Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Still Me (Me Before You, #3)
This topic is about Still Me
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Moyes, Jojo-- Still Me informal buddy read starts June 8, 2018

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31609 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Still Me by Jojo Moyes.

Synopsis
From the #1 New York Times bestselling author Jojo Moyes, a new book featuring her iconic heroine of Me Before You and After You, Louisa Clark

Louisa Clark arrives in New York ready to start a new life, confident that she can embrace this new adventure and keep her relationship with Ambulance Sam alive across several thousand miles. She steps into the world of the superrich, working for Leonard Gopnik and his much younger second wife, Agnes. Lou is determined to get the most out of the experience and throws herself into her new job and New York life.

As she begins to mix in New York high society, Lou meets Joshua Ryan, a man who brings with him a whisper of her past. Before long, Lou finds herself torn between Fifth Avenue where she works and the treasure-filled vintage clothing store where she actually feels at home. And when matters come to a head, she has to ask herself: Who is Louisa Clark? And how do you reconcile a heart that lives in two places?

Funny, romantic, and poignant, Still Me follows Lou as she navigates how to stay true to herself, while pushing to live boldly in her brave new world

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 05, 2018 05:42PM) (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Laura | 9707 comments It will be nice to finish this series off!

megan | 1394 comments I'm in!!

Laura | 9707 comments Hi Megan!

megan | 1394 comments My copy should be arriving today.

Laura | 9707 comments Awesome,
my copy is due tomorrow; I will be incurring a late charge. I 'm not sending it back a third time without reading !!

megan | 1394 comments Just starting this tonight. Late to the game because my sister had an emergency c-section over the weekend and I’ve hardly gotten to sit down.
My thoughts from the end of After You: Don’t leave Sam!!!! Hot paramedic with chickens are too rare to give up, even if you think the distance will work!! Stupid, Lou. Stupid. Thumbs down. Boooo!

message 10: by Laura (last edited Jun 11, 2018 08:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura | 9707 comments Oh no, I hope your sister and the new baby are doing well. I think everyone is juggling RL and several buddy reads!

I'm on page 86 in chapter 8.
Through chapter 7
(view spoiler)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Hi everyone! I'm starting today.
Loved Me Before You and didn't care much about After You. I hope the third book will be good again.
I wish Lou finds her happy place.

Laura | 9707 comments HI Skandia,
Looking forward to your thoughts and chatting with you about the book!

I agree, I really hope she finds her happy place and this ends off the series.

message 13: by Laura (last edited Jun 17, 2018 07:12AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura | 9707 comments Through chapter 25
(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Finished
(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Ending(view spoiler)

megan | 1394 comments Ahhh!!! I need to finish this. I brought to read over lunch, but no one can ever leave me alone to read.

message 17: by megan (last edited Jun 16, 2018 10:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

megan | 1394 comments Up to chapter 18. I’ve tried to write this three times but my phone has destroyed the post every time. I was super mad to begin with.
(view spoiler)

And Treena: (view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments @ Megan
(view spoiler)

megan | 1394 comments Laura wrote: "Ending
HEA aside; Moyes has written a beautiful book about finding yourself and coping with grief and loss.
4 stars from me!"

I agree. (view spoiler)

message 20: by megan (last edited Jun 17, 2018 02:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

megan | 1394 comments Finally finished:
Jojo Moyes is one of my favorite authors. One Plus One is easily in my top 15 but there will always be a place in my heart for this series:
(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments (view spoiler)

Thanks for reading this one with me Megan! I 'm happy to finally have finished and am looking forward to her next book. Did you read this one? The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes

megan | 1394 comments Laura wrote: "
I agree; I like your ending better. It didn't need the HEA with Sam and it would have been more in tune with the other two books!

Thanks for reading this one with me Megan! I 'm happy to finall..."

Yes. It’s been a while, but I liked it. I remember enjoying two points of views from different time periods.

Cheryl | 905 comments I have begun the book today. I loved the first two, so I hope that this is everything I have hoped it would be!

Laura | 9707 comments Hi Cheryl,
looking forward to your thoughts. I'll come back and chat with you.

Cheryl | 905 comments I was excited to read all three books in the Me Before You series within this month. I loved the first book, was so-so about the second, but really just got frustrated with this final book in the series. I think it would have best for the series to have been a single book. I just wanted to shake most of the characters!

I think the most frustrating thing was the very shallow, self-absorbed characters. I have decided that the thing I loved about the relationship between Louisa and Will in the first was that it was not just based on sex, but a much deeper relationship where love is based on truly knowing a person and what is important. Louisa's relationship with Sam and then Josh was just so unsatisfying and juvenile to me. It took until the very end of the story for these adults to grow up and see what is really important in life and relationships.

It seemed that the only person who actually understood what was important in life was Mrs. DeWitt. She was the refreshing character of the novel. And then, I found myself loving Dean Martin...became so emotionally connected to the relationship between Mrs. DeWitt and Dean Martin.

Don't even know where to begin on the Gopniks! Do I like Agnes and feel sorry for her or do I despise her? Not sure. The choices she made just so bad, I really cannot comprehend! So, I guess in the end, she is a pitiful woman.

I guess there is a lot to be said about dehumanizing people and being more concerned about personal advancement. Louisa never fits into that world...but then decides to not leave it. That was probably the final piece that caused me frustration.

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Finally managed to get some reading in.

Up to chapter 12
(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments @Skandia
(view spoiler)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Laura, I agree. There will never be another story like Me Before You.

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Finished reading.

About the ending - I totally have to agree with megan's thoughts at message 20 above.
I loved the first book, not really cared for the second and this one is somewhere in between.
Still Louisa is probably one of my very favorite romance characters and I really enjoyed her story ending in New York.

@ Laura
(view spoiler)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Girl You Left Behind (other topics)
Still Me (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jojo Moyes (other topics)