Children's Books discussion

Intros, Group Business, & Chat > How to get Recommendations, and other tips for using GoodReads.

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl , Newbery Club host (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 6849 comments Mod
Welcome!!

Dahlia ♥ Eliza asked a good question in the Intros thread (https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...). She wanted to know how to ask for Recommendations. I answered:

We do have a lot of themed topics in the Picture-Book club, the Miscellaneous Club, and the Group Bookshelf. You can certainly browse through those. We also casually recommend books to each other regularly. However, we do not currently have a specific folder for specific recommendation requests.

You could try asking in some of the other folders:

For example, if your interest is in Themes, Topics, or Categories, perhaps something like "new books about imaginary friends," you could try creating a thread here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

Or you could use the Specific Books & Authors thread if you want, for example, "more books like The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend: "https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

Or if you have in mind Books for Specific Age-Groups, for example "Picture-books for a creative five-year old with a terrific imagination," try here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 2: by Cheryl , Newbery Club host (new)

Further, I added:

One tip: the more specific key words and the more information you give, both in the subject and in the first post, the more likely you'll get 1. more and 2. better suggestions.

Know that beyond this group, toward the GoodReads community at large, there are other resources. Under the browse tab at the top of this (and every, iirc) page are clickable links to 1. Recommendations and to 2. Lists (aka Listopia). And on many book pages there are also 3. "Readers Also Enjoyed" (which is both scroll-able and clickable.)

4. Following active readers of the kinds of books that you're interested in, and 5. making friends with them will also make your to-read list longer (and more diverse; my earlier suggestions would work better if you're looking for very specific recommendations).

message 3: by Cheryl , Newbery Club host (new)

And:

GoodReads is in the business of getting people to read (and buy!) more books. And they're good at it. :) There are even other ways to use GR, too, that have contributed to my to-read lists. Most of us who have been around awhile have to-read lists longer than our expected life spans.

But in a Children's group, we have to remember that children need certain books at specific times, and that laying long lists of 'someday I want to read this' books on them isn't always helpful. I'll discuss with the other mods if we want to have a special folder for Recommendations, or possibly rename the existing folders, or something else....

Thanks for a good question!

message 4: by Cheryl , Newbery Club host (new)

What advice do you have to help new members get the most of GoodReads, and especially out of this Children's Books group?

message 5: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 8838 comments Mod
When I originally joined GR, making friends (mostly in the groups I had joined) got me quite a lot of both good discussions and book recommendations.

message 6: by Cheryl , Newbery Club host (new)

Please, folks, try to use the "add book/author" feature to add links to your comments! I realize that it hasn't been available on the app, but you can go to the PC view even on mobile devices. If it's really too challenging to do so, ok, but your contributions are worth so much more to the group if we can readily check what author or book you're pointing us to.

At least be sure to use caps and good spelling, especially for common titles or authors. Comments like "I liked wishing it was a great story" aren't nearly as helpful as "I liked Wishing by Smith because it was a great story."

Thank you!!

message 7: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 2601 comments Mod
Cheryl wrote: "Please, folks, try to use the "add book/author" feature to add links to your comments! I realize that it hasn't been available on the app, but you can go to the PC view even on mobile devices. If i..."

Hear! Hear! (or is it Here! Here!)

message 8: by Manybooks (last edited Aug 24, 2018 11:54PM) (new)

Manybooks | 8838 comments Mod
Cheryl wrote: "Please, folks, try to use the "add book/author" feature to add links to your comments! I realize that it hasn't been available on the app, but you can go to the PC view even on mobile devices. If i..."

And I would also like to point out that I for one find it hard on my eyes if only the book cover is listed and not both the book cover and the title (and in fact, I would much rather have the title of the book than the book cover, as it gives much more information). Yes, I know that we can mouse over the book cover in order for the title to appear, but that does not really work if one is using a tablet.

message 9: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (last edited Aug 25, 2018 02:55PM) (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 2601 comments Mod
That is why I started making a habit of using both the link and the cover. Doesn't take that long to do, at least, on a computer; I don't know about a tablet.