Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Gone with the Wind
This topic is about Gone with the Wind
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Mitchell, Margaret--Gone With the Wind informal buddy read starts June 19, 2018

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell.

Synopsis
Gone with the Wind is a novel written by Margaret Mitchell, first published in 1936. The story is set in Clayton County, Georgia, and Atlanta during the American Civil War and Reconstruction era. It depicts the struggles of young Scarlett O'Hara, the spoiled daughter of a well-to-do plantation owner, who must use every means at her disposal to claw her way out of the poverty she finds herself in after Sherman's March to the Sea. A historical novel, the story is a Bildungsroman or coming-of-age story, with the title taken from a poem written by Ernest Dowson.

Gone with the Wind was popular with American readers from the onset and was the top American fiction bestseller in the year it was published and in 1937. As of 2014, a Harris poll found it to be the second favorite book of American readers, just behind the Bible. More than 30 million copies have been printed worldwide

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 05, 2018 05:25PM) (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Why yes, I would love to read this. Team Draco.

message 5: by Tina ❣ (new) - added it

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Classic monstrosity... here we come!

(Team Tonks)

message 6: by Erika (new) - added it

Erika | 548 comments In! Team Newt Scamander

message 7: by Chie (last edited Jun 06, 2018 04:31AM) (new)

Chie (The Indecisive Reader) | 154 comments Hello to all!

Yasssssssssssss! I need to brace myself with this book. I had no idea that it has 1,000 pages. Lol!

message 8: by Em (new) - rated it 3 stars

Em (emmolga) Count me in as well! (Team Snape)

message 9: by Chie (new)

Chie (The Indecisive Reader) | 154 comments Em wrote: "Count me in as well! (Team Snape)"

Hello, Em! :)

message 10: by Chie (new)

Chie (The Indecisive Reader) | 154 comments Hello to all!

This is THE DAY! :)

message 11: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Ready! It's a long one, so it may take me a couple of weeks.
Juggling this with several others.

message 12: by Erika (new) - added it

Erika | 548 comments Yes! I set myself a daily reading goal so here’s hoping I can do that

message 13: by Em (new) - rated it 3 stars

Em (emmolga) to be completely honest, i didn't even know anything about the book until a couple of hours ago (i don't read synopsis oops), so i felt a bit unsure whether i want to read this book after all. but i've read a couple chapters and i think i can quite manage.

chapter 1 & 2 (view spoiler)

message 14: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Chapter 1
Em, I completely agree with you.

(view spoiler)

message 15: by Em (new) - rated it 3 stars

Em (emmolga) right? (view spoiler)

message 16: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments This is going to take me a while with all of the quidditch books this week. Had to pause.

I really want to smack Scarlett, though.

message 17: by Erika (new) - added it

Erika | 548 comments I am also super behind on this

message 18: by Chie (new)

Chie (The Indecisive Reader) | 154 comments Guys, I need more motivation to read this book! :( It makes me super sleepy. Ha!

message 19: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen  | 238 comments Haha - I wish I could join in for this, but I have too many books going on right now. Enjoy! I hope to get to this one someday soon.

message 20: by Erika (new) - added it

Erika | 548 comments Same here! I enjoy that the film seems to have taken the dialogue almost word for word but i’m making noooo progress

message 21: by Em (new) - rated it 3 stars

Em (emmolga) Erika, did you find the film interesting? i've completely forgotten this book had one and now i'm intrigued

message 22: by Erika (new) - added it

Erika | 548 comments Oh I adore the film! I’m a sucker for classics like that. In the little reading I’ve done- it definitely follows the book and the dialogue is almost exact.

message 23: by Erika (new) - added it

Erika | 548 comments It is extremely long so be ready to settle in of you decide to watch it

message 24: by Em (new) - rated it 3 stars

Em (emmolga) Erika wrote: "Oh I adore the film! I’m a sucker for classics like that. In the little reading I’ve done- it definitely follows the book and the dialogue is almost exact."

i love classic films as well so i might try watching it! i feel like the length will be compensated fully by the ending--at least that's what i think about the book. and if the film follows the book, then all the better :)

message 25: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) is anyone still reading this?

message 26: by Em (new) - rated it 3 stars

Em (emmolga) i'm up for discussion if you'd like!

message 27: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) yes!!! i'll be starting this this weekend!! will you be up for it then?

message 28: by Em (new) - rated it 3 stars

Em (emmolga) sure! i'm actually done with the book, so whenever should be fine

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments Finally started my copy of the book today. I read Chapters 1-4.

It's almost like seeing a longer version of the movie in my mind. I really enjoyed the back story of how Ellen married Gerald O'Hara, and it adds a lot to her character.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Gone with the Wind (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Margaret Mitchell (other topics)