Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Tahir, Sabba--A Reaper at the Gates informal buddy reads starts June 28, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31607 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss A Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa Tahir.

Synopsis
Beyond the Empire and within it, the threat of war looms ever larger.

The Blood Shrike, Helene Aquilla, is assailed on all sides. Emperor Marcus, haunted by his past, grows increasingly unstable, while the Commandant capitalizes on his madness to bolster her own power. As Helene searches for a way to hold back the approaching darkness, her sister's life and the lives of all those in the Empire hang in the balance.

Far to the east, Laia of Serra knows the fate of the world lies not in the machinations of the Martial court, but in stopping the Nightbringer. But while hunting for a way to bring him down, Laia faces unexpected threats from those she hoped would aid her, and is drawn into a battle she never thought she'd have to fight.

And in the land between the living and the dead, Elias Veturius has given up his freedom to serve as Soul Catcher. But in doing so, he has vowed himself to an ancient power that will stop at nothing to ensure Elias's devotion–even at the cost of his humanity

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 19, 2018 06:12PM) (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3920 comments I’m in for team Tom Riddle.

message 5: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 404 comments Am here too Laura.
Let me know when you get to this one.

message 6: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa | 1360 comments I'm here from team Severus Snape. It looks like I will get the book from the library in time to join.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3920 comments Yay!

message 8: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2324 comments I'm here, I'm here! I'm reading Torch now and will likely jump into Reaper but I will be ready to discuss when everyone gets here!

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 20 comments Is it okay if i jump in even if I already read the book?

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3920 comments Rachel wrote: "Is it okay if i jump in even if I already read the book?"

Yes! Vicky said you still get participation points if you read it at any time during TT.

That's three of us here from Tom Riddle. :)

message 11: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2324 comments I've only read the first chapter of Reaper so far - I finished Torch this morning and I'm so glad I did I re-read. My memory is such trash that I forgot about some MAJOR plot points - like Keenan's backstory and what Avitas reveals to Helene at the end of Torch.

I feel like I would have had NO clue what was happening in the first chapter if I hadn't reread. I need to start taking notes or something... >.>

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 20 comments Vicky wrote: "I've only read the first chapter of Reaper so far - I finished Torch this morning and I'm so glad I did I re-read. My memory is such trash that I forgot about some MAJOR plot points - like Keenan's..."

I should have done what you did because my memory if the same. But, I didn't because I couldn't wait to read reaper

message 13: by Vicky (last edited Jun 26, 2018 08:42PM) (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2324 comments Oh. My. God. I finished this last night and the feels are so serious. I was so weepy eyed.

So, some thoughts.

Cook - I called that! (view spoiler)

Keris - (view spoiler)

Marcus - (view spoiler)

Avitas - No spoilers, but I love him.

I don't even know what to say about Elias, Helene and Laia. My heart is so broken for all of them, but I have a feeling the next book will be epic.

message 14: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 404 comments I will start this one in a couple of days. I am a little worried about it being so long since I read the others, but I can't really go back right now. I might have to pick your brains!

message 15: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 404 comments Vicky wrote: "I've only read the first chapter of Reaper so far - I finished Torch this morning and I'm so glad I did I re-read. My memory is such trash that I forgot about some MAJOR plot points - like Keenan's..."

Hi Vicky
Would you be willing to spoiler share in a sentence or two Keenan's backstory and what Avitas revealed?

message 16: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 5866 comments Hi all. May I join in the fun? Team Remus Lupin. I want to do a quick scan of Torch, and read Reaper this weekend.

message 17: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa | 1360 comments Hi, team Severus Snape here. I'll be joining but I might be a bit late getting started. I want to finish a couple books before I start this one.

message 18: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 4262 comments Hi. Pomona Sprout here. I'm going to try this one in audio - I'm not sure how well I remember book 2, but hopefully enough to continue on!

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3920 comments Suzanne, there’s a BR for books 1 & 2, too. And you can ignore the start dates because Quidditch. :)

message 20: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 5866 comments Wow, I just realized that I had only read the first book. So, I will read Torch first, then catch up here soon.

message 21: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 4262 comments Thanks Laura!

"because Quidditch" is becoming a by-word - I have so many undone RL things - but so many cool books to catch up on too - - because Quidditch :)

message 22: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2324 comments Vicki Willis wrote: "Hi Vicky
Would you be willing to spoiler share in a sentence or two Keenan's backstory and what Avitas revealed?"

Yes! I'll spoiler tag them but they're only spoilers for Torch so no one who is on Reaper needs to be afraid of them! ;)

Keenan: (view spoiler)

Avitas: I don't want to say too much about this because more details are revealed in Reaper and since I read them back to back this read I honestly don't remember which details were where, but the jist of the reveal from Torch is that (view spoiler)

message 23: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 4262 comments Through midbook of THIS book

Comindant (wow I realized I don't know how to spell that) (view spoiler)

Helene (view spoiler)

message 24: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Starting this tonight!

message 25: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 4262 comments Yay!!

message 26: by Cathy M. (last edited Jul 02, 2018 12:58AM) (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments So far thru Chpt 6 -

(view spoiler)

message 27: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 4262 comments Through Chapter 6 - reply to Cathy

(view spoiler)

message 28: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) Just finished ch 39

(view spoiler)

message 29: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Suzanne wrote: "Through Chapter 6 - reply to Cathy

..."

(view spoiler)

Haven't had a chance to read much more today because work was too busy but will come back tomorrow to comment some more.

message 30: by Ora (last edited Jul 03, 2018 05:57AM) (new)

Ora (oeamis) I finished

Wow a lot of sacrifices were made.
Elias (view spoiler)
Laia: (view spoiler)
Helene (view spoiler)
Marcus: (view spoiler)
Commandant: (view spoiler)

message 31: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Thru Chpt 29 -

(view spoiler)

message 32: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Suzanne wrote: "Through midbook of THIS book

Comindant (wow I realized I don't know how to spell that) [spoilers removed]

Helene [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 33: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 4262 comments I finished it yesterday but didn't have time to comment. Let's see....

(view spoiler)

message 34: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 5866 comments I finished Torch yesterday, and thought about taking a break from this world, but I really want to know what happens. So, starting now.

message 35: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 5866 comments I just finished this one. My first thought is that there will be more in this series.
(view spoiler)

message 36: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Finished yesterday.

(view spoiler)

message 37: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Vicky wrote: "Oh. My. God. I finished this last night and the feels are so serious. I was so weepy eyed.

So, some thoughts.

Cook - I called that! [spoilers removed]

Keris - [spoilers removed]

Marcus - [spoil..."

You & Joanne (when she read the last book!) called it about Cook. (view spoiler)

message 38: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Suzanne wrote: "I finished it yesterday but didn't have time to comment. Let's see....
..."

Laia/Nightbringer - (view spoiler)

message 39: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Jenny wrote: "I just finished this one. My first thought is that there will be more in this series.
I had issues with this story. The Empire is disgusting. Like the worst of humanity. Oligarchy mixed with slav..."

(view spoiler)

message 40: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 404 comments I have been camping so just getting caught up on spoilers...

I am at chapter 44 now.

Agreed (view spoiler)

message 41: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Vicki Willis wrote: "I have been camping so just getting caught up on spoilers...

I am at chapter 44 now.

Agreed ..."

(view spoiler)

message 42: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3920 comments I'm through chapter 22. (view spoiler)

Anyone else notice that in the previous book Helene's POV chapters were titled with her name and in this book they are titled Blood Shrike?

message 43: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3920 comments Cathy M. wrote: "So far thru Chpt 6 -

Right off the bat think its interesting to show how Helene has evolved that her chapters are all listed as Blood Shrike rather than Helene. Her motivation now to keep Marcus h..."

I noticed the switch in her chapter titles, too.

Laia's invisibility (spoiler for previous books, not this one, but I'll spoiler it): (view spoiler)

message 44: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Laura wrote: "I'm through chapter 22. [spoilers removed]

Anyone else notice that in the previous book Helene's POV chapters were titled with her name and in this book they are titled Blood Shrike?"

Yea I noticed that too. (view spoiler)

message 45: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa | 1360 comments I've finally gotten to starting this book. So far I'm doing a lot of remembering what happened in the last book. I was very confused with the opening from the Nightbringer but then I remembered.

I'm maybe 4-5 chapters in and I'm struggling to get bak into the story. I really liked the previous book so I'm not sure if I'm just not in the mood or if it is the change in the story. I'll see as I continue reading.

message 46: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3920 comments Finished! And wow! So much happening. And so much still to come.

Elias - My heart breaks. (view spoiler)

Helene - Again, breaking my heart. (view spoiler)

Laia - (view spoiler)

message 47: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3920 comments Vicky wrote: "Oh. My. God. I finished this last night and the feels are so serious. I was so weepy eyed.

So, some thoughts.

Cook - I called that! [spoilers removed]

Keris - [spoilers removed]

Marcus - [spoil..."

I agree about Marcus! And possibly Keris, as well. I reserve final judgement until the next book.

message 48: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 404 comments I am at about 75% right now.
I am not finding this one as good as the other two. It is taking me a while to get through it, while the first two I flew through. I should finish up this weekend and will read your spoilers.

message 49: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa | 1360 comments So far I agree with you Vicki. This one is is hard for me to connect with. I'm not as far as you are and am hoping to finish it this weekend. I flew through the first books, but this one not so much. I keep wanting to pick up and read something else, I'm making myself not do so in the hopes that this one will become more engaging and I can at least read some of it before everyone else is finished.

message 50: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 404 comments Still trying to get to the end.
I don't know if I am just not in the mood or what, but the struggle is real.
I hope the last part grabs me. I can't wait to read your spoilers to see how you all felt about the end and the book as a whole.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Reaper at the Gates (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sabaa Tahir (other topics)