving Pirates of the Caribbean but make it more girl power plus *slight spoilers?* Mako Mermaids?? lol. I loved pirates as a child (the good smelling ones ofc) and I LOVED every second of this!! ALOSA IS SUCH A QUEEN👑 like seriously these female main characters in fantasy books, I’m LIVING. Of course I was prog
Lucy
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4****

”You’re a woman. Act like it. You shouldn’t be saying such foul-“
“I’ll say whatever I please. I’m not a lady, I’m a pirate!”

This was such a fun pirate adventure!

Alosa is daughter to the Pirate King- a notorious captain who owns all of the seas and controls those within it... as well as some on land.

She is sent on a mission to retrieve part of a hidden map- the key to a legendary and grand treasure trove. Everything her father desperately wants and she is desperate and prove herself to him.
Riley
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
After DNF-ing a shitty pirate book last month I was hesitant to read this. But I was pleasantly surprised. I finished it all in one sitting because it was super fun and fast paced. I really liked the main character and how she was always one step ahead of everyone. And her banter with another pirate was A+!
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
This was an extremely fun read. I loved Alosa! So fierce, sarcastic and intelligent. Loved the slow burning romance. Loved the action and twists.
Jessica
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was so much fun!

For the record, I’ve always loved pirates. Back in 6th grade I was OBSESSED with pirates. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest came out that year and fueled the fire to my obsession.

So back to this book, I loved the premise. The main character, Alosa, sets up her own kidnapping so that she can steal a map. How clever and a nice twist!

Alosa is such a badass. She’s the pirate queen I never knew I needed. Not only is she smart and a great fighter, but she’s also part
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

WARNING: THAR BE SPOILAGE

I’ve come to the conclusion that there are two types of grown women in the world. Those who love Disney and all of its princesses and then there’s me . . . .

I don’t understand how the other half thinks and they probably feel the same about me. That being said, I requested this from the library after seeing it being equated to “a female version of Jack Sparrow” which had me immediately going . . . .

Rachel E. Carter
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-paperback
Snarky. Fast-paced. Easy 5 stars. My favorite kind of YA fantasy fun!

Aghhhh, so good -I binge read this in the course of a night! Sure, it was a bit unbelievable (heroine perfect at everything, an enemy pirateship of mostly young, attractive men, convenient timing of several events, etc) but if you can suspend your skepticism and enjoy this book for the good fun it is (think YA Pirates of the Caribbean) then you'll find yourself a great new read: snarky/feisty YA heroine (who can definitely save

• Dance of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #1)
  • To Kill a Kingdom
  • Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Vow of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #2)
  • The Inheritance Games (The Inheritance Games, #1)
  • Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)
  • Ignite Me (Shatter Me, #3)
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Kingdom of the Wicked, #1)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
  • The Hawthorne Legacy (The Inheritance Games, #2)
  • Kingdom of the Cursed (Kingdom of the Wicked, #2)
  • Sky in the Deep (Sky and Sea, #1)
  • These Violent Delights (These Violent Delights, #1)
  • Restore Me (Shatter Me, #4)
See top shelves…
Initially from a small town in Oregon, Tricia now lives next to the Rocky Mountains with her bossy dog, Rosy. She received her degree in English Language and editing and is thrilled that she never has to read a textbook again. When she’s not writing or reading, Tricia enjoys putting together jigsaw puzzles, playing volleyball, playing OVERWATCH, and watching shows while eating extra-buttered popco ...more

Daughter of the Pirate King (3 books)
  • Daughter of the Siren Queen (Daughter of the Pirate King, #2)
  • Vengeance of the Pirate Queen (Daughter of the Pirate Queen, #3)

Articles featuring this book

A lord's daughter who pursues her passion for forensic science. A young girl who takes a stand after a heartbreaking tragedy. A...
“I am me because I choose to be me. I am what I want. Some people say you have to find yourself. Not I. I believe we create ourselves to be what we want.” 256 likes
“Everyone has something dark in their past. I suppose it's our job to overcome it. And if we can’t overcome it, then all we can do is make the most of it.” 161 likes