YA LGBT Books discussion

Pride Reads - name fav YA LGBTQ > 11 - Favorite books with non-binary rep?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (last edited Jun 03, 2018 01:54PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16801 comments Favorite books with non-binary rep? Any good YA with bi-gender/agender/genderfluid or other non-binary characters? Any with good Intersex representation?

message 2: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16801 comments I have to put in a vote for Symptoms of Being Human - I really enjoyed this one, and appreciated that it didn't focus on bodies or biology, but on identity.

message 3: by Iamshadow (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments Though I could take or leave the books, I liked the treatment of the genderfluid character Toby in Honestly Ben.

message 4: by Kaje (last edited Jun 07, 2018 06:54AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16801 comments For intersex MCs I did really like Golden Boy and Waiting for Walker

message 5: by Ash (new)

Ash Ellithorne (wordwitch) | 1 comments I loved Mask of Shadows. I forget the author, but it's the first novel of a fantasy series about a nonbinary thief competing to become one of the Queen's elite assassins.

message 6: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16801 comments Mask of Shadows by Linsey Miller - I think it's this one.

message 7: by Jess (new)

Jess (typicaljess401) | 4 comments Symptoms of being Human. How can you NOT relate to the character.

message 8: by Hulttio (new)

Hulttio Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides is an incredible book, a classic for intersex representation. Not to mention it has a fantastic plot structure as well with dynamic storytelling.

message 9: by Iamshadow (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments Ukko wrote: "Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides is an incredible book, a classic for intersex representation. Not to mention it has a fantastic plot structure as well with dynamic storytelling."

That's one of those books I've always meant to read. I've been hesitant, though, because I didn't know what actually intersex people thought of it.

message 10: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) | 69 comments I really liked Laura Lam's Pantomime and its sequals - I thought she did the MC very well.

message 11: by Caleigh Rose (new)

Caleigh Rose (caleighrosebud) | 1 comments Just finished I Wish You All The Best by Mason Deaver. It’s the first non-binary rep book I’ve read and I enjoyed it a lot. Started reading after my fiancée finished it and wanted to talk about it with someone.

message 12: by Kaje (last edited Jan 15, 2020 07:05AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16801 comments Caleigh wrote: "Just finished I Wish You All The Best by Mason Deaver. It’s the first non-binary rep book I’ve read and I enjoyed it a lot. Started reading after my fiancée finished it and wanted to talk about it ..."

That was such a good book - I really enjoyed it. It got to the finals of the Goodreads awards in YA too. (It was one of our books of the month reads.)

message 13: by Mere (last edited Jul 17, 2020 03:12PM) (new)

Mere Rain | 64 comments I'm currently reading Alexis Hall's The Affair of the Mysterious Letter, which is a sort of Sherlock Holmes/HP Lovecraft fantasy adventure with a trans narrator. It's established at the start that the MC left home because his family didn't accept their daughter being a man, but after that John is consistently "he" and no comments on it, which is kind of refreshing.

It's not YA but the narrator is from a strict religious background and prudishly ---- --- ----- any sexual references or swearing in a way that ends up being funny rather than graphic, so I don't think anyone would be uncomfortable with the content.

message 14: by Stella (new)

Stella ☆Paper Wings☆ | 8 comments I love Mask of Shadows! I also really like Anna Marie McLemore's Blanca & Roja where one of the main characters is genderfluid, Jen Wilde's The Brightsiders with a nonbinary love interest and side character, and The Brilliant Death by Amy Rose Capetta which plays with genderfluidity and magic. I also really like the later books in Traci Chee's The Reader trilogy for the fact that they have multiple nonbinary side characters and it's completely normalized!

message 15: by Sally ✨ (new)

Sally ✨ (tratiezone) | 7 comments Meet Cute Diary with non-binary rep and author!

message 16: by Lola (new)

Lola | 1 comments Both Can Be True by Jules Machias has a gender fluid character, although my fav would be I Wish You All The Best

message 17: by Rez (new)

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) The Ghosts We Keep has a non-binary MC. I'm not done getting emotionally wrecked by the book to know if it tops Symptoms of Being Human, but it's at least in the contention to land a 5-star rating if not on my favorites list.

message 19: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16801 comments Juuso wrote: "I Wish You All the Best !!!"

That was a great story - was one of our books of the month.