Into the Forest discussion

71 views
Previous Group Read Nominations > July-Aug Group Read Nomination Thread

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1390 comments Mod
It's that time folks. We are not doing a theme for July/Aug either. Each person can nominate three books.

1. Adult book that is either a retelling or influenced by fairy tales/legends/myth

2. One YA/children's book either a retelling or influenced by fairy tales/myths/legends.

3. A collection of fairy tales/myths/legends/folklore


message 2: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 3763 comments Mod
Adult: What Should Be Wild by Julia Fine

Young Adult: The Epic Crush of Genie Lo by F.C. Yee

Collection: Going for The Green Fairy Book by Andrew Lang again.


message 3: by Elvir (new)

Elvir Belardi (elvirreads) | 2 comments 1. Adult Fantasy Retelling: Thomas the Rhymer by Ellen Kushner

2. YA retelling: The Shadow Behind the Stars by Rebecca Hahn

3. Fairytale Collection: Harrowing the Dragon by Patricia A. McKillip


message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 949 comments YA: Mighty Jack/Mighty Jack and the Goblin King by Ben Hatke

I list them both because they really are a single work cut in half.

Collection: Italian Popular Tales by Thomas Frederick Crane


message 5: by M.E. (new)

M.E. 1. Adult: Faerie Tale by Raymond E. Feist Faerie Tale by Raymond Feist

3. Fairytale Collection: Japanese Fairy Tales by Yei Theodora Ozaki Japanese Fairy Tales by Yei Theodora Ozaki


message 6: by Suki (last edited Jun 17, 2018 02:02AM) (new)

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 25 comments 1. Adult: The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories by Angela Carter The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories by Angela Carter

2. YA/Childrens: The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Fairyland, #1) by Catherynne M. Valente The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M Valente

3. Fairy Tale Collection: The Complete Fairy Tales by Charles Perrault The Complete Fairy Tales by Charles Perrault, illustrated by Gustave Doré


message 7: by M.E. (new)

M.E. I'll second The Complete Fairy Tales.

That looks like it would pair really well with The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories too. Nice nomination Suki!


message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Souers Chevraux (heritagewitch) I'm new to the group, so I'm not sure if these suggestions have been featured in other group-reads, but here are some on my current list that I'd love to read and discuss with others:

1. The Wild Girl, Kate Forsyth
2. Wildwood, Colin Meloy
3. The Norse Myths, Neil Gaiman


message 9: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1390 comments Mod
FYI - the Perrault tales are readily availble online, for free, though some editions will not include the illustrations.


message 10: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 3763 comments Mod
Jennifer wrote: "I'm new to the group, so I'm not sure if these suggestions have been featured in other group-reads, but here are some on my current list that I'd love to read and discuss with others:

1. The Wild ..."


We did group reads on both Wildwood and The Norse Myths. However, we haven't read The Wild Girl so you can still nominate that! I definitely want to read that one; I have it on my bookshelf.

You can always participate in old group discussions too. Here are the ones for Wildwood and The Norse Myths:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...


message 11: by Leah (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments How long do we have to submit our noms?


message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1390 comments Mod
Until the end of the weekend.


message 13: by Jalilah (last edited Jun 22, 2018 12:35PM) (new)

Jalilah | 4536 comments Mod
I will nominate The Wind in His Heart the latest novel by Charles de Lint for the adult novel.

For YA I'll nominate Son of a Trickster by Eden Robinson

For Original Tales I second The Green Fairy Book


message 14: by Leah (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments Adult: Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Young Adult: Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse

Collection: Going to second Mary's nom again Italian Popular Tales by Thomas Frederick Crane


message 15: by Asaria (last edited Jun 22, 2018 10:08AM) (new)

Asaria | 680 comments Adult: Doruntine by Ismail Kadare

YA: Chalice by Robin McKinley

Collection: I second Suki's nomination - The Complete Fairy Tales by Charles Perrault.


message 16: by Leah (last edited Jun 22, 2018 10:23AM) (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments Elvir wrote: "1. Adult Fantasy Retelling: Thomas the Rhymer by Ellen Kushner

2. YA retelling: The Shadow Behind the Stars by Rebecca Hahn

3. Fairytale Collection: Harrowing the Dragon by Patricia A. McKillip"


Elvir, it looks like we've already had a group read for Thomas the Rhymer by Ellen Kushner. So you can nominate a different book for the Adult category if you'd like.

Also feel free to visit those threads to restart the discussion. The moderators don't close old threads so you can comment anytime.

Spoilers thread:https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

No Spoilers thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...


message 17: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 4536 comments Mod
Leah wrote: "Elvir wrote: "1. Adult Fantasy Retelling: Thomas the Rhymer by Ellen Kushner

2. YA retelling: The Shadow Behind the Stars by Rebecca Hahn

3. Fairytale Collection: Harrowing the Dragon by Patricia..."


Yes Thomas the Rhymer was a group read a long time ago. I looked on the thread and there was not much participation. Many of the active group members had not joined yet.
I would say we could still nominate, but of course it's up to Chris as the group founder to decide.


message 18: by Jalilah (last edited Jun 22, 2018 12:38PM) (new)

Jalilah | 4536 comments Mod
Please note I changed my Adult book nomination to The Wind in His Heart


message 19: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 3763 comments Mod
Leah wrote: "Young Adult: Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse."

I've been hearing good things about that one!


message 20: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey | 84 comments Margaret wrote: "Leah wrote: "Young Adult: Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse."

I've been hearing good things about that one!"


I've been hearing good things about Trail of Lightning too, but I thought it was an adult book? I see some people have shelved it as YA here on Goodreads, but that seems to happen to some extent with every hyped new SFF book, especially if the author is female...


message 21: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 286 comments Margaret wrote: "Leah wrote: "Young Adult: Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse."

I've been hearing good things about that one!"


I am willing to give Trail of Lightning a chance, but I also thought it was adult.


message 22: by Leah (last edited Jun 22, 2018 02:32PM) (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments Kelsey wrote: "I've been hearing good things about Trail of Lightning too, but I thought it was an adult book? I see some people have shelved it as YA here on Goodreads, but that seems to happen to some extent with every hyped new SFF book, especially if the author is female..."

Yeah, that's how it was shelved here on GR, but reading around on the web just now, it does seem like it's written as adult UF. If that's the consensus, then I'll redo my noms as follows:

Adult: Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse

Young Adult: Tithe by Holly Black

Collection: Going to second Mary's nom again Italian Popular Tales by Thomas Frederick Crane


message 23: by Leah (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments Lila wrote: "Yes Thomas the Rhymer was a group read a long time ago. I looked on the thread and there was not much participation. Many of the active group members had not joined yet. I would say we could still nominate, but of course it's up to Chris as the group founder to decide."

My apologies!

I see in other threads for previous group read nominations that both Melanti and Chris said they wouldn't mind it being nominated again.


message 24: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 3763 comments Mod
I also was under the impression Trail of Lightning was adult, but like Leah, when I saw it shelved as YA, figured I was wrong. I just checked Edel and the publisher is listing it as adult.


message 25: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 3763 comments Mod
Kelsey wrote: "but that seems to happen to some extent with every hyped new SFF book, especially if the author is female...
"


Isn't that so annoying? I've had multiple people assume I write for children or YA. Which I do a little, but that's not everything, and they're only assuming that based on ... me being a woman? I guess?


message 26: by Asaria (last edited Jun 23, 2018 07:38AM) (new)

Asaria | 680 comments Margaret wrote: "Kelsey wrote: "but that seems to happen to some extent with every hyped new SFF book, especially if the author is female...
"

Isn't that so annoying? I've had multiple people assume I write for c..."

Well, here people often assume that woman=romance subplot in the book.

There was a case of Anna Brzezińska, who wrote fantasy saga about robber Twardokęsek (Tvar-doh-ken-sek) in a very masculine voice. It was done so well that she fooled the readers and critics into thinking she was a man writing under female pen name. Many couldn't believe their eyes, when they met her in person for the first time, or so I read.


message 27: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 3763 comments Mod
Asaria wrote: "Well, here people often assume that woman=romance subplot in the book.
There was also a case of Anna Brzezińska, who wrote fantasy saga about robber Twardokęsek (Tvar-doh-ken-sek) in a very masculine voice. It was done so well that she fooled the readers and critics into thinking she was a man writing under female pen name. Many couldn't believe their eyes, when they met her in person for the first time, or so I read."


Ha. Good for her.


message 28: by Jalilah (new)


message 29: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1390 comments Mod
Thanks Lila. I knew there was something I forgot to do.


back to top