What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
This topic is about Carve the Mark
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA Fantasy. Two brothers with powers get kidnapped by an enemy (elf?) nation. Boy can suppress a girl's power of inflicting pain by touching a person. Their mother is a seer of the future. Read 2010s. Spoilers ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JJ (new) - added it

JJ | 4 comments The book starts off with a family where a boy has a brother, sister, mom, and dad and his mom is a seer, which means she could see the future. Then there dad gets killed and him and his brother are kidnapped by an enemy nation. The boy has the power to suppress a girls power where if she touches someone they feel pain and can be killed. Please help!

message 2: by Kris (last edited Jun 11, 2018 02:52PM) (new)

Kris | 36605 comments Mod
JJ, can you tell us more about the brothers' powers and how they use it?

Are there fantastical creatures besides elves?

Can you tell us more about the father - rich/aristocratic/poor, job, why he was killed, etc.? (Spoilers are okay - just give us a clear warning before revealing a spoiler.)

What's the location - fantasy world (describe it), realistic Earth (urban/medieval/which country)?

message 3: by JJ (new) - added it

JJ | 4 comments The brother is a seer like his mom, which means he can see into the future. That’s why he was kidnapped because the prince of the enemy nation wanted to prevent his death. I’m not sure if the enemy nation we’re elves, but I know they weren’t human, or they were different from the boys they kidnapped. The place where the boys were from was cold, I remember that. The enemy nation went on these mission/quests where they traveled to a different planet, where they killed and conquered I think. The father was killed trying to protect the boys and they also had a sister but she wasn’t kidnapped.

message 4: by JJ (last edited Jun 14, 2018 04:53PM) (new) - added it

JJ | 4 comments They boy, who is the main character, suppressed the girls power by touching her. The girl has these black shadowy things that crawl all over her body. The boy is also good at making potions and their home has this flower that is used in a lot of their potions. And I'm pretty sure they don't live on Earth.

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert (ricroscupshigh) | 370 comments Sounds rather like Carve the Mark, by Veronica Roth.

"CYRA and AKOS grew up in enemy countries on a vibrant yet divided planet. Cyra’s ability to transfer extraordinary pain with a simple touch makes her a dangerous weapon for her tyrannical brother. When Akos is kidnapped and forced to serve Cyra, it’s clear that their hatred is mutual. But as Akos fights for his survival, he recognises that Cyra is also fighting for hers, and that her true gift – resilience – might be what saves them both."

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36605 comments Mod
JJ, is this book for teens or adults? How old are the brothers?

I added a few details to the header/topic title. You can update it by clicking the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, click the "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)

message 7: by JJ (new) - added it

JJ | 4 comments Robert got the book. It was Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Carve the Mark (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Veronica Roth (other topics)