Start by marking “A House for Hermit Crab” as Want to Read:
A House for Hermit Crab

A House for Hermit Crab

(Ready-To-Read: Level 2)

Poor Hermit Crab! He's outgrown his snug little shell, so he finds himself a larger one -- and many new friends to decorate and protect his new house. But what will happen when he outgrows this shell and has to say good-bye to all the sea creatures who have made Hermit Crab's house a home?
Children facing change in their own lives will relate to Hermit Crab's story -- and
Published June 1st 2005 by Aladdin (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about A House for Hermit Crab, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A House for Hermit Crab

Matt
At the beginning of the year, Hermit Crab finds his current shell is too small. He ventures out in search of a new one, only to discover that it is drab. Carle takes the reader along throughout the months, as Hermit Crab decorates and finds protection for his new house. By the end of the year, the shell has become too small again, forcing him to make a significant decision. Neo has long been an Eric Carle fan and liked the colours and less than mainstream illustrating.
Kym
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: university-shelf
A House for Hermit Crab is a wonderful story. Hermit Crab realizes he has outgrown his shell and has to find a new one. It is scary to have to leave the safety of your home and find a new home. Hermit Crab knows he must find a new home straight away because his home keeps him save in the open sea. He does accomplish finding a home that fits just right very quickly. This home even looks like his old home. However, he decides it's plain and goes on a quest in the dangerous, wide open sea in search ...more
Emma
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-2015
This repetitive story about a hermit crab moving into a new shell has a great rhythm and also provides opportunities to practice counting and identification of new creatures.

Everyone here really liked this and I think we'll soon add it to our home library.
Shawn Deal
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A very fun book about a hermit crab who is trying to decorate his shell. A creative book that promotes creativity.
Bhargavi Balachandran
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant way to explain symbiotic relationships in the ocean. Dig it!
Stephanie
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Text-to-Self Connection:

"A House for Hermit Crab" is a cute little story that definitely relates to me! I am always looking for things and such to decorate my house with. Every time I see something, I want it just like the Hermit Crab. I am constantly on the look out for new items to grab as well as bargain items to refresh old ones. Sometimes I begin to wonder if I am a hoarder with all the decor, but I really enjoy being crafty and decorating plain items and making them new.
Joey
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-5-stars
An excellent allegory for change. Eric Carle is a legend.
Madeline Feldman
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A House for Hermit Crab is another example of Eric Carle's incredible ability to craft a simple yet meaningful story and let the beautiful illustrations be the star of the book. The book begins with a hermit crab who is growing up and has become too big for his current home-his shell. Luckily, he easily finds a new shell to live in, but he has decided that this new shell is much too simple for his liking and sets out to decorate his new home. On his journey, he meets many other sea creatures, su ...more
Bookstork Buzz
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
A HOUSE FOR HERMIT CRAB is a charming story about the habits of a hermit crab, with a subtheme : the breaking away from the old and venturing out into the new.

When Hermit Crab outgrows his old shell, he has to find a bigger place in which to dwell. His new home is old and very plain. But, bit by bit, anemone and starfish and crusty coral come along to adorn it; snail keep it clean, sea urchin (prickly and fierce) love to protect it and lanternfish light it up. Hermit is a happy crab. Until his c
Zoe Lampman
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A House for Hermit Crab is a delightful story about under the sea friendship. Hermit Crab feels that his shell is too plain and enlists the help of sea creatures such as anemones and urchins to help him spruce it up, protect, and light it. At the end of the story, Hermit Crab graciously passes his shell on to another crab in need.

This story has beautiful illustrations, a positive message about working together and being kind to those in need, as well as exciting new ocean animal names with accu
Krista
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Re-read - This book has grown on me over the years. I read it again this week to my littlest and she loved it. Perfect book as we continue our arthopods study unit. Such a good story of making friends, being kind, sharing, and not being afraid of change.

My daughter now wants a hermit crab of her own.

Overall, this is another beautiful read from Eric Carle. Also I changed my star rating to 5 stars instead of 4.
Mariah Roze
Apr 17, 2016 rated it liked it
My students are reading all about habitats, so this is a great book for that topic. It is very cute!
Brooke Loewen
When you pick up “A House for Hermit Crab,” you will be enthralled with reading about a Hermit crab who outgrows his shell. Coming to terms with this, Hermit Crab moves on and finds himself a new home in an even bigger shell. Except the shell is not as welcoming as Hermit Crab would life. With the help of his friends, other sea anemones, Hermit Crab’s shell becomes decorated and is now protected thanks to all of his newly made friends that he meets on the ocean floor. But like all other great th ...more
Emma Venker
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this book, a hermit crab grows out of his shell. He must find a new one, but when he does, he thinks it is very plain. So he proceeds to go across the ocean floor and find "friends" to help decorate his house. They help him clean and see and protect his home.

A major theme of this story is friendship, as the hermit crab cultivates new creatures on his journey and they form a strong bond.

I would give this book a four-star rating. The illustrations are beautiful and very characteristic of Eric C
Kathryn Tibbens
In an incredibly engaging and wonderful story, Hermit Crab realizes he has outgrown his shell home and begins the journey to find a new one. He quickly finds his new home but things it is a bit bland and needs some decorations to make it unique. He travels the ocean floor and meets new friends along the way as they help him create an original masterpiece of a home. The book goes through the sequence of the months of the year, a great tool for younger readers, and by November, Hermit Crab has out ...more
Selina
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Hermit Crab has outgrown his first shell, and, as hermit crabs do, he must look for a new house. Nervous and a little frightened, the crab plucks up his courage and finds a shell that's big enough for him. The only problem is that it's very bare. That's where his fellow undersea creatures come in. A sea anemone offers to decorate the outside, a starfish the inside, an industrious sea snail, a fortress-protecting sea urchin, and an illuminating lantern fish move in as well. I think that children ...more
Hannah Jones
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hermit Crab has outgrown his shell and needs to go looking for a new one. He finally found a shell that fit, but it was quite plain. Throughout the next year, Hermit Crab found sea anemones, a starfish, coral, a snail, a sea urchin, a lanternfish. They would help decorate, protect, clean, and light up his new house. However, November rolled by and Hermit Crab’s shell was feeling too small. He gave his beautiful home to a smaller crab that was looking for a shell. Hermit Crab went looking for a b ...more
Abby
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ed-212
I liked how the book had a good flow and kept a rhythm. The book is easy for a child to follow and comprehend. Although, the book is kind of lengthy which could make the child become bored. The author used a lot of dialogue which makes the book easy to act out and use different voices with to keep children interesting. The target age of this book would be between 5-8. Since it is important for children to learn about making new friends, I think this book does a great job showing children how to ...more
Sue
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was worried after reading my first two Eric Carle selections this year that my decision to read as many of his books as possible was a mistake. However, this book changed my mind and buoyed my spirits. A House for Hermit Crab is an enchanting story of cooperation, kindness, codependency and growth. It can be used in a variety of ways in a classroom, including as an introduction to various parts of speech and as a step into scientific habitats.
Allie Pitcher
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites
I was recommended this book because of the illustrations. I love this author and liked how the hermit made friends with all the animals. I also liked the theme that you stay with other people no matter what. I would use this book for 3rd grade but could use the book for read aloud at any grade level.
John
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I like this book because he tried to find a shell; he found a shell in January and it looked very plain and he found lots of people on the way and he decorated on his house. He walked along and the shell got too big and he found some rocks and he asked "Do you mind if I arrange you?" and they said "not at all!"
Megan DeHart
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: growing-up
A House For Hermit Crab is a cute adventure about a hermit crab outgrowing his shell and setting out to find a new one and making it his own. The story can be related to a child growing up and moving on to their next classroom grade, a transition that can be a little sad, but with exciting new possibilities.
Alexa
This book could be used in science, writing or art. There are several facts about hermit crabs that could grab the students attention. There are also many different sea creatures introduced. Students can talk about new words they leaned and work on predicting what will happen. Students could also learn to draw their own hermit crab and decorate its shell.
Viviane Elbee
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book covers all twelve months and introduces young ones to a variety of sea life. Back matter in the back of the book provides non-fiction information about the sea animals encountered in the book. It has quite a bit of text, but fans of Eric Carle’s illustrations will enjoy looking at the pictures.
Karen
Dec 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I have very mixed feelings about this book. The hermit crab does choose a few friends on more than looks. It does teach a lesson on moving on. Still, it just seems mean to me. These creatures left their families!
Jill
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Classic Eric Carle: bright colors and a story that grows as it's told - and then could continue beyond the end.

Growth isn't a bad thing, look at all the new friends Hermit Crab met on the way to his new space and as he sought to make his home beautiful. It's not so different for people.
Kathryn Bergeron
A hermit crab goes and looks for ways to decorate his new shell.

I don't like many Eric Carle books, but I did like this one. It's a little bit wordier than some, but I think that the story and sentiment are great.
Jasmine Stocker
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A House for Hermit Crab is about the twelve months, about symbiosis, about creativity, and about adapting to growth and change. Each one of Eric Carle's books express a different aspect of learning for students and I feel as though they are related to a student's interests whatever that might be.
Heather Anderson
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kaden-s-books
Love the art style of Eric Carle's books. My three-year-old son was fascinated with the many sea creatures who volunteered to help the hermit crab decorate his home. It would be a great book to use to help a young child cope with moving.
Shaurya Jain
This book is interesting and I know more sea creatures than I knew earlier. It is colourful and has an interesting storyline. I loved the colourful illustrations. The board book is of a comfortable size and easy to flip and navigate through.
  • The Greedy Python
  • Planting a Rainbow
  • Bunny Money
  • Bat Loves the Night: Read and Wonder
  • Gingerbread Baby
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around ...more

Ready-To-Read: Level 2 (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • Combing for Clues (Hamster Holmes)
  • On the Right Track (Hamster Holmes)
  • Dooby Dooby Moo
  • Henry and Mudge and the Tumbling Trip (Henry and Mudge, #27)
  • Break Out!