Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes, #2)
This topic is about A Torch Against the Night
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Tahir, Sabaa--A Torch Against the Night--informal buddy read starts June 25, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss A Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir.

width="300"/>

Synopsis
Elias and Laia are running for their lives. After the events of the Fourth Trial, Martial soldiers hunt the two fugitives as they flee the city of Serra and undertake a perilous journey through the heart of the Empire.

Laia is determined to break into Kauf—the Empire’s most secure and dangerous prison—to save her brother, who is the key to the Scholars’ survival. And Elias is determined to help Laia succeed, even if it means giving up his last chance at freedom.

But dark forces, human and otherworldly, work against Laia and Elias. The pair must fight every step of the way to outsmart their enemies: the bloodthirsty Emperor Marcus, the merciless Commandant, the sadistic Warden of Kauf, and, most heartbreaking of all, Helene—Elias’s former friend and the Empire’s newest Blood Shrike.

Bound to Marcus’s will, Helene faces a torturous mission of her own—one that might destroy her: find the traitor Elias Veturius and the Scholar slave who helped him escape…and kill them both.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 19, 2018 06:05PM) (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Laura | 3927 comments I’m in. Team Tom Riddle.

message 5: by Eldarwen (new) - added it

Eldarwen | 10460 comments Mod
I'll do my best to be here on time. (Severus Snape)

Vicky (librovert) | 2333 comments I'm actually already reading this - I'm about halfway through. I'll make some notes of things to mention once everyone else dives in, but for now I'll will say that I forgot how intense this book is!

I read them both back to back originally and re-reading Ember it was feeling a little slow and I was trying to remember what I really loved about the series. And then I started Torch and holy crap does it take off and keep running!

message 7: by Eldarwen (new) - added it

Uuuh that makes me excited to read it!!

The first one was a little slow but I enjoyed it a lot!

Joanne I'll be ready to start this one on the 25th. Team Draco Malfoy

Joanne A little late but I’ve started. Up to chapter VI: Laia

(view spoiler)

Laura | 3927 comments I'm so late getting to this one. Quidditch has destroyed my monthly reading plan! But I'm almost done with Ember, so I'll start listening to this one soon.

message 11: by Eldarwen (new) - added it

I haven't started this one yet either, still trying to finish up another BR book. Will try and get that one done as soon as possible, but will start this one latest over the weekend.

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments I'll be starting this one today - NEED to know what happens next! :)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments So I've gotten thru Chpt 11 -

(view spoiler)

message 14: by Cathy M. (last edited Jun 29, 2018 01:18AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Thru Chpt 29 -

(view spoiler)

message 15: by Eldarwen (new) - added it

Breathing through! haha :-)

I'm going to finish my current book tonight and launch into this one tomorrow! :-)

Jenny | 5879 comments Team Remus Lupin here. I think that the last Quidditch match scrambled my brain. I was all set to read Reaper at the Gates, when I realized I hadn't read this one yet. So, reading it this weekend. Mind if I join the discussion?

Laura | 3927 comments I should be starting today. I have about an hour left in Ember. The audios are quite well done.

Suzanne | 4268 comments I'm not going to re-read this because I just have so many buddy reads on my plate, BUT it is nice reading through the comments/spoilers to be reminded about key plot points.

One thing I noticed is that it took me a LOT longer than most of you to like the book at the start. I think it was my YA grumpiness - in fact I know it was. General spoiler for first couple chapters: (view spoiler)

Lol at least that was how I felt the first time when I read it, and I almost quit because I just wasn't in the mood. And then it destroyed all my negative ideas and became its own interesting story.

Suzanne | 4268 comments Laura - it is good to know the audios are well done. I'm trying audio for book 3 because I needed a new audio book, and it cost me the same for a credit vs. the kindle copy (my library doesn't have it).

message 20: by Eldarwen (new) - added it

I'm sorry guys, but I'm going to have to bow out of this one. I just realised that tomorrow is the 1st already and I have too many books coming up. I won't be able to keep up :-(

Enjoy!

Joanne Cathy M. wrote: "So I've gotten thru Chpt 11 -

So far I'm really enjoying this one! It has almost been non-stop right from the beginning. Didn't realize it would start immediately after where the 1st one ended bu..."

(view spoiler)

Joanne I'm finally ready to really dedicate myself to this one. Just finished Goblet of Fire last night.

Up to Chapter XIV: Helene

(view spoiler)

Laura | 3927 comments Chapter 11

(view spoiler)

Joanne Laura wrote: "Chapter 11

[spoilers removed]"

Ooooh I did not get that vibe, but that would be VERY interesting.

Joanne Up to Part II: North

(view spoiler)

Laura | 3927 comments Joanne, it’s his reaction to her, not her reaction to him.

Joanne Laura wrote: "Joanne, it’s his reaction to her, not her reaction to him."

(view spoiler)

message 28: by Ora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ora (oeamis) I started listening to it this morning. I really hate the Commandant more and more. When I don't think she can do anything worse than she already did, she proves me wrong.

I didn't think about that with Harper and Helene. I think it would be good for Helene to get over her attraction/love for Elias.

message 29: by Ora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ora (oeamis) I just finished listening to this one. I am really glad I listen to this one again before starting the next book. There were a few things I forgot and a couple things I got mixed up with another book with similar things happening in both books.

Completely forgot about who Keenan (sorry if any names are misspelled since I only have the audio) really is.
(view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Finished last night!

(view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Suzanne wrote: "I'm not going to re-read this because I just have so many buddy reads on my plate, BUT it is nice reading through the comments/spoilers to be reminded about key plot points.

One thing I noticed is..."

I had read before about the relationships so went in aware of them, which is probably why it didn't bother me as much :)

message 32: by Cathy M. (last edited Jul 01, 2018 09:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Laura wrote: "Chapter 11

[spoilers removed]"

I had the same thought! (view spoiler)

Suzanne | 4268 comments Lol I think the whole relationships bothers me in YA more or less depending on how much I've been around teenage girls who are doing the same thing :)

End of book spoiler (view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Ora wrote: "I just finished listening to this one. I am really glad I listen to this one again before starting the next book. There were a few things I forgot and a couple things I got mixed up with another bo..."

I need to check out the audio on this series!

(view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Sorry 1 more thought (for end) -

(view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Suzanne wrote: "Lol I think the whole relationships bothers me in YA more or less depending on how much I've been around teenage girls who are doing the same thing :)

End of book spoiler [spoilers removed]"

Very true! Or by how many other YA books you read before :)

Joanne Definitely plan to finish this one today but am currently up to Chapter 35. Just have to put down a major theory that I've had since the first book and this last chapter seems to go with:

(view spoiler)

Joanne Finished

(view spoiler)

Jenny | 5879 comments I meant to get to this this weekend, but I had to do other things. So, I am about a quarter of the way in, and remembering the first book more, the further I get into this one. Since everyone here has read the first one, this is not a spoiler----There are some really icky characters in this book. The Commandant, and the Snake, and a few others. I understand the need for there to be baddies, so the goodies have an arc, and a mountain to climb, but wow. I keep wanting to fast forward through the torture and plotting scenes to get to the nice people again, but then I remember I am not reading a cozy mystery.

I hope to finish by the morning, and perhaps then I may have a more cogent comment to make. And I will have read all of your comments. (I haven't read the spoilers yet).

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Joanne wrote: "Definitely plan to finish this one today but am currently up to Chapter 35. Just have to put down a major theory that I've had since the first book and this last chapter seems to go with:..."

Crazy theory! Would never have even considered that!!

(view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Joanne wrote: "Finished

..."

Hope you're able to get your copy for the 3rd book soon!!

Vicky (librovert) | 2333 comments Ora wrote: "Completely forgot about who Keenan (sorry if any names are misspelled since I only have the audio) really is."

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one! I was so mad at myself for forgetting since it's kind of a big deal, but it seems most people had forgotten about it!

Vicky (librovert) | 2333 comments @Cathy - About Harper and Elias (and Keris).

I think what's so interesting about Keris is that we don't know what's going on in her mind. Elias and Helene always talk about how Keris is the one who trained emotion out of them and I think that's important. I don't think anything we've seen from her has been completely sincere. Even though she says she hates Elias, I think she more hates the fact that her motherly instincts make her feel weak.

Jenny | 5879 comments Vicky wrote: "@Cathy - About Harper and Elias (and Keris).

I think what's so interesting about Keris is that we don't know what's going on in her mind. Elias and Helene always talk about how Keris is the one wh..."

That's interesting. I found her character boring. Evil without any inner conflict or outer emotion doesn't make for an interesting character. But, perhaps there is more there than has been written about so far.
Only a couple chapters left for me.

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Vicky wrote: "@Cathy - About Harper and Elias (and Keris).

I think what's so interesting about Keris is that we don't know what's going on in her mind. Elias and Helene always talk about how Keris is the one wh..."

That is true - we only see Keris from the outside, we don't REALLY know her. As much as I loathe her, would be interested in seeing things from her perspective. Just to see how she thinks, her motivations.

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Jenny wrote: "Vicky wrote: "@Cathy - About Harper and Elias (and Keris).

I think what's so interesting about Keris is that we don't know what's going on in her mind. Elias and Helene always talk about how Keris..."

That's the things about the masks though. They were taught to never show emotion or their emotions were beat out of them. So you don't get the whole picture just seeing her from the outside.

Jenny | 5879 comments Alright, I finished yesterday, and I can't decide whether to start the next book, or give myself a break. This one got to me. Maybe because there is so much evil crap happening in the real world right now, that the torture and genocide and disregard for the value of human (or any) life was just hitting too close to home.
That, and the fact that (view spoiler) made this a not so comfortable read.

(view spoiler)

Laura | 3927 comments I've got about 2 1/2 hours left. I can't believe I forgot about Keenan! Good thing I did a re-read before the next one! :)

Jenny | 5879 comments One other thing- (view spoiler)

Joanne Jenny wrote: "One other thing- [spoilers removed]"

Jenny, that is how I interpreted it.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Torch Against the Night (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sabaa Tahir (other topics)