What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Pagoo
This topic is about Pagoo
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Early to mid 1970s picture book about a hermit crab. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Jun 07, 2018 11:48AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments I'm looking for a book I loved when I was a kid; I took it out of my elementary school's library numerous times. It would have been published by 1975 or 1976 at the very latest.

It was about a hermit crab. If I remember correctly (which I may not; it's been a long since I was in elementary school) it started when he was quite young, like in the larval or plankton stage. After that, the MC (or should I say HC?) struggles to find an initial shell, and then successively larger shells as he gradually grows out of them.

What I remember most about the book was that it had beautiful, rich, colorful illustrations that would fill the entire page in some places. While it was a picture book, it had a decent amount of text; it wasn't something you could read in five minutes.

It is not "A Shell for Sam" by Jane Castellanos. That seems to take place over a short period (a day or so); mine has the hermit crab living and growing for some time. Also the illustrations are wrong.

I don't believe it's A House for Hermit Crab either. It doesn't have the rich, colorful illustrations I remember (like an oil painting, or a tapestry) and it doesn't start early enough in the HC's life, or cover enough time.

The first shell the HC had was very smooth and shiny. He was disappointed, at first, when he was looking for a larger shell and could only find one covered with barnacles and sea anemones (he thought of one as a "freeloader") but he grew to enjoy the camoflage/company, and later looked for shells with such accoutrements, or even placed them on the shells himself. While this also happened in A House for Hermit Crab it happened in that book right away; in my book, it was something the HC learned over time.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Watson | 150 comments I have a vague recollection of a children's book about a hermit crab, but this would have been back in the 1960's. I can't recall the title, but I remember the crab's name was Pagu. Does that ring any bells?

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Watson | 150 comments I did a little googling. The book I was thinking about was Hollings Pagoo, reprinted in 1990.

message 4: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Jun 07, 2018 02:10PM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments Thanks, Michael; this looks promising, from the little I can see of it on Amazon. I've got a copy on order from the library so I'll see if it's the one.

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36637 comments Mod
Here's the Google Books preview of Pagoo by Holling Clancy Holling - Michael's suggestion - https://books.google.com/books?id=2f7...

message 6: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments The Internet Archive copy came through -- it was Pagoo, although, as usual, I had misremembered some significant details.

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36637 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Sam. Thanks for the update.