Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Gaol/BOTM > BOTM - July, 2018 - Slightly Dangerous

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Discussion thread for July, 2018 BOTM. Please remember to use the spoiler tags when necessary! (Please see 'some html is ok' for instructions).

Happy reading:)

Slightly Dangerous
Slightly Dangerous (Bedwyn Saga, #6) by Mary Balogh

All of London is abuzz over the imminent arrival of Wulfric Bedwyn, the reclusive, cold-as-ice Duke of Bewcastle, at the most glittering social event of the season. Some whisper of a tragic love affair. Others say he is so aloof and passionless that not even the greatest beauty could capture his attention. But on this dazzling afternoon, one woman did catch the duke’s eye—and she was the only female in the room who wasn’t even trying. Christine Derrick is intrigued by the handsome duke…all the more so when he invites her to become his mistress.

What red-blooded woman wouldn’t enjoy a tumble in the bedsheets with a consummate lover—with no strings and no questions asked. An infuriating lady with very definite views on men, morals, and marriage, Christine confounds Wulfric at every turn. Yet even as the lone wolf of the Bedwyn clan vows to seduce her any way he can, something strange and wonderful is happening. Now for a man who thought he’d never lose his heart, nothing less than love will do.

With her trademark wit, riveting storytelling, and sizzling sexual sparks, Mary Balogh once again brings together two polar opposites: an irresistible, high-and-mighty aristocrat and the impulsive, pleasure-loving woman who shows him what true passion is all about. A man and a woman so wrong for each other, it can result only in the perfect match.

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 245 comments ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
I can’t wait. I love this series. I’m finishing up book 5 now, and then I will start book 6. So, this is GREAT for me. I had never read Mary Balogh before a month ago, and I really like her.

message 3: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2087 comments OMG. I just reread this a few months ago so I'm not sure whether I'm ready for another read just yet. But IMO it's Mary Balogh's best. And in my top 5 HRs ever. Melissa, you are in for a real treat, cos the previous books will have prepared you for this one, the best in the series. I'll be interested to see opinions from any new readers who tackle it next month without having read the rest of the series.

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 245 comments Jan130, I’m so excited to find out more about Wulf. To be quite honest, I really just want someone to be able to ruffle his feathers a little. Haha.

message 5: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2087 comments Melissa wrote: "Jan130, I’m so excited to find out more about Wulf. To be quite honest, I really just want someone to be able to ruffle his feathers a little. Haha."

You're gonna love it!

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 245 comments Jan130,
Oh good, I can’t wait.

message 7: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 398 comments Is this readable without having read the other first?

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 245 comments Lorien,
I’m in the middle of book 5 in this series right now. I don’t think you have to read the other books first, but I am glad that I am reading them in order. I feel like I have much more insight into the characters. I don’t know if that helps. I really like this author. She was new to me. I can’t wait to sample more from her after I’m done with this series.

message 9: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2087 comments Lorien wrote: "Is this readable without having read the other first?"

Lorien, you could read it as a standalone, but I agree with Melissa. It has a lot more 'punch' if you've read the other 'Slightly' books first, as you get to know Wulfric, the H, a little bit more in each book and then when he gets his own story it's just WOW! At last!

But still, you may not want to read all those other books first, so it would be worth trying as a standalone. It just might take you a little while to warm to Wulfric. But hang in there. When you get to know him, he's one of the best HR heroes EVER IMO :D

message 10: by Uvi (new)

Uvi I just finished it and I agree you can read it without reading the first one even though some of the supporting characters make a brief cameo.

I’ve got to say though, I felt bad for Wulf. He had a lot of hurdles to cross to surpass the heroine’s preconceived notions about who or what he was all about.

message 11: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 398 comments I've owned this series for a while and never got around to it. I can only read so much Balogh at a time. So joining a buddy read would help motivate me. But I don't have time or will to read the rest of the series before July. :)

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 245 comments I just finished Slightly Sinful, and I will be starting Slightly Dangerous. It feels like such a treat that Slightly Dangerous is also the July group read. YEAH!!! I can’t wait to read all the comments and add a few of my own. I had never read any Mary Balogh books before starting this series. I really like her writing style, and I can’t wait to try some of her other stories. I have to say, the Bedwyn family saga has a definite place in my heart. This series will always be a top favorite.

message 13: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2311 comments I loved this series, and I highly recommend anyone who has time to start from the beginning and read all of them. However, unlike most people, Slightly Dangerous is not my favorite. I'm not ready to join in for a reread yet, but I look forward to seeing what other people think.

message 14: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2087 comments Mariana wrote: "I loved this series.....However, unlike most people, Slightly Dangerous is not my favorite"

What??? Sacrilege Mariana! (joking of course). But it's my fav in a big way. Now I'm curious. Which one is your fav?

I'm not sure whether I'm ready for a reread just now either. Might be a bit too soon for me to reread again. But I'm keen to read others' comments as well.

message 15: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2087 comments Melissa wrote: "II just finished Slightly Sinful, and I will be starting Slightly Dangerous. It feels like such a treat that Slightly Dangerous is also the July group read. YEAH!!! I can’t wait to read all the comments and add a few of my own. I had never read any Mary Balogh books before starting this series. I really like her writing style, and I can’t wait to try some of her other stories. I have to say, the Bedwyn family saga has a definite place in my heart. This series will always be a top favorite. "

Yay Melissa. I second your comments (except I have read quite a few Baloghs before). I heartily recommend Heartless Heartless (Georgian, #1) by Mary Balogh and Irresistible Irresistible (Horsemen Trilogy, #3) by Mary Balogh as other fab Baloghs you may wish to try. Also the Mistress trilogy. Starts with More Than a Mistress More Than a Mistress (Mistress Trilogy #1) by Mary Balogh

Enjoy Slightly Dangerous with the wonderful Wulfric and Christine.

message 16: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2311 comments Jan130 wrote: "Mariana wrote: "I loved this series.....However, unlike most people, Slightly Dangerous is not my favorite"

What??? Sacrilege Mariana! (joking of course). But it's my fav in a big way. Now I'm cur..."

Ha, ha! I did rate Slightly Dangerous 5 stars, but my favorite was Slightly Tempted

message 17: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 245 comments Jan130,
I’m looking forward to this book so much. I want to see what’s behind Wulfric’s cold exterior, and I have a feeling there’s quite a bit behind it. I’m definitely going to try Balogh’s other books as well. Thanks for the recommendations.

message 18: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2087 comments Mariana wrote: "Ha, ha! I did rate Slightly Dangerous 5 stars, but my favorite was Slightly Tempted "

Oh yes. I liked that one too, but not as much as Wulfric's book. I think unfortunately I read Slightly Tempted too soon after reading Georgette Heyer's Waterloo classic An Infamous Army An Infamous Army (Alastair, #4) by Georgette Heyer
and that kind of clouded my view of the Balogh. But I did love Morgan.

message 19: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2087 comments Melissa wrote: "Jan130,
I’m looking forward to this book so much. I want to see what’s behind Wulfric’s cold exterior, and I have a feeling there’s quite a bit behind it. I’m definitely going to try Balogh’s other books as well. Thanks for the recommendations. "

My pleasure. And you are going to love the unfolding of Wulfric and the melting of the ice around his lonely heart.

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 245 comments I’m in the middle of Chapter 5 right now. I’m almost sad, because I know this will be a quick read for me. I’m enjoying this book thoroughly. I feel like a kid in a candy store. 😊

message 21: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jul 02, 2018 01:58PM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Mariana wrote: "I loved this series, and I highly recommend anyone who has time to start from the beginning and read all of them. However, unlike most people, Slightly Dangerous is not my favorite. I'm not ready t..."

Me too, Mariana,

This is my second fave HR series, but "Slightly Dangerous" isn't my favorite OF the series.

Christine was too (view spoiler)

message 22: by Jan (last edited Jul 02, 2018 04:39PM) (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2087 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Christine was too (view spoiler)"

It's interesting cos at times in the past I've read an occasional similar comment. But I've never found her like that, and for me she's always seemed so perfect for Wulf. I guess we all see characters though our own lenses. In this case it's a shame for you, as I guess it would 'take the shine off' the book. But yeah, it's happened to me before, when I just can't connect with a main character in a book that everyone else seems to love. Oh well. It happens.

BTW Andrea, which is your 'first fav' HR series? (At the moment mine is Lisa Kleypas The Ravenels.)

message 23: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2087 comments Melissa wrote: "I’m in the middle of Chapter 5 right now. I’m almost sad, because I know this will be a quick read for me. I’m enjoying this book thoroughly. I feel like a kid in a candy store. 😊"

:D

message 24: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jul 02, 2018 05:17PM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Jan,

Christine is very likable and a good pairing for Wulfie, just not the slapstick.

My 1st fave HR series is probably the now-old “Knight Miscellany” by Gaelen Foley.

The Ravenel Series is LKs current, right?

message 25: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 398 comments "The Ravenel Series is LKs current, right? "

Yep, I have been 50/50 on it so far though.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Lorien,

Thanks for clearing that up.

I think LK took a hiatus from HR and wrote different books, right?

message 27: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2087 comments It didn't really strike me as slapstick, Andrea. OK, she's a little (view spoiler) But we all know people like that.

Yes Ravenels is the current LK series and I'm loving them. She has written some CRs (I love her Travises series too) but that was a few years ago.

I haven't read the Gaelen Foleys. Thanks for sharing. I must give them a try. Is it best to read them in order? I know sometimes it doesn't matter, but in the case of the Ravenels, IMO it's better to read in order. Builds the characters and over-arching plot-lines better.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Jan,

I think that the Knight Series should be read in order.

message 29: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 398 comments Okay I'm not sure why I put this series off for so long, I'm already half way through the book. And I just started last night.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Lorien wrote: "Okay I'm not sure why I put this series off for so long, I'm already half way through the book. And I just started last night."

It’s a really good series.

message 31: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 245 comments I’m already half way through this book. I’ve been waiting for Wulfric’s story since book 1 of this series, and it has not been a disappointment. I absolutely love Christine. I’ll be more than a little sad when I finish this book.

message 32: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2087 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Jan,

I think that the Knight Series should be read in order."

OK thanks. GTK.

message 33: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 398 comments SO I started this thinking maaaaaybe I'll give this a try... And then I finished the book in 2 days...
I shouldn't be surprised I guess, A Summer to Remember is in my top 20 HR books easily. It's one of the few romances ever to make me tear-up.
But I had gotten a bit burnt out on Balogh with the Huxtable series and just avoided her other books. My loss.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Lorien wrote: "SO I started this thinking maaaaaybe I'll give this a try... And then I finished the book in 2 days...
I shouldn't be surprised I guess, A Summer to Remember is in my top 20 HR books e..."

I really like aStR a lot.

NOBODY but MB can take 2 strangers and take the reader step by step, incremental process of creating a believable connection. She does it in aStR in spades.

message 35: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2087 comments I liked A Summer To Remember too. Yes she's really good at building believable characters and relationships. I've only read one or two of the Huxtable series but it's not my fav of her series.

message 36: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 348 comments 40% Through! Loving this book. I've read the first 2 in the series and am trying not to listen to the connection to characters I haven't read yet LOL.

I'm looking forward to reading the inbetween books to see what you all are saying about Wulf. I'm not sure I like him so much, and then again, I can't stop listening and waiting for them to have some book time together. I think that's the nature of his personality. He's a strong male character, which I like, but he's also really unbending...... so far :D And that quizzing glass. I don't like that stupid monocle! LOL But I have no doubt I will be falling in love with him.

I've really enjoyed this series.

message 37: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2087 comments Wulfric! *happy sigh* You can't have him, Shannon. He's one of my book husbands. Already taken. LOL.

message 38: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 348 comments Jan130 wrote: "Wulfric! *happy sigh* You can't have him, Shannon. He's one of my book husbands. Already taken. LOL."

LOLOL......that made my day!

message 39: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 245 comments I have about 40 more pages until I’m done. I’m officially in love with Wulf. Jan130, I hate to tell you this, but Wulf is leaving you for me, hahaha. He is by far my favorite hero. He’s unselfish and loyal. I’m so upset that I’m at the end of this series. I want more! This book was romance to its core.😍☺️😊

message 40: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jul 06, 2018 11:53AM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Wulf is yummy. He's a close rival to Billy Blade from Lady of Desire!

message 41: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 245 comments Thanks Andrea. I’ll check out Gaelen Foley. I’ve never read any of her books before. Does that series need to be read in order?

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Melissa wrote: "Thanks Andrea. I’ll check out Gaelen Foley. I’ve never read any of her books before. Does that series need to be read in order?"

I would read it in order, but I think that you might get away with reading out of order.

message 43: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 245 comments Andrea, I’ll read it in order. I’m so glad I read Balogh’s Slightly series in order. I felt like I had a better connection with the characters. Thanks again for the suggestion.

message 44: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 245 comments I just finished the book with a sniffle and a sigh. OH MY! The Wallflowers series by Lisa Kleypas was my favorite, but not anymore. Mary Balogh is my new favorite author. I have loved this whole series. Wulf’s story oozes romance. I thought it was the best of the series, but maybe that’s because I looked forward to reading Wulfric’s story with so much anticipation.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Melissa wrote: "I just finished the book with a sniffle and a sigh. OH MY! The Wallflowers series by Lisa Kleypas was my favorite, but not anymore. Mary Balogh is my new favorite author. I have loved this whole se..."

I'm glad that you enjoyed it! MB is one of my favorite HR authors as well.

This series is my second favorite series!

message 46: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2087 comments *group hugs everyone for mutual love of Wulfric and Slightly Dangerous*

*goes to check out Lady of Desire*

message 47: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 398 comments I kept comparing Wulfric to oddly to Batman.
I can only say because they are both so hard on the outside, but soft and gooey on the inside.

message 48: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 398 comments The book mentioned Wulfric had another fiancé. What book if any is that story covered in?

message 49: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 245 comments Lorien,
It tells the story in Slightly Tempted.

message 50: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 4104 comments Mod
Lorien wrote: "I kept comparing Wulfric to oddly to Batman.
I can only say because they are both so hard on the outside, but soft and gooey on the inside."

I can see it.

« previous 1