Start by marking “Slightly Wicked (Bedwyn Saga, #2)” as Want to Read:
Slightly Wicked (Bedwyn Saga, #2)

Slightly Wicked

(Bedwyn Saga #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  10,423 ratings  ·  556 reviews
Meet the Bedwyns…six brothers and sisters—men and women of passion and privilege, daring and sensuality…Enter their dazzling world of high society and breathtaking seduction…where each will seek love, fight temptation, and court scandal…and where Rannulf Bedwyn, the rebellious third son, enters into a liaison that is rather risqué, somewhat naughty, and…Slightly Wicked.

Wit
Published October 2011 by Bantam Dell Random House (first published April 29th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Slightly Wicked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slightly Wicked

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Slightly Wicked (Bedwyn Saga, #2)
Suzanne
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Having never read a regency romance novel I was happy to take on this one leant to me by my librarian and friend at work. We talk about books all day every day (well, on and off at least) so I asked her to lend me one that she thought may tickle my fancy. I’m glad she did. I happily rate this 4 stars.

Judith Law is a young and somewhat overlooked lady; voluptuous with fiery red hair. Some may say feisty. These traits are not helpful when your wicked aunt is trying to set up your ditzy blonde cou
Dina
May 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but here it is: another Balogh, another winner! She hasn't disappointed me yet, and I just love her writing.

Slightly Wicked is the second book in Balogh's series about the Bedwyn siblings, and tells the story of third son Rannulf (aka Ralf).

As the story opens, Ralf is on his way to Grandmaison, his grandmother's estate, well aware that, once again, she's going to try and persuade him to finally take a wife. He's used to her "gentle persuasion" and un
Al George
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 02-library, 02-audio
I will be the obedient steed beneath you. Snort. Giggle. Seriously, folks. Not hot.

not ok

No really. Who ever says obedient, steed and ride me other than furry lovers? But I digress.

Setting / Time / Genre: Regency

Series: Second in the series and I can't wait for number three.

Sexy times: Yes, not terribly graphic, but certainly not clean. Let's call it three steps above Julia Quinn, shall we?

Plan on reading more by the author: Yes!

Synopsis Adventurous in her imagination heroine manages and assigna
Michelle Robinson
Mar 26, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: noone!
I like for my fiction to make sense, for the time period in which it is written, and I can not get around the idea that no woman of good sense, at this time in history, would risk an unplanned pregnancy when she is totally dependent on the good will of others for everything.

I understand that she felt she might not have another opportunity to have this type of encounter in her life but I just don't buy what she chose to do and that was problematic for me.

I could not possibly believe that this wo
Jan
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review after reread 2020:
I'm still at 3.5 star - perhaps 3.75. I think I enjoyed it a little more this time around. I was a bit more tolerant of the jewel robbery section of the plot - I can see how it showed the (view spoiler)

I still really enjoyed the first section, with Judith kind of living out her fantasy before the cold, hard facts of life had to begin, with
Caz
I've given this an A+ for narration and a B for content at AAR, which is probably 4.5 stars, so I've rounded up for the fabulous narration.

One of the many things I love about audiobooks is that they’re a great way for me to catch up with older titles that, with the best will in the world, I’m unlikely to get around to reading for at least the next ten years or more. Another great thing is that it’s such a treat when books you’ve really wanted to listen to are finally recorded and made available.
Nefise
It is one of the rare book that I consider that Mary Balogh's mediocre book. First, I didn't like the beginning of the story. Although, I understand heroine's, Judith, reasons about her choice for being together with a stranger at the first meeting, it is hard to accept.

The plot was not bad but I still can't say that I read it with an enthusiasm. I think, Ms Balogh's talent mostly charmed me to read the book till the end of it. Maybe with another aouthor, I might had not completed it.

I will read
Mahak
4.5
Edited***
Writing is captivating from start. My heart goes to Judith for suffering such fate. But in all these dire circumstance she was strong, optimistic & still Dreaming. One of her dream come true when dashing Lord Rannulf offered her a ride, or an adventure of her dreams.
It was fresh to have a reckless, following her heart heroine But isnt it was equally danger? He was a stranger! He could kill her or torture her or worse? There was no scene that make us sense that hero win her trust or h
Aly is so frigging bored
Nov 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
2nd read 21-26 February 2012

3rd read September 2015
Susana
1,5 stars

Tw's: Attempted rape

No one is infallible, and to expect otherwise is just unreasonable.

Also, tastes are tastes. What works for a person doesn't work for another...

This is the fourth book I read by this author. And for the first time, a Mary Balogh story didn't work for me.

There has been something wonderfully constant in the previous books I read by this author: No insta love or lust.

The characters behave as sensible people. They normally find themselves together due to a promise m
Lisa Kay
★★★★★ So very happy this series is finally being released, one at a time, on audio. The amazing, ever talented Rosalyn Landor elevates this story.
Jacob Proffitt
Sep 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: steamy, romance
This was much better than the first in the series, if only because it didn't depend on the two not talking things out. Okay, there was a little of that, but no more than reasonable and they don't take long to get to the point.

I had a hard time warming to either protagonist, however. Judith was a strange mix of bold and withdrawn that only barely maintained internal consistency. Unfortunately, her boldest moments involved pushing Ralf away and her most withdrawn were letting him push her. That se
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
For my views on the great narration by Roslyn Landor and my general inability to coherently review audiobooks, see my review to Slightly Married. Those comments apply as much for this book as they did for that one.

In terms of the content, the first half of this is absolutely a five star read for me. The seduction and romance and sex of Rannulf and Judith's mini-affair were absolutely top notch, particularly as narrated by Landor. I thought I was well on my way to the best Balogh I had read to d
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Slightly Wicked is one of the more depressing romances I've read so far without using certain tropes where you expect it to be a bit depressing, i.e. when the main character is a courtesan (Tempt the Devil by Anna Campbell comes to mind as a great example). Here you spend most of the story going through one scene to another where everyone and their uncle treats the heroine as if she doesn't deserve anything more. Well, almost everyone - her grandmother is decent enough and the hero is not horrib ...more
Saly
Darbella
♥Sharon♥
This one goes on my liked it but didn’t love it shelf. There really wasn’t anything that wowed me. Things just fell a bit flat.

Enjoyed listening to Rosalyn Landor though. 😊
Juliana Philippa
Thought I wasn't going to like it, but would definitely recommend as part of Bedwyn series (3.5 stars)

Slightly Wicked is the second in the Bedwyn Family book series and is about Lord Rannulf Bedwyn, the third oldest son. At first, I'll admit I wasn't as excited about this book as Balogh's other ones (I've read all but one of the other Bedwyn books). I hate to admit it, but reading the back summary I was somewhat put off by the idea that the heroine has a random wild fling with a stranger at the
Sonia189
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really liked! The hero is sweet and I had this aww moment when he decides to be a knight in shining armor...without the armor, lol.
I couldn't put this down, I needed to know what would happen next, although the path this was taking was predictable but the characters won me over.
Now I feel quite eager to read the rest of the series.
Iliada
In all fairness, this book shouldn't have stood a chance with me from the beginning. One-night-stand plot, which I dislike in CRs, and in a historical romance too?? But Slightly Wicked was a truly lovely read.
Oh, this was so good! Very different from the first book in the series--that one was more quiet and sweet, while this one had an absolutely delicious premise with a steamy start, and then a plot with soap opera levels of drama. I loved every minute of it! Still not as deeply touching as the Westcott books, but great fun.
Lorna
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars rounded up. Narration 5 stars as always with Roslyn Landor. Any book that can keep me listening almost nonstop deserves at least a 4.5 stars. I enjoyed the whole thing and the wonderful narration was just the icing on the cake! Now available on Audible Escape. Recommended to adult historical romance readers. So far this series has been amazing.
Lover of Romance
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance My Review Updated

In Slightly Wicked, we have our two main characters who by chance, meet on the road. They join forces and spend a passionate night together. A night neither of them forget. Our heroine is having little choice but to go to her Aunt's home, and become her and her grandmother's companion. She knows that due to the debts her brother has accumulated, that her family is on financial ruin. So she has no choice but to become a unpaid servant of
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
TOO MANY CONTRADICTIONS IN THE STORY!

The story starts out Ok and then your read one thing,then another that contradicts what you first read. For instance the hero Is Not Handsome but rather Unattractive and a few page later he is Very Handsome. Scenarios like this happen quite a bit in the story. The other thing that really got me was Rannaulf was suppose to have had mistresses in the past. He had a very high sex drive and had been with quite a few women. When he makes love to the heroine he doe
BJ
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
OK, I loved it despite the man-ho H, well he started that way. As usual, he took an opportunity and the h did too, and they had a fine time. I really liked them both, their characters were well developed, and the angst felt real and understandable. The bad guy was so OTT and I loved this book, a fantastic read.
Ira
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars.

Ok, so far this series has been a pleasant read but unfortunately nothing stand up:(
And should I read Freyja too?
Question question...
Asia
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought the last chapter kind of dragged but this was really good! I think Mary Balogh does a really good job of staying true to the time period. She's clearly done her research and it totally pays off. The language, the scenes and plot totally fit with the time and keep you in the story.

Both Judith and Rannulf were so lovely. I though Judith was a really strong character who knew what she wanted and wasn't afraid to stand up for herself. Perhaps stubborn to a fault though. And Rannulf was so
Sophia
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Onward to the next Bedwyn sibling's romantic adventure! And, what an adventure it is when Lord Rannulf and a young gentlewoman both pretend to be other than they are, have a few stolen days of passion, and then encounter one another in their real lives. Complicated only describes the half of it.

Sightly Wicked is book two in the Bedwyn Saga. It read best behind the earlier book as it referenced back and built on that story, but the reader could also pick it up standalone and do all right.

So, thir
Corduroy
More like 3.5.

I simultaneously think that Mary Balogh is a very good writer and sometimes her books drive me bananas. She has a couple of things that come up in almost every book, some of them, like the thing where the lady "slides her feet up the bed" to indicate maximum sexytimes, I roll my eyes at and try to overlook. But there's another one that sort of bothers me. READ ON FOR MY GRIPES.

In this book, the heroine is a young lady named Judith Law, who is headed to an aunt's home to be an unp
Renae
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Aside from one very unfortunate “horseback riding” scene, Mary Balogh has delivered yet another winner. I love her books (so far without exception), and Simply Wicked was great. With wonderful writing, fully-developed characters, and a plot unlike any I’ve found before in Regency romance, this book reminds me (again) of why historical romances are my #1 Fave.

The book starts off on a muddy, rainy day on the road somewhere in rural England. Judith Law is traveling to her aunt and uncle’s estate, w

• Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
  • Mine Till Midnight (The Hathaways, #1)
  • The Luckiest Lady in London (The London Trilogy #1)
  • First Comes Scandal (Rokesbys #4)
  • The Rake (Davenport, #2)
  • Seduce Me at Sunrise (The Hathaways, #2)
  • To Seduce A Sinner (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #2)
  • Tempt Me at Twilight (The Hathaways, #3)
  • Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1)
  • Love in the Afternoon (The Hathaways, #5)
  • A Dangerous Kind of Lady (Longhope Abbey, #2)
  • Suddenly You
  • The Raven Prince (Princes Trilogy, #1)
  • Just Like Heaven (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #1)
  • It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2)
  • Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2)
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
  • To Beguile a Beast (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #3)
Mary Jenkins was born in 1944 in Swansea, Wales, UK. After graduating from university, moved to Saskatchewan, Canada, to teach high school English, on a two-year teaching contract in 1967. She married her Canadian husband, Robert Balogh, and had three children, Jacqueline, Christopher and Sian. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, music and knitting. She also enjoys watching tennis and curl ...more

Bedwyn Saga (6 books)
  • Slightly Married (Bedwyn Saga, #1)
  • Slightly Scandalous (Bedwyn Saga, #3)
  • Slightly Tempted (Bedwyn Saga, #4)
  • Slightly Sinful (Bedwyn Saga, #5)
  • Slightly Dangerous (Bedwyn Saga, #6)