Start by marking “I Love You, Blue Kangaroo!” as Want to Read:

(Blue Kangaroo #1)

When Blue Kangaroo feels misplaced by Lily's new toys, he wonders if she would even notice if he were gone? A heartwarming and comforting tale of sibling rivalry, loyalty, and lasting love, I Love You Blue Kangaroo is a Child Magazine Best Kids' Book of the Year.
Published January 9th 2001 by Dragonfly Books (first published August 20th 1998)

Start your review of I Love You, Blue Kangaroo!
Nissa
Aug 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was a younger child my mother would read me that story all the time. She began to call me her BLue Kangaroo. She still calls me that now but I rarely think back and remember the book when she says "I love you Blue Kangaroo."
Anna
I think number one this is a good book I think to read when little ones are getting a sibling, shows you will always LOVE the first baby..no matter what she loves her blue kangaroo. No one can replace it and no matter what toys she got nothing was loved as much as the kangaroo. ...more
Garren
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Lara
Natt Okeeffe
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazing childhood bedtime story. I remember reading this everyday before bed with my favorite plushy toy at the time in my arms. It such a cute story that can teach children very important values and I recommend it even to adults. If I ever have any children I will definitely be reading this to them. Blue Kangaroo has captured all of our hearts.
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it

I picked this up at a used book fair. An adorable book. I didn't know this was a series, but I will read the others, and be on the lookout for them as well.
Alicia Balliett
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Such a cute story for children! I will buying a copy for whenever I have kids. :)
Camila Bueso
Mar 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Since Lily was very small she slept with her favorite stuffed animal name, Blue Kangaroo. Many of Lily’s family members start giving her new stuffed animals. Soon after, Blue Kangaroo gets pushed further and further to the side of the bed. One night, Blue Kangaroo states “there is just no room for me anymore” so he decides to sleep that night with Lily’s brother. Lily tries to take Blue Kangaroo back but her mother says she should let her brother keep it since she has a lot of stuffed animals ...more
Adam Clavey
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: eng-261
In this story a little girl has a blue kangaroo that she loves and hugs every single night. As she gets new animals she hugs them goodnight and tells them she loves them. She never forgets to tell blue kangaroo she loves him. Because there are so many stuffed animals, blue kangaroo falls off the bed one night. Feeling unloved, he goes to her baby brothers room. The next morning she finds her baby brother playing with blue kangaroo. She is upset and says she would give up any stuffed animal but ...more
Thy Anonymous
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favourite children story books- Where the Wild Things are? Ha! Alexander and a Terrible Horrible No good bad day? Yeah right! This is it! Excellently crafted in art and in language- a very moving tale, for me at least. This material had a great influence and impact on me when I was younger; the whole concept of forgetting, ditching, switching for a better and newer version of something you loved so dearly was a touchy one and hit me right where it hurt. After reading this book ...more
Mary
This is a great book with the lesson that you can't set aside those you love in favor of others because they will leave you and find someone who will love them. This little girl has a blue kangaroo that she loves, but she starts receiving all kinds of other animals from friends of her parents who start to push blue kangaroo away. He starts to feel left out and alone, so he finds the baby to love him. When the little girl finds out, she rushes to his side and gives all of her other animals to her ...more
Akaul002odu.edu
Feb 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: libs-642
1. Genre and age: Fantasy, ages 5 to 10

2. Summary: Lily is gifted a blue kangaroo, and then multiple stuffed animals after that. When she realizes she doesn't want to lose blue kangaroo, she offers up her other stuffed toys just to have her blue kangaroo back.

3. Curriculum: A lesson on friendship could be tired into this picture book.

4. Reaction: I thought this book had a sweet message but lacked artistic depth.

5. Illustrations: The illustrations were simple and repeated the same bright hues and
Whitney Bailey
Retell the story from Blue Kangaroo's point of view.

Try hot-seating the characters in the story to find out their feelings about what happened. How did Blue Kangaroo feel at different points? Did Lily realize that Blue Kangaroo was feeling upset?

Make a list of adjectives that are used to describe each of the toys in the story.

Write a story about your favorite toy.

Think of words to describe your favorite toy. What does it look like? Where did it come from? How does it make you feel?
Carly Brown
Oct 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
For Misty's Award

Level: Early

Genre: Picture Book

Topic: Favorite Stuffed Animal

Curricular Use: Shared Reading

Social: Not being able to replace an old friend, a child having a strong connection to their stuffed animal, security

Literary Elements: Rhyming, Dynamic Character, Personification

Strong connection between pictures and text (the anxious expression on Blue Kangaroo's face is priceless and really adds to the mood of the story)
Bobbie Jo Leighty
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I Love You, Blue Kangaroo is me and my moms favorite book to read together. This book is about a girl and her blue kangaroo which she sleeps with every night. but what happened when she gets to manny stuffed animals to fit in her bed. she ends up giving her blue kangaroo to her brother, so she can keep all her new stuffed animals. but she later realizes she rather have her blue kangaroo instead of all the animals. sho she trades her brother all her animals for the blue kangaroo.
Dolly
Sep 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
A sweet story that is perfect for bedtime story reading. Lily loves all of her toys, but especially her favorite, Blue Kangaroo. He feels unloved when her bed gets crowded with other stuffed animals, but her love for him prevails and he once again is given the place of honor in her arms. We really enjoyed reading this story together and it helps to remind us of what we think is important, especially when surrounded by too much materialistic junk.
Angie Martinez
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edu261
This book was one of my favorites when I was young. Children like to read this because it reminds them of their favorite stuffed animal. I enjoy the fact that the author brings the animals to life. It can connect to feeling left out and the emotions that come with it. I rated this book 5 stars because I think that it is a good story to read to children younger than 1st grade.
SARAH
Jun 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
A girl who as she gets new plush animals to love starts to neglect her blue kangaroo. Blue kangaroo feels hurt, jealous, and betrayed until...after being pushed out of bed...goes to the girls younger brother. The girl, gives up to her younger brother all her new animals in order to have blue kangaroo restored to her.
Huda
Feb 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: en-pic-books
I liked the idea of this book
The girl had a blue kangaroo which she loved so much
But she kept recieving some new animals every now and then
and blue kangaroo DID NOT like it

How the first child feels when his/her family is expecting a new baby?
Amar Pai
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
basic story of a girl who loves her special doll the mostest. doll gets insecure, all ends in smiles.

unobjectionable. but this book definitely did NOT need a sequel. we read another one in this series (blue kangaroo's birthday? or something?) that was much worse
The Brothers
Another fun story about Lily and her adventures with her stuffed animal blue kangaroo. A little Calvin & Hobbes-y, except in this "Hobbes" (the blue kangaroo) never says anything.

Really cute and sweet pictures.
carrie
Aug 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was darling. Lily especially loved it because the main character's name is Lily. She liked quizzing me on all the other animals' names too. We'll definitely be getting all the other ones.
Vivian
Apr 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Blue Kangaroo feels displaced by all of Lily’s new plush animals. The story employs “cumulative text” which means that language patterns are repeated to the story climax. This assists memory and listening skills.
Trisan
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: child-2
Great story. Munchkin followed each page to see what was going to happen.
Theresa
Aug 26, 2011 rated it liked it
by Emma Chichester Clark
the story of a little girl and her favorite stuffy,, and how she shows her love in the end by giving all the other animals to her brother
Tish
Nov 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
we were delighted to find the blue kangaroo books by this author
B Casteau
Feb 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sweet
Ruby and I love this series. We checked it out from the library about once a month.
Susan
Aug 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a favorite of my kids -- and me.
Chelsea Rodriguez
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Great for story time!!!
Beth
Apr 16, 2013 added it
I loved this book when I was little. In fact, It was my favorite. I hope that all the little ones out there enjoy it too.
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Children's Book About A Stuffed Blue Mouse [s] 9 60 Feb 05, 2015 12:13PM

• The Tiger Who Came to Tea
  • The Snail and the Whale
  • Slinky Malinki
Education:
Chelsea School of Art, B.A. (with honors), 1978;
Royal College of Art, M.A. (with honors), 1983.