Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Unbound (The Archived, #2)
This topic is about The Unbound
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Schwab Victoria, The Unbound (The Archived #2), Informal Buddy Read Starts 24 July 2018

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 10, 2018 12:40AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31634 comments Mod

Synopsis
Imagine a place where the dead rest on shelves like books. Each body has a story to tell, a life seen in pictures that only Librarians can read. The dead are called Histories, and the vast realm in which they rest is the Archive.

Last summer, Mackenzie Bishop, a Keeper tasked with stopping violent Histories from escaping the Archive, almost lost her life to one. Now, as she starts her junior year at Hyde School, she's struggling to get her life back. But moving on isn't easy -- not when her dreams are haunted by what happened. She knows the past is past, knows it cannot hurt her, but it feels so real, and when her nightmares begin to creep into her waking hours, she starts to wonder if she's really safe.

Meanwhile, people are vanishing without a trace, and the only thing they seem to have in common is Mackenzie. She's sure the Archive knows more than they are letting on, but before she can prove it, she becomes the prime suspect. And unless Mac can track down the real culprit, she'll lose everything, not only her role as Keeper, but her memories, and even her life. Can Mackenzie untangle the mystery before she herself unravels?

With stunning prose and a captivating mixture of action, romance, and horror, The Unbound delves into a richly imagined world where no choice is easy and love and loss feel like two sides of the same coin.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 5: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14780 comments Mod
Anyone reading this? I’m thinking of delaying by a week

Lexi | 3115 comments I'll join whenever you want but a delay is fine.

message 7: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cool. I'll message Kathleen and see what works for her too :)

message 8: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kathleen is also good for a delay

I've moved it to the 24th so hopefully she will be ready then too :)

Lexi | 3115 comments Is anyone going to try to finish this one by the 31st?

message 10: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I really want to but I don’t think it is going to happen. I’m going overseas on Saturday so will take it with me and you never know...!

message 11: by Lexi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lexi | 3115 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "I really want to but I don’t think it is going to happen. I’m going overseas on Saturday so will take it with me and you never know...!"

Enjoy your travels and comment if you start and I will start as well.

message 12: by kat (wanderfulbooks) (last edited Jul 27, 2018 12:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Has anyone started yet?

message 13: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I’m taking it with me on he plane and will start tomorrow (in about 12 hours 😉)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Alrightie ;)

message 15: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I think with the 4 hour flight, plus being on holidays, I'll finish it by the end of the month :D

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments It's around 360 pages only so I think we'll definitely finish it before next week!

message 17: by Lexi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lexi | 3115 comments I'm starting when I finish Strange the Dreamer so hopefully on Sunday.

message 18: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Perfect 👍
I’m starting tonight but our day started at 3.30am so I’ll come back here tomorrow with initial thoughts

message 19: by Lexi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lexi | 3115 comments I started today as I finished my other book last night. Chapter 5 (view spoiler)

message 20: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lexi wrote: "I started today as I finished my other book last night. Chapter 5 [spoilers removed]"

I agree Lexi: I’m not sure why YA writers feel this necessity to create love triangles. (view spoiler)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments I really hope the author doesn't (view spoiler)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments @Lexi, I highly recommend The Lumater Chronicles by Melinna Marchetta. 😊

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments *Lumatere

sorry, im on the app.

message 24: by Lexi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lexi | 3115 comments Kathleen wrote: "@Lexi, I highly recommend The Lumater Chronicles by Melinna Marchetta. 😊"

I have read the first one and have meant to get back to them.

message 25: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I second that recommendation. She’s a great writer 😉

message 26: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

@Kathleen
I wondered about (view spoiler)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments (view spoiler)

message 28: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yes I think there is something bigger going on. (view spoiler)

message 29: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

chapter ten

So... I think Schwab is really clever and I’ve enjoyed so many of her books and this series is a great concept. But the execution. Argh. It’s so stereotypical YA. I can’t believe that this far in nothing has really happened other than Mac being all angsty and dwelling on the past. I really hope for some action soon because there’s not that much book left in order to wrap up the overarching story

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments is this a duology?

message 31: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I thought it was but looking at GR there is now a book 3 listed for 2020. Sigh. Schwab is not good at finishing series’ (in a timely manner lol 😂)
Ok now I’ll read this in the lens of a middle book which puts a different spin as often the middle books struggle

message 32: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Just finished chapter 22
So things are getting a bit interesting. (view spoiler)

message 33: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I've finished. Seems crazy that it will be at least another 2 years until the next book!
(view spoiler)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments I had the same thoughts about (view spoiler)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Just finished.
(view spoiler)

message 36: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yeah I though the same about Mac and her parents. It seems really selfish that her Da would put her forward for the archive and then they have lost Ben.
(view spoiler)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Right? They have that vibe... and so it comes off fishy... or we have very creative imaginations! Haha

message 38: by Lexi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lexi | 3115 comments Kathleen wrote: "Just finished.

I finished and agree on Mac. (view spoiler)

message 39: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I just read a review that says in the novella that follows she reveals Wes’ real name 😮

Another question - why can’t the people that were sent through the void come back (view spoiler)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments In a novella?!
auto

But it felt like such a big thing and so I expected it to be in the next book. Being revealed in the novella feels like... I don't know, the importance has lessened somehow.

(view spoiler)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Karen, have you finished reading her Darker Shades of Magic series?

message 42: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yes, I loved that series! And so nice that she actually finished one... lol!
Lila was such a great character that I'm hoping for a spin-off series with her

message 43: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kathleen wrote: "In a novella?!

But it felt like such a big thing and so I expected it to be in the next book. Being revealed in the novella feels like... I don't know, the importance has lessened somehow.

I t..."

Crazy, right? Seeing that he said he wouldn't tell Mac unless they made crew.

Yes you are probably right with the voids. (view spoiler)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "In a novella?!

But it felt like such a big thing and so I expected it to be in the next book. Being revealed in the novella feels like... I don't know, the importance has lessen..."

Unless they made Crew in the novella too?!

Having read the first two books in the ADSoM series and now this, it sort of feels like two different authors writing. It's like this is a lazier version of Schwab.

message 45: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

These are certainly her weaker books, but also her earlier ones. I think she is a better author these days and doesn’t have to rely on lazy YA tropes to move along a story .
I’ll have to download the novella when I’m back home and see what it’s all about!

message 46: by Lexi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lexi | 3115 comments I had no idea there was a novella. I'm not entirely sure I care though. I do find these to be her worst books.