Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

84, Charing Cross Road
This topic is about 84, Charing Cross Road
Archives > [June] 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff - Part 1 (Before Starting)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Katie | 2362 comments For the short book pick for the June book of the month, the group has selected 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff.

For more information about the Book of the Month, see the introduction post.

Part 1: Before starting
Part 2: After finishing

Questions before starting:
1. Had you heard of this book before it was selected for Book of the Month? What makes you want to read it?
2. This is a book of letters. Do you enjoy epistolary books?
3. Have you ever had a pen pal?

Chinook | 639 comments 1. I’ve actually meant to read this book for years due to recommendations on Goodreads.

2. Lately I’ve really enjoyed several epistolary novels. I tend to think I won’t but I think I’m wrong about that.

3. Yes. I had a summer friend at our cottage that I wrote to during the school year. And then I had two pen pals in Europe from school, one of whom I’m now FB friends with.

Jacqueline | 426 comments 1 I heard of it when I first joined Goodreads last year.

2 Actually I thought I’d hate a book of letters but I loved it. I have since read Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and loved it to. I can’t stand Dear Fahrenheit 451 though.

3 I used to have heaps of pen pals when I was in High School. My French teacher wanted us to have French pen pals to help us with our French. Then we got letters from people from all over the world. I had pen pals in Sweden, America, England, France and Canada. Others in my class had them in other countries as well.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann S | 618 comments 1. I have been wanting to read this since our book club read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. One member of the club said she thought the author stole her ideas from Charing Cross Road. So it will be interesting to see.
2. I hate Epistolary books, but have found, after a chapter or two, I forget they are letters and enjoy them.
3. I have always had pen pals from 4th grade on to today.

Joan Barnett | 1671 comments 1. Had you heard of this book before it was selected for Book of the Month? What makes you want to read it? No I have not heard of it before. It seems like something different to read.
2. This is a book of letters. Do you enjoy epistolary books? I don't seek them out but I don't seem to mind them when I read them.
3. Have you ever had a pen pal? I did have a pen pal but I was bad with keeping up with it.

message 6: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura | 3783 comments Mod
1. Had you heard of this book before it was selected for Book of the Month? What makes you want to read it? I think I've seen it here and there on some of the "best" lists but it was never really on my radar for a priority read.

Typically, yes. It just depends on the story itself.

I believe we were supposed to start doing them in French class back in middle school but either the plan fell through or I just didn't keep up with it.

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 57 comments Questions before starting:
1. Had you heard of this book before it was selected for Book of the Month? What makes you want to read it?

I actually had not heard of this book before. I'm looking forward to reading it since the one person owns a bookstore. I hope there are discussions about specific books but we shall see!

I think the only epistolary books I've ever read were the Letters from a Nut series by Ted L. Nancy. These were hysterical. But I do love when fictional books have characters right letters to each other. I love reading the letters in the pages of the book.

No, I have never had a pen pal. I am so surprised to see how many people above me had pen pals from all over the world. It sounds beautiful!