Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Fates Divide (Carve the Mark, #2)
This topic is about The Fates Divide
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Roth, Veronica- The Fates Divide informal buddy read starts June 19, 2018

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss The Fates Divide by Veronica Roth.

Synopsis
Fate brought them together. Now it will divide them.

The lives of Cyra Noavek and Akos Kereseth are ruled by their fates, spoken by the oracles at their births. The fates, once determined, are inescapable.

Akos is in love with Cyra, in spite of his fate: He will die in service to Cyra’s family. And when Cyra’s father, Lazmet Noavek—a soulless tyrant, thought to be dead—reclaims the Shotet throne, Akos believes his end is closer than ever.

As Lazmet ignites a barbaric war, Cyra and Akos are desperate to stop him at any cost. For Cyra, that could mean taking the life of the man who may—or may not—be her father. For Akos, it could mean giving his own. In a stunning twist, the two will discover how fate defines their lives in ways most unexpected.

With the addition of two powerful new voices, Veronica Roth's sequel to Carve the Mark is a chorus of hope, humor, faith, and resilience.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Awesome! Thanks Mods!

I've been waiting to read this for quite a bit

(Team Tonks)

message 5: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) Yeah me too. Can't wait to get this started!

message 6: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) Ok so I read to Chapter 5

I am not sure how much you remember from the last book but I have totally forgot the ending though some parts are coming back to me. Anyway do you remember who Jorek is? Cause I have no idea.

(view spoiler)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Sorry Tahmina! I haven't started yet. I haven't had the time. I'll try to start tomorrow morning. I have so much house work to do though

Yeah it's been a while and I can't remember much from the end either. Only that they meet the Akos's mother.

message 8: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) Tina wrote: "Sorry Tahmina! I haven't started yet. I haven't had the time. I'll try to start tomorrow morning. I have so much house work to do though

Yeah it's been a while and I can't remember much from the e..."

Its ok let me know when you start this book for sure and then I will continue. I have a bunch of other books I am reading so I can focus on something else.

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments I'm ready now! I'll read a few chapters tonight.

Sorry about the wait but thank you for waiting!

message 10: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) Tina wrote: "I'm ready now! I'll read a few chapters tonight.

Sorry about the wait but thank you for waiting!"

No worries! And ok will start reading again

Robin | 28 comments ive also been reading this not knowing there was a buddy read going on and just happened to stumble across this so hiya! there were parts the first book i remember and liked but a lot of it dragged for me.

you definitely called that one, Tahmina (view spoiler)

i am about halfway through so i wont say much more until i know it is safe to and i am glad it is going a little faster.

message 12: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) Robin wrote: "ive also been reading this not knowing there was a buddy read going on and just happened to stumble across this so hiya! there were parts the first book i remember and liked but a lot of it dragged..."

OMG!!!! (view spoiler)

Now I can't wait till I go home to keep reading it.

message 13: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) Tina wrote: "I'm ready now! I'll read a few chapters tonight.

Sorry about the wait but thank you for waiting!"

Have you started this yet?

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Yes I started! I must have forgotten to update my progress. I’m up to chapter 5 now. Work is quite so I think I can read a few chapters before I finish. I’m still trying to remember everything from the last book though

message 15: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) Hey Tina,

This has a pretty good summary. Just found it myself! Let me know if this helps

http://www.bookseriesrecaps.com/what-...

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Tahmina wrote: "Hey Tina,

This has a pretty good summary. Just found it myself! Let me know if this helps

http://www.bookseriesrecaps.com/what-..."

That's really usefuly Tahmina! Thank you!

I'm up to chapter 19 and I'm still struggling. I am managing to only read 2-3 chapters a day before I have to stop. Every day I say, "Okay, I will finish it today". But nope.

I read Turtles All the Way Down this morning in one sitting, but I just can't with this book. I don't even know why.

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments How is everyone else going with this book? Has anyone finished yet?

message 18: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) Tina wrote: "How is everyone else going with this book? Has anyone finished yet?"

Ooo I was planning on catching up to you by tomorrow. We can take it slow. There's no hurry to finish at a certain time. I will get to 19 by tomorrow the latest but I so far have liked it so its been easy for me.

message 19: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) I just got to chapter 12 today! And I can see where you are struggling Tina and to be honest with you i just feel like its super slow and nothing is really happening. And all these million viewpoints are starting to get a bit excessive. :( I hope it starts to pick up but I can tell that until Chapter 19 it wont. I will read until 19 in a bit but I though first let me get some thoughts in here.

Cyra and Akos: I really liked them in the first book but in this so far its a bit bland. Its just them psycho analyzing each other. And is it just me or does Akos just not seem a bit interested in his family. Like I understand that he feels his mom should have done more but still. And his mother is just prickly ....

And I have this feelings that Ori somehow transferred a part of herself into Eijeh. If I am right I guessed two major twist in the plot because she keeps giving so many hints to it. Anyway will be back to give updates until chapter 19

Robin | 28 comments the first book took me two whole weeks to read. the second book i read much faster so i guess it was a lil more interesting, but i also found both books from this series to be really slow moving even with all the action packed into the second book and could only read a few chapters at a time, too. while i thought certain concepts were interesting i definitely didn't find this series to be as captivating as the divergent series.

message 21: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) Robin wrote: "the first book took me two whole weeks to read. the second book i read much faster so i guess it was a lil more interesting, but i also found both books from this series to be really slow moving ev..."

Yes I think her ideas are great. Even divergent started out super strong but the time you get to book three, it gets worse. :(

Robin | 28 comments so true. i absolutely loved divergent and insurgent and all the shorter stories about four. i so looked forward to allegiant coming out for the longest time and was SO disappointed after reading it (and not just because of the ending - i really didn't like much about the entire book). it was such a letdown and probably why i waited to get these from the library.

message 23: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) Robin wrote: "so true. i absolutely loved divergent and insurgent and all the shorter stories about four. i so looked forward to allegiant coming out for the longest time and was SO disappointed after reading it..."

Yes!! I did the same. And again super great idea but just not the best story telling. And I agree. First book was amazing ( Like I LOVED IT) second book was really really good until the very end and then I was like huh??? and third book just depressingly bad. And yeah the ending was horrible and just plain stupid but it wasn't what made the book bad.

And as for this book I've now read to part 2 (view spoiler)

Robin | 28 comments totally agree with everything you wrote, Tahmina! i just didn't want to say anything too spoilery. i had to read ahead because it was a library book and due back but yah the part you spoiler cut seemed weird to me, too. there were a lot of things about this story that seemed illogical.

message 25: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) Ok well hopefully me and Tina will be done with this soon so we can talk about spoilers

Robin | 28 comments i only finished a couple days ago so not super-far ahead and sounds good to me! :)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments I agree with everything you two have said!!

I was contemplating whether it would be worth reading the Divergent series for a while. But I'm going to give it a pass now. I'm sort of tired of being let down by books hyped up by other people. Especially for young adults.

I'm still reading the book slowly. It's been quite at work so I can manage to get a few chapters in each shift. I'm up to Chapter 38: Cyra.

I'm more interested in it now. I'm not getting sleepy or bored after reading it anymore. Yay!
I don't really see Cisi's importance or relevance in the book. She's practically just a stress relief to Isi

Tahmina - I definitely agree that Akos doesn't seem that interested in his family much. I can understand why now though. The only time I liked his mum was when she taught him to make the pain relief thing.

And your thoughts on Ori somehow transferred a part of herself into Eijeh, I didn't think of that! It would be hard to be in his head. He has himself, Ryzek and the Oracle in him. I'm glad his mum is with him though.

I'll try to finish part 3 tonight. Then part 4 and hopefuly 5, by Tuesday!

message 28: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) I just finished part two myself and hoping to finish three tonight. So we might actually be in the same spot which is nice. Anyway so far Cisi is really just there for Isae and to be honest not doing a great job.

I thought it was kind of cool though that both of the fates had been fulfilled already. Which is interesting. Again the conflict between them stupid but it was sort of sad to see Cyra accepting her abandonment so easily.

@Tina ... how can you understand Akos' behavior? What makes you think its acceptable? (not in a confrontational way just asking because I might have missed something)

I can understand Cyra's feelings toward her family and now her real family. But I can't understand his. Because they were very good to him.

The two chapters I've read about Eijeh and from his perspective makes me think i was wrong Tina. It seems like it was Rezek. But I feel like Ori did something and we won't be able to see that twist until later on.... so i guess we have to stay tuned or am I am completely wrong haha.

Robin | 28 comments i was glad when it was revealed that both their fates had been fulfilled too since so much was weighing over what they had thought to be their fates before learning the truth. i guess akos still felt betrayed and that was part of why he acted the way he did.

as a sidenote i thought the divergent series was much better/ faster-paced/ more interesting. i really enjoyed the first two books and even reread them prior to the last book's release, and while i would still recommend reading the series, the last book of the series was a big letdown for me. after reading others reviews, i saw that a lot of people agreed with me, yet some people didn't have the same issues i had with it so i guess it is just a matter of opinion really.

message 30: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) Robin wrote: "i was glad when it was revealed that both their fates had been fulfilled too since so much was weighing over what they had thought to be their fates before learning the truth. i guess akos still fe..."

Yes I can understand Akos acting the way he did. I don't know if I would ever really want to talk to Cyra again anyway, so so far I don't blame him.

And your side note I agree with you completely. I actually love the first book and the movie and I have read and seen them numerous times. More than I can count. I just can't deal with the last book and I haven't seen the last movie yet. And I think most people were upset with the ending. And I get it, I would have liked a better ending too but I think the whole book was problematic.

Robin | 28 comments And I get it, I would have liked a better ending too but I think the whole book was problematic.

exactly. same here for both the book and movie for the first two. it wasn't just the way the series ended - i could have accepted that ending if certain things didn't happen the way it did. i disliked pretty much the entire book for numerous reasons.

message 32: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) So I have read to chapter 36 last night still a bit boring. To be honest has not really picked up for me but I am getting through 4 chapters a sitting so not bad.

Akos(view spoiler)

Cyra (view spoiler)

Ast (view spoiler)

Isae(view spoiler)

Eijeh(view spoiler)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments I can understand (but don't agree with) Akos' behaviour considering how difficult it is would be to have an oracle for a mother. I think he's upset that Sifa didn't tell Akos about their family being attacked by the Shotet to be the hardest thing to deal with. I feel like she's a bit shifty and not really there for Akos after he gets out of Shotet (first book). But, maybe it's just Akos' way of viewing his mother that was distorted after being in Shotet for so long.
And Eijeh is now a complicated man. Half Eijeh and half Ryzek... I wouldn't say that Eijeh is 100% my brother. But it would be so tiring to have another person in my mind and being an oracle, and have to distinguish between all voices.
Cisi I think he's on the best terms with, so no issues there.

And then the fates being revealed, knowing what they found out... I thought he'd come to grips with his family and Cyra's family eventually.

I did finish the book this today! I don't this this book ended strongly. It was not very gripping for me. Some parts of the book I liked - Cyra and her currentshadows, Akos and his flowers.

I did not like Isae at all. Cisi was just meh. I agree with what you've said about the characters, Tahmina. This book definitely could have been better. I am let down by this book as I did enjoy the first one.

message 34: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) Tina wrote: "I can understand (but don't agree with) Akos' behaviour considering how difficult it is would be to have an oracle for a mother. I think he's upset that Sifa didn't tell Akos about their family bei..."

Ok yeah I would be pissed if my mom let that happen to me. It just feels like she saved herself. And when you find out that your mom switched you at birth and basically taught you certain things in order to help her biological daughter is got to be weird. Cause at that point is she helping him or Cyra. Though she let her husband and kids get kidnapped it takes a lot of control or heartlessness to let that happen.

I liked Cyra currentshadows and Akos flowers too!

Isae was an asshole. Pardon my language. And Cisi was manipulative. I don't care what you think of her what she was doing was exactly how she felt of the oracles

message 35: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) Ok I just finished. And yes you're right. It was a let down. Part four was better and I actually wanted to read through it. But maybe it was because I just wanted it done.

None of the characters really changed and it was just bad. All of Lezmets top aides were on Akos's side which I find hard to believe. And Lezmet was just dumb. Especially when both sons betrayed him, he was somehow dumb enough to let this happen again. Especially when his families whole existence is in the believe that you don't trust family and you kill them. Anyway I haven't changed my mind in of what i said earlier. The relationship between all characters were horrible and just depressing or manipulative. It was just a horrible situation.

I thought the first was ok but this one was just bad and I really wanted to like it

message 36: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) Robin wrote: "And I get it, I would have liked a better ending too but I think the whole book was problematic.

exactly. same here for both the book and movie for the first two. it wasn't just the way the serie..."

I pretty much disliked this book for numerous reasons as well :(

Robin | 28 comments yes Akos's whole plan or lack thereof didn't make a ton of sense to me either. he just thought he was going to walk in, take care of business, and no one was going to stop him? yah right. nor did the cyra leading a bunch of exiles who didn't even like her. i still thought the whole switching for their own good thing was horrible, too. i dont know if there were too many/ too many perspectives or what, but i didn't really feel a strong connection to most of the characters. at least things ended more positively than they were going throughout the book.

message 38: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) Robin wrote: "yes Akos's whole plan or lack thereof didn't make a ton of sense to me either. he just thought he was going to walk in, take care of business, and no one was going to stop him? yah right. nor did t..."

Yeah I didn't feel a real connection to anyone either. And the ending was more positive than the story for sure. But it still left so many things unresolved. Like no one got any closure about anything. And like I said earlier, all the relationships people had with each other were just the worst and felt super toxic and manipulative. I don't know it might just be me. I like a good ending with no loose ends and this one left me with so many different questions.

Robin | 28 comments nope not just you, Tahmina. i felt that way, too, about most of what you wrote. everyone was manipulative and while a few things did seem to be wrapped up so much seemed unanswered. i hate that, too. i don't want to be left wondering about lots of unanswered loose ends or to make my own determinations about what happened.

message 40: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) Robin wrote: "nope not just you, Tahmina. i felt that way, too, about most of what you wrote. everyone was manipulative and while a few things did seem to be wrapped up so much seemed unanswered. i hate that, to..."

Yes! I know some people like an open-ended ending but I hate it. I spent so much time reading this giving me an ending!!

Robin | 28 comments exactly!!!!! :)

message 42: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) Well it was good doing this buddy read with you!!! We should totally do another one robin and Tina!

Robin | 28 comments i enjoyed it, too, and would definitely love that! :)