Start by marking “Letters from a Nut” as Want to Read:
Letters from a Nut

Letters from a Nut

(Letters from a Nut #1)

Who is Ted L. Nancy?

He's a superstitious Vegas high-roller who wants to gamble at a casino in his lucky shrimp outfit...

He's the genius inventor of "Six Day Underwear"...

He's a stage actor who only travels while dressed as a stick of butter...

He is, in reality, a twisted prankster—a supremely off-kilter alter ego who sends patently ridiculous letters to corporate honchos,
Published June 1st 1997 by Avon Books

To ask other readers questions about Letters from a Nut, please sign up.
Libbie It isn't really the type of book to assign to a student. It is a collection of emails and responses from "Ted L. Nancy"
It's just a silly book about s…more
It's just a silly book about silly inquiries to important people. It's funny, of course, but it doesn't really have a plot or climax. It's just a leisure read for middle school age kids to get a little bit of a laugh out of.(less)

Start your review of Letters from a Nut
Budd
May 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is the ultimate coffee table book. Leave it there and when you are feeling a little down or depressed pick it up. I took the advice offered in the introduction and tried to read a couple of my favorite letters out loud to people. I was in tears. This book is meant to be taken in small doses so don't sit down and read it from cover to cover. Pay attention to the small quirky details he puts into the letters, they are the funniest parts. Read some letters out loud and see if you can finish th ...more
Joey
Jan 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
I saw this book in a "Borders" bookstore, and picked it up while me and a friend had coffee.. as I read the book, in a crowded cafe in the bookstore, I noticed that I was laughing aloud..I was in tears in a matter of minutes... I passed the book to my friend, who in turn, laughed aloud.. we both laughed and laughed and laughed uncontrollably, page after page...the others in the cafe were wanting to see what we were laughing out, so we ended up passing the book to other people as well who also go ...more
♥ Sandi ❣
Apr 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1-have
Funny letters sent to various businesses and the responses that were sent back. Very strange what people will request and even stranger how people try to accommodate those strange requests...LOL!
Lindsay
Dec 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I laugh until I cry. Seriously, tears are streaming down my face every time I pick this book up. I wonder what the author of this book is thinking. He's either totally insane or a complete genius.
This book is full of completely made up letters to companies, hotels, restaurants, etc. about their products and services and those companies responses.

If you have no sense of humor, please don't read this!
Jennifer Rice
Mar 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
This guy IS a nut. He writes these wacky letters to different companies, hotels, and celebrities with off-the- wall requests; my favorite is when he writes to the Mars Inc and tells them his new candy ideas such as STARTLES -- a combination of Starburst and Skittles (which I think would be delicious).
Barb
Apr 29, 2015 rated it liked it
If you are a bathroom reader, this book just may fill that bathroom reading need. The author, who calls himself Ted L. Nancy, has written to many different businesses with bizarre questions or requests. He has published his original letters, and then the reply. I find myself wondering what the PR folks at these companies have to deal with on a daily basis. Fun reading.
Craig
Oct 20, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: humor
Shameless derivative hack of Lazlo Toth's books. Completely unoriginal and not the least bit funny.
Christina
Dec 31, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book is a cheap ripoff of The Lazlo Letters by "Lazlo Toth" (Don Novello, whom you may remember as Fr. Guido Sarducci on Saturday Night Live.) There are several differences, though, aside from the lack of originality in the knockoff.

The first difference is that Letters from a Nut isn't particularly funny. It has a few amusing moments, but mostly it's just stupidity masquerading as a sense of humor. There is no "theme" to the humor, and no endearing quality to the main character; in fact, th
Maya
Feb 22, 2012 added it
This book is about a guy named Ted L. Nancy who writes funny letters to all kinds of businesses like Frito Lays and the Disneyland Hotel with random requests. Although this book was funny at times, this was something that (at least for me) you only want to read a few pages of. It is an easy book to read though. So if you want to read this book, i would recommend reading it along with another book like I did, so that you have another book to read while you take a break from this.
Hubert
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Humorous and hilarious! Nancy's acerbic wit displayed in a series of prank letters to various companies, hotels, and even governments will keep you laughing for a while. Appropriate and fun to share with friends as well, say at a dinner party.
Kaelyn
Aug 07, 2015 rated it liked it
It was a bundle of fun! I thought it was good for a laugh, but nothing more than that. I also found that some of his letters were similar to other letters, so reading them happened to be a chore. Other than that, if you're looking for something that's fun and light, I'd recommend this book!
Charles
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is a very fun, light book to read. It is great for picking up and reading for a couple of minutes and then putting it down. At first the book is very funny but quickly becomes routine and repetitive. By the end of the book, you know what is coming and I lost interest.
Aaron Schlafly
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
"The Lazlo Letters" by Don Novello did this first and better.
Dan Myers
Jul 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Have you read this book? If not, and you want a good clean laugh, I'd recommend it. I just randomly picked it out of the humor section at Borders last night and it turned out to be a real howl. You know you've got a funny book on your hands when your daughter, becoming slightly exasperated with all the laughing, suggests that maybe it would be best if you took a little break from the book and did something else for a while!

The book is a hilarious compilation of letters, purportedly written by th
Mimi
Jul 26, 2012 rated it liked it
The author of this book wrote ridiculous letters (often requests) to real companies, and the original letters and responses are published in this book.

I thought many of the letters were funny. I read about three fourths of the book. And there were maybe five that I read out loud to my husband, because I thought they were so funny. I really enjoyed the one he wrote to the stadium seating company president. :) Truly a question for the ages . . .

However, it stopped being as funny for me when he st
Irene McHugh
Mar 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'm not certain which I found more funny: the completely absurd scenarios concocted by the author of these letters, or the responses of the poor employees who must remain appropriately polite. I loved sharing some of these letters with students when I taught business letter writing. Not only are they great visuals for showing a variety of letterheads and styles, the responses also show students how tone or voice come into play when writing a formal business letter.
Tracy
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is hilarious. It is a compilation of outrageously goofy letters sent to actual businesses and the responses he receives. You will laugh until you cry and your stomach hurts. Whenever I need a really good laugh I will break out this book and read a few pages. My family has read this book over and over and over. We have also enjoyed reading it to one another in the car while traveling.
Rachel Wagner
Aug 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I have yet to find anyone who didn't laugh at some of the letters in this book. How about the guy who looks just like Abraham Lincoln and needs special treatment at the casino or the man in the acting troup who will be riding the greyhound dressed as a stick of butter? It's hilarious stuff!
Lis
Sep 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: immature people who like to laugh
Oh, this was funny... The guy wrote letters to different companies and from their responses you can tell some sort of knew something was up, others seemed to genuinely be good people and made you feel bad for laughing. But, oh, it was funny.
Heather Lowe
Jan 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is hilarious! Basically, this guy writes letters with ridiculous requests to different businesses to see if and how they'll reply. Some of the ideas that he comes up with are so clever and random. My husband and I read it together and laughed so hard.
Andrea
Feb 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Danny, Karalyn, Christina, Shelley, Jamie
Shelves: funny
I laughed harder than I can remember. Thought provoking, random, and memorable. The author's mind works in a very interesting way, and he is quite the creative, humorous mind. Kyle and I have our "favorite" letters, but they're all great.
Chris
Feb 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone, crank yankers
This is one of the funniest books I've ever read! If you read the letters out loud to other people you really will LOL! HA! I especially enjoyed the stories of Morris the butter stick and the shrimp outfits in Vegas. Have fun with this one - I have.
Amy
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I grew up laughing with this book. Or at this book. I'm not sure xD My Dad would take it down from the shelf where it sat next to his dusty Latin and Greek textbooks from college and read portions outloud.
April Simmons
Jul 19, 2007 rated it liked it
Good bathroom reading.
Matt
Jul 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
Dude has way too much time on his hands, he sends random letters to places with made up complaints, and it's really really funny.
Elisabeth
Jul 26, 2007 rated it liked it
my pre-bday gift from Jessica, read couple pages of it, it is funny :D such a creative idea!
CLM
Sep 04, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
This was a very silly book but we all got to meet Jerry Seinfeld when he came in to the Avon offices with the author so we stopped complaining...
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
total awesome silliness. my friends and i were obsessed with these books in high school. i think they helped to develop my sense of humor. i don't know if that's good or bad actually.
Camille
Feb 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is hilarious. If you ever see it, pick it up!
Cassandra

• El Quinto Viaje
  • Pablo Neruda: Absence and Presence
  • The Emperor Jones
  • Mourning Becomes Electra
  • Madame Bovary, C'est Moi: The Great Characters of Literature and Where They Came From
  • Little Tree
  • When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?
  • My Heart
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 32: Rest In Peace
  • The Last Messiah (Nihilistic Buddhism, Antinatalism, Pessimism)
  • Vampire Universe
  • It's Not All Downhill from Here
  • Bog Bodies
  • For the Man Who Has Everything
Ted L. Nancy is the pseudonym used by the comedian Barry Marder, author of a number of prank letters which have been published in a series of bestselling books under the titles Letters from a Nut, More Letters from a Nut, Extra Nutty!: Even More Letters from a Nut, and the new book All New Letters from a Nut.

Letters from a Nut (4 books)
  • More Letters from a Nut
  • Extra Nutty! Even More Letters from a Nut!
  • All New Letters from a Nut: Includes Lunatic Email Exchanges

News & Interviews

“I was visiting your hotel recently as part of a semi large to a full mid size group. We are considered a group for entertainment purposes but not considered a group for anything else. In my visit to your hotel, I was distracted, confused and lost from the group.” 0 likes