Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Fate of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling, #3)
This topic is about The Fate of the Tearling
Previous BRs - Authors; I - L > Johansen, Erika--The Fate of the Tearling informal buddy read starts June 29, 2018

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss The Fate of the Tearling by Erika Johansen.

Synopsis
In less than a year, Kelsea Glynn has grown from an awkward teenager into a powerful monarch and a visionary leader.

And as she has come into her own as the Queen of the Tearling, she has transformed her realm. But in her quest to end corruption and restore justice, she has made many enemies - chief among them the evil and feared Red Queen, who ordered the armies of Mortmesne to march against the Tear and crush them.

To protect her people from such a devastating invasion, Kelsea did the unthinkable - naming the Mace, the trusted head of her personal guards, Regent in her place, she surrendered herself and her magical sapphires to her enemy. But the Mace will not rest until he and his men rescue their sovereign from her prison in Mortmesne.

So, the endgame has begun and the fate of Queen Kelsea - and the Tearling itself - will be revealed...

With The Fate of the Tearling, Erika Johansen draws her unforgettable story full of magic and adventure to a thrilling close.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 05, 2018 05:33PM) (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Annalisa | 1373 comments I'm looking forward to seeing how the series concludes. I'm joining from Team Severus Snape.

message 5: by Geri (last edited Jun 08, 2018 10:55AM) (new)

Geri | 2042 comments I’ll be back in a few weeks to discuss! Team Ginny Weasley.

Suzanne | 4268 comments I started this yesterday. I haven't really gotten "into" it yet, which is weird since I just barely finished (and enjoyed) the last one. But I'm looking forward to seeing how everything ends.

Annalisa | 1373 comments I'm a bit behind on buddy reads currently, but I'll get started soon.

Suzanne | 4268 comments Chapter 2 (view spoiler)

Kate S | 1967 comments I will be starting this one tomorrow. Hope there are still a few people around to discuss this.

Suzanne | 4268 comments Oh good - I kind of put it on the backburner, but I'll continue on. I really do want to finish this series!

Kate S | 1967 comments I have it downloaded for an accessible playground read tomorrow morning.

Annalisa | 1373 comments I'm hoping to start this one this weekend. I took on way way to many fantasy buddy reads and I keep needing to take breaks and read a romance or something a little lighter.

Suzanne | 4268 comments Through Chapter 7 - just a small thought (view spoiler)

Annalisa | 1373 comments Suzanne wrote: "Chapter 2 [spoilers removed]"

I completely agree with your spoiler. Glad we don't live in the Tearling.

Annalisa | 1373 comments I just finished Chapter 2 and so far I am really liking this. I wish I would have started it sooner. Sorry to have been slow Suzanne. I was/am reading a few books that have been a bit of a slog. One is finished now and I'm going to put the other one off until I finish this.

Thoughts through chapter 2: (view spoiler)

Suzanne | 4268 comments Oh no worries - I'm glad you are reading it - I've been going kind of slow, but I'm liking it.

I agree about your questions - there is SO much to learn. And only this book to do it in :) But I trust her - I think the answers will be interesting!

Annalisa | 1373 comments I just finished Book I which is through chapter five (view spoiler)

There is so much happening here. I hope it gets satisfactorily completed.

Suzanne | 4268 comments Annalisa wrote: "I just finished Book I which is through chapter five [spoilers removed]

There is so much happening here. I hope it gets satisfactorily completed."

Oh wow, I never thought about (view spoiler)

Suzanne | 4268 comments Through chapter 9 (view spoiler)

Annalisa | 1373 comments Suzanne wrote: "Annalisa wrote: "I just finished Book I which is through chapter five [spoilers removed]

There is so much happening here. I hope it gets satisfactorily completed."

Oh wow, I never thought about ..."

(view spoiler)

Annalisa | 1373 comments Suzanne wrote: "Through Chapter 7 - just a small thought (view spoiler)"

I agree. (view spoiler)

Annalisa | 1373 comments Suzanne wrote: "Through chapter 9 (view spoiler)"

I've also finished through chapter 9 now. This is moving quickly. (view spoiler)

Annalisa | 1373 comments Through chapter 10 (view spoiler)
Into Book III now.

Suzanne | 4268 comments I think Chapter 10 was (so far) the biggest chapter as far as events.
(view spoiler)

Annalisa | 1373 comments I finished the book last night.
(view spoiler)

Suzanne | 4268 comments I just finished and my first thought was hmmm...I don't know what to think. I need to see what Annalisa said! (view spoiler)

Annalisa | 1373 comments Row (view spoiler)

The rest of the ending - (view spoiler)

Suzanne | 4268 comments Ending (view spoiler)

Suzanne | 4268 comments Oh and wow - before the ending (view spoiler)

Annalisa | 1373 comments I agree the ending (view spoiler)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Fate of the Tearling (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Erika Johansen (other topics)