Children's Books discussion

Themes, Topics & Categories > Recent picture-books with repetition, rhythm, rhyme, or...

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl , Newbery Club host (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 6846 comments Mod
What's been published recently, let's say since 2010, that calls for the child to chime in on the chorus, or memorize the cumulation, or predict the rhyme? These kinds of books used to be so common that now we have the wonderful Mac Barnett doing a terrific send-up of them with Guess Again!.

I'm thinking We're Going on a Bear Hunt or The House That Jack Built. These books, and nursery rhymes, are very helpful to children learning pre-reading skills, and they're fun to read & to listen to, so children have a chance to memorize them even as their caregivers are willing to read them over & over.

What do you know qualifies?

message 2: by Cheryl , Newbery Club host (new)

I forget: Does Oh, No! by Candace Fleming work?
Oh, No! by Candace Fleming

message 3: by Inez (new)

Inez Two British ones:
Jack and the Flum Flum Tree This is a lesser known Julia Donaldson book that is rhyming and has a catchy funny chorus.
There is an Ouch in My Pouch! This one is very lyrical with lots of alliteration and rhyme.

message 4: by Cheryl , Newbery Club host (new)

The second is actually a bit older, but recent enough considering how fun it looks to be! Thanks!

message 5: by Inez (new)

Inez Cheryl wrote: "The second is actually a bit older, but recent enough considering how fun it looks to be! Thanks!"
Yes just realised it's older than 2010 but is such a fun read!
Two other British ones:
Claire Freedman series with Underpants in the title are fun rhyming ones too.
A really good cumulative one is I Love You, Blue Kangaroo!.
All favourites in our house.

message 6: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Ball | 9 comments Definitely the books by Claire Freedman. Very catchy and lots of fun!

message 7: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 2265 comments Can't Scare Me!: with audio recording uses rhyming text and music lyrics to help kids learn to read. Kids will be able to guess what word comes next and learn the "lyrics" to the boy's song by repetition. Does that count for this topic?

message 8: by Cheryl , Newbery Club host (new)

QNPoohBear wrote: "Can't Scare Me!: with audio recording uses rhyming text and music lyrics to help kids learn to read. Kids will be able to guess what word comes next and learn the "lyrics" to the bo..."

That does sound like fun, and the sort of thing that, it seems to me, isn't published so much anymore. I see more straightforward narration, and wordless or near-wordless books... good to know there are still shiny new books with the traditional techniques.

message 9: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Ball | 9 comments QNPoohBear wrote: "Can't Scare Me!: with audio recording uses rhyming text and music lyrics to help kids learn to read. Kids will be able to guess what word comes next and learn the "lyrics" to the bo..."

That sounds great. Isn't it great when the rhyming technique helps with learning? Lovely feeling when children know what is coming next and how proud of themselves they can feel.

message 10: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 8813 comments Mod
Have had to delete yet another self promotional post. Please note that the group rules clearly state that promoting your own books is only allowed in the author/promotional section.