Start by marking “The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend

The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  10,785 ratings  ·  2,307 reviews
This magical story begins on an island far away where an imaginary friend is born. He patiently waits his turn to be chosen by a real child, but when he is overlooked time and again, he sets off on an incredible journey to the bustling city, where he finally meets his perfect match and-at long last-is given his special name: Beekle.

New York Times bestselling and
Published April 8th 2014 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published April 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Beekle, please sign up.
Dan Santat I love this. I love Dan Santat. I also love kids.…moreI love this. I love Dan Santat. I also love kids. (less)

·  10,785 ratings  ·  2,307 reviews

Start your review of The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend
Mischenko
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend by Dan Santat is a cute story about an unimaginary friend and his search for a child.

This is a super simple read great for young or new readers with about one hand-written sentence per page. The story is interesting and the illustrations are done with pencil, crayons, paint and more which makes the book extremely vibrant.

It's no wonder this was the 2015 Caldecott Medal winner.

4****
Rachel Reads Ravenously
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Okay, little known fact about me: I read children's picture books. Mostly when I'm at work at the library, but I do read them.

This book, is SPECIAL

Beekle is the story of an imaginary friend who goes off in search of his human child and his adventures along the way.

I LOVE THIS BOOK. And you will too. So to my Goodreads friends who have children, I highly recommend this book. It's a keeper.
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
Beekle is full of color, humor, and artistic illustrations. It’s a tail featuring what an imaginary friend feels; before he’s imagined. It’s adorable and it encourages children to reach out to someone different, someone new.

As for it being for children. Young kids may miss the subtle connections; between the imaginary world and the real one. It feels more like a picture book for adults who want to reflect on their childhood rather then for children. My son, who is 6, liked it, but wasn’t fully
Calista
Delighted. Each page and idea delighted and enchanted me. I love this book about Beekle. I think Caldecott really got it right this year.

I love how it starts off in a land of imagination with hyper colors and the stars deliver them to where they need to be. Beekle isn't chosen so they set off to the real world to find someone. This land is gray and brown and not as colorful. I love how he shows all the things adults do are like children. Adults nap on the subway - this tickled me to no end. Any
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

I know I’ve said this before, but I love stories about imaginary friends. They’ve always captured my attention and imagination because I've never ever had one. All my brothers and sisters had imaginary friends, but nope! Not me. *pouts*

Beekle, an adorable white marshmallow-puff of a little guy with a crown, is an imaginary friend. He lives in a faraway land where imaginary friends dream and wait. Wait and wait to be imagined by boys and girls. But what happens if no one comes for Beekle? What
Kyle
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
This children's book is so goddamn adorable. I walked into a heavily populated NYC bookstore, went right up to the counter of the children's section, and announced to the clerk (and the entire store, of course), my intent of purchasing this kid's book as a grown man with no children of his own.

I don't care that people stared or maybe passed judgment on the adult with the five-o'clock-shadow, who was bouncing with eagerness at the prospect of joining in Beekle's adventure.

This is one of the
Amy Yingling
This is one of the best children’s picture books I’ve read ever. Gorgeous illustrations and an inspiring story of friendship! You won’t regret reading this one to your little ones.
Manybooks
Now I realise that Dan Santat's The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend won the Caldecott Medal, and that judging from the for the most part very positive reviews, many readers do seem to really really love the illustrations (that they are considered expressive, imaginative and even rather magical). However and all that having been said, I for one have not at ALL enjoyed either the illustrations (their Caldecott Medal designation notwithstanding) or the accompanying text, the presented ...more
Samantha
So so so so so soooooooo good! Beekle is an imaginary friend, born in the land of imaginary creatures, but he's restless for his friend. He's tired of waiting to be dreamed up by a child so he sets off on a quest in the real world to find his friend.

Text has the perfect tone for the subject. The story is told through the foreign eyes of Beekle and his observations about the real world are full of humor. The origin of his friendship is incredibly heartwarming and illustrated to perfection in
paula
Optimism, positivity, taking action, facing fears, venturing into the unknown.

In other words, everything you want in a book for children. Or - everything you want as long as what you also want is charm and gorgeousness and soul. Beekle feels like Dan Santat opening up his grown-up boy heart, his dad heart, his maybe-a-little-bit-misunderstood artist heart (he was supposed to be a doctor after all) and pulling out the pale little blobby wad of resolve and courage that has lit his path. We should
Angela Scott
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK! It's a great imagination discussion starter and the creativity of it is out of this world.
Allison Davis
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was a fantasy about an imaginary friend who awaits his own friend on an island. When he is unnoticed for far too long he wanders off across the sea and into a big new city to find his real friend -- where they meet, and have adventures, share snacks and jokes with one another. The target audience for this book would be aimed towards primary grade levels, (K-3rd). I believe it is still a relevant time for some students to possibly have imaginary friends of their own, or to create ...more
Lily
The gym that I go to is having a book fair, and I was staring longingly at the merchandise for the entire time that I was working out today. (How I miss going to book fairs!) Afterwards, I just had to see what was inside this book, because the little guy on the cover looks just like an Adipose. This story plays with the idea of what imaginary friends are doing when they're not "on call", which reminded me of another excellent children's book that I read recently, Crenshaw. Whereas Crenshaw was a ...more
Michele Knott
Dan Santat continues to amaze me. He is a brilliant children's book artist. I could look at his illustrations for hours. This book, may be his best artwork to date. The illustrations in this book are amazing. Your eyes keep searching and trying to remember all of the patterns and colors he uses. But then, there is also this heart wrenching story. We meet Beekle, who is waiting to be someone's friend. He sees all of his other imaginary friends that have been imagined by a real child and they are ...more
Carmen
Nov 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Children; Parents
This was just okay.

There is a land of imaginary friends. In this land lives white-blob-looking-thing-that-wears-a-crown-for-some-reason. Tons of its friends get picked/invented by children and leave to go live in the real world with their child-friend. However, nobody chooses white-blob-looking-thing-that-wears-a-crown-for-some-reason.

So the thing goes on some adventures in imagination land. And then somehow makes it to the real world, where it is grey and boring. But then
Beth
Beekle is from an island far away where imaginary friends are born. Every night he waits for his special child to come and snatch him up as her friend, but sadly, that night never comes. Beekle is impatient to find his unimaginary friend so rather than wait his turn, he sets out on a quest to find his special child.

After I finished The Adventures of Beekle, I just had to sit and let it linger for a while before I could do anything else. The illustrations are bright and vibrant and the story will
The Styling Librarian
The Adventures of Beekle, The Unimaginary Friend by Dan Santat – upon finishing this book, my son and I immediately reread it. We couldn’t get enough of the end papers, chatted about whether we preferred the hard cover or sleeve more for the design, talked about friendship, and chatted about imaginary friends. I loved finding a new book that once again leads me to talking about being brave and taking risks! Highly recommend hopping up, running to the store, and purchasing a copy of this ...more
NiteReader
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Beautiful illustrations, disappointing story.
Jim Erekson
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picturebooks
Eh. Santat had a good time making a raft of imaginary friends, all of whom were creatures instead of people. The little marshmallowy, pokemonny main character can't wait around for someone to imagine him. This is a fun concept, but the story itself has little to it other than that concept. An uneventful and fairly boring search ends just right. Eh.

Santat's sensibility for how to compose a double-page spread is very good--it was especially interesting to see some of what he did with contrast in
Zaz
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A cute and moving story about a poor little imaginary friend who can't find a kid to adopt him. I liked the story and the challenging premise (I don't meet often books with imaginary friends, it seems it's an unknown territory for most grown-ups). The main character was cute and also brave, and his adventure was beautifully drawn. The colors and several pages were gorgeous and I liked the care put in designing a good variety of imaginary creatures, with different shapes and colors.
David Schaafsma
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
I liked this quite a bit. I like the story better than the art.. but maybe that is because the central creature is depicted as something less than truly fabulously "imaginative," but in fact "unimaginary." My family liked this as one of the best of the year.
Kellee Moye
I loved Beekle before I even knew him (I mean, who couldn't love him by just looking at that cover), but I love him even more now that I know his story. He is imagination. He is friendship. He is special.

Read to Trent for the first time 1-17-16.
Jessica
Oct 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The pictures are gorgeous, and the story could not be more sweet and charming. As an adult, I loved this book. But for whatever reason, not ONE of my three kids would sit still and listen to me read this. I lost all of them after a couple of pages.
Kate
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A really cute book written from the perspective of the imaginary friend as it waits to be picked to be a child’s imaginary friend.
Sarah Darkwood
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All my nieces and nephews will be seeing this book on their shelves eventually. It's going on mine too!
Donalyn
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Rich, playful illustrations and a touching story. Kids will love Beekle and his quest for a friend.
Kayla Edwards
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A cute story about finding a friend. Adorable with beautiful artwork!
Mississippi Library Commission
We're giving 2015 Caldecott winner Beekle five shiny, golden stars, and we'd give even more if we could. Santat's illustrations are sweet and charming; they harmonize perfectly with Beekle's story. And the story! Such simple, strong messages about friendship and imagination and perseverance--lovely from beginning to end. We guarantee that this one will end up in your bedtime reading pile night after night after night after night...
Margie
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
His newest book, different from the others, which he both wrote and pictured, The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend (Little, Brown and Company) came out two days ago. It's already left a huge print on my heart. It's a love letter; perhaps to his eldest son for whom the book is dedicated or to all those seeking their most remembered friend.

My full review: http://bit.ly/1gc7mtf
pati
If I could give this book six stars I would, it is that good. The artwork is wonderful, the story is just the kind of story a little kid can understand. Beekle is my new imaginary friend!

2015 Caldecott Medal Winner