Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Silver Linings Playbook
This topic is about The Silver Linings Playbook
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Quick Matthew, The Silver Linings Playbook; Informal Buddy Read ; Starts 7 July, 2018

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 10, 2018 02:55PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31614 comments Mod

Synopsis
Meet Pat. Pat has a theory: his life is a movie produced by God. And his God-given mission is to become physically fit and emotionally literate, whereupon God will ensure a happy ending for him—the return of his estranged wife, Nikki. (It might not come as a surprise to learn that Pat has spent time in a mental health facility.) The problem is, Pat's now home, and everything feels off. No one will talk to him about Nikki; his beloved Philadelphia Eagles keep losing; he's being pursued by the deeply odd Tiffany; his new therapist seems to recommend adultery as a form of therapy. Plus, he's being hunted by Kenny G!

In this enchanting novel, Matthew Quick takes us inside Pat's mind, showing us the world from his distorted yet endearing perspective. As the award-winning novelist Justin Cronin put it: "Tender, soulful, hilarious, and true, The Silver Linings Playbook is a wonderful debut.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments Looking forward to this BR! I have the book on hold/favorites on Hoopla!

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments A friend lent the book to me a couple of months ago, but I still haven't started... Have you seen the movie?

Team Lockhart here :)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments Yes I loved the movie. I hope the book is as good (or even better).

Team Draco here

message 7: by Sassafrass (new) - added it

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 1142 comments I hope I can join this one. I've been wanting to read this and this BR gives me the perfect excuse.

I haven't seen the movie.

Team Newt here

message 8: by Mary C (last edited Jun 11, 2018 07:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5267 comments I'll join this from team Minerva.

I loved the movie.

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments Cool. Getting a good bunch of people for this buddy read :-)

message 10: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (sarahjh26) | 629 comments I'll join in, too! Just saw the movie for the first time semi-recently.

Team Hermione : )

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments started about an hour ago, I think I'm up to Chapter 10 now?

I have to admit when I started I was a bit (view spoiler)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments Ok what is going on with (view spoiler)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments I am listening on audio and about 15% in right now. I think Pat must have been on some heavy meds at the "bad place" in Baltimore. Wonder if he was at Sheppard Pratt? I'm from around that area and that is one of the psych hospitals.

I saw the movie a long time ago so the story is new to me. I look forward to watching the movie when I'm done the book.

message 14: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (sarahjh26) | 629 comments Jammin Jenny wrote: "I am listening on audio and about 15% in right now. I think Pat must have been on some heavy meds at the "bad place" in Baltimore. Wonder if he was at Sheppard Pratt? I'm from around that area and ..."

Wait a sec...is this based on a true story?

message 15: by Mary C (last edited Jul 08, 2018 05:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5267 comments It's not based on a true story. The author was a teacher who worked with people with mental health issues and that's where the book idea came from. I read an interview with him yesterday.

I'm enjoying the book so far. It's really heart breaking what people go through. You wonder why their family and friends would want to fix up 2 people who clearly have mental health issues. But then you can see that they just want so badly to create normalcy for their loved ones. Like maybe if they get involved they can fix each other.

message 16: by Mary C (last edited Jul 08, 2018 05:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5267 comments and apparently Eagles fans are really that fanatical.

I'm about half-way through and just started yesterday. I took a break from it today because while the book has light-hearted moments, it's still a bit of a hard read. Just from what the characters are going through.

Kenny G: (view spoiler)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments I'm 75% done with the book. I agree Mary it is a hard read when the characters are struggling with mental health issues.

(view spoiler)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5267 comments I can't find the article now, but I read an interview with the author and I thought he said he worked with people with mental health issues when he was a teacher. He also said that he personally dealt with anxiety and depression.

The main thing I get from reading this book is that they are all just trying to make life seem as normal as possible. So as not to upset the status quo and not to upset or trigger the mentally ill person (Pat and Tiffany). I'm picking up that maybe the father has some un-diagnosed issues himself.

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments Yes the father definitely seems to have some issues...

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "and apparently Eagles fans are really that fanatical.

I'm about half-way through and just started yesterday. I took a break from it today because while the book has light-hearted moments, it's sti..."

damn those Eagle fans are crazy! (and probably some other NFL fans too :P)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments I'm about half way through the book now, and while it isn't very hard to read for me I did just fly across (view spoiler)

I also started thinking that Nikki (view spoiler)

I haven't seen the move yet btw. obviously lol.

SandyL | 4453 comments I just started this book (I'm listening to the audio version.) I'm up to Ch 14. I never saw the movie and had no idea it was about mental health issues.

I'm interested to find out more about what happened (view spoiler)

His narration sounds like he's still (view spoiler)

I love Dr. Patel!

Regarding Tiffany (view spoiler)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments I agree with your Sandy. (view spoiler)

SandyL | 4453 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "and apparently Eagles fans are really that fanatical.

I'm about half-way through and just started yesterday. I took a break from it today because while the book has light-hearted moments, it's sti..."

I have to agree with Pat about Kenny G (view spoiler)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5267 comments I am really fighting the urge to spoil what happened between Pat and Nikki. It's revealed fairly early into the book.

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments 'FAIRLY EARLY IN THE BOOK'?? 😲

SandyL | 4453 comments I just finished - this was a really quick book to listen to!

Wow! (view spoiler)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments I just started with the letters and I don't know what to think. (view spoiler)

message 30: by Mary C (last edited Jul 10, 2018 06:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5267 comments Pat and Nikki(view spoiler)

Early in the book Pat does say that he wasn't very nice to his wife.

I really need to stop googling things about books until after i finish them. I give myself too many spoilers.

message 31: by SandyL (last edited Jul 10, 2018 06:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

SandyL | 4453 comments You must have read it somewhere else, Mary - this doesn't come out until almost the end of the book. 😊

message 32: by Christina (last edited Jul 10, 2018 07:05PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "Pat and Nikki[spoilers removed]

Early in the book Pat does say that he wasn't very nice to his wife.

I really need to stop googling things about books until after i finish them. I give myself to..."

excuse you, that's like a massive spoiler! thanks :b

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5267 comments I did put it in spoiler tags. (I have a bad habit of reading those in reviews and discussion as well.)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5267 comments The father (view spoiler)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments Now I don't dare read anything anymore before I finished the book lol

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments Yes I just finished the book. I was surprised (view spoiler)

I also love Tiffany's final disclosure about what happened in her life to send her down the road to mental illness. I think that people in similar situations can help each other heal and I have hopes for their silver lining...

SandyL | 4453 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "The father [spoilers removed]"

I agree Mary - I think Pat (view spoiler)

SandyL | 4453 comments Jammin Jenny wrote: "Yes I just finished the book. I was surprised [spoilers removed]

I also love Tiffany's final disclosure about what happened in her life to send her down the road to mental illness. I think that pe..."

Me too Jennie. I liked how the author (view spoiler)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5267 comments I finished this morning. I liked the book a lot but I think I liked the movie just a little better.

I do have to say it was nice picturing Bradley Cooper shirtless and in yellow tights.

I agree with the points made about the ending. It's not a neatly wrapped up, certain HEA. But like Pat says in the book, his old movie is ending and some in it got a happy ending. The book leaves you with the hope that Pat and Tiffany will find peace and happiness together.

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments I finished last night and gave it 3 stars as I wasn't sure how I felt about it all. I too am sort of happy (view spoiler)

message 41: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (sarahjh26) | 629 comments Anyone about to start this soon? Or are just at the beginning? I'm hoping to find somebody else to read this with!