Start by marking “I Wish You All the Best” as Want to Read:
I Wish You All the Best

I Wish You All the Best

When Ben De Backer comes out to their parents as nonbinary, they're thrown out of their house and forced to move in with their estranged older sister, Hannah, and her husband, Thomas, whom Ben has never even met. Struggling with an anxiety disorder compounded by their parents' rejection, they come out only to Hannah, Thomas, and their therapist and try to keep a low profil ...more
Published May 14th 2019 by Push

Chaima ✨ شيماء
Full review now posted HERE on my blog

The Mona Lisa was found trembling in the Louvre Museum because of this cover.
Kai
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Don't ignore the problems. Learn from them. But also don't knock what you get right. Every success deserves a celebration."

Oh the feeling of mile-high expectations actually being fulfilled: pure bliss. I have waited so long for this book to be released and it checks every single box. A wonderful, emotional, important and romantic read.

I Wish You All the Best tells the story of Ben, who is nonbinary, who prefers the pronouns they & them, who, after coming out to their parents, is kicked out
Mason Deaver
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Well I wrote this book, so my review is probably biased?

Either way... this is the book of my heart, I never thought people would believe in this story, but I've never been happier to be so, so, so wrong. This book may be the closest I get to writing myself. It deals with anxiety, depression, coming out and identity, and first love, and it's absolutely so important to me.

I hope you all enjoy it when you get the chance to read it.
Alice Oseman
A soft, sweet, and incredibly important story about a non-binary teen finding their voice. This book is going to be so important to so many people.
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
I am finally going to be able to read Mason’s book. CAN YOU BELIEVE??!

Update after reading - December 3rd, 2018
*4.5/5
This book has not been undersold in the least. It is heartfelt, loving, difficult, and wonderful in every way. Becky’s blurb isn’t lying - it is indeed quietly groundbreaking and will, without a doubt, save lives. Prepare yourselves for an incredible, beautiful debut in 2019, friends.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was suUuUuUuUuch a great read. I learned so much and also just fell head over heels for these characters. What an important book!

TW: misgendering, homophobia, anxiety, depression
Larry H
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yes, yes, YES. I loved this book so much!

Ben De Backer has finally decided it's time they come out to their parents as nonbinary. While Ben knows their parents, particularly their father, are difficult and have strong religious beliefs, in the end Ben thinks that their parents should be okay with their coming out. Ben is their child after all, right?

Ben couldn't have been more wrong. Their parents kick Ben out of the house and with nowhere to turn, not even shoes on their feet, Ben turns to thei
Lola
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of story that could change your life.
✨    jamieson   ✨
"whatever happens, I wish you all the best, Ben De Backer

THIS WAS EVERYTHING. This is such a groundbreaking YA book following a non-binary teen that is genuinely going to change lives. It was sadder than I expected, with more of a family focus rather than romance, but I really loved what it was doing and how it covered so much in such a short time.

Ben was a great main character, I liked that their reactions seemed realistic for the situation, and I felt they were a character that 'existed' ra
April (Aprilius Maximus)
"Sometimes the world is too loud."

I loved this book so, so, so, so, SO much. Knowing this book will mean so much to non-binary folks (teens especially!) fills my heart with so much happiness. Thank you for this beautiful story, Mason! <3
Emma
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
The ARC of this book was provided by Scholastic via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Full review here

I think this book is going to mean so much for so many people.
First of all, I think it's important to say that this book is own voices so the author surely knows what they are talking about.
This book tells the story of Ben, a teenager who identifies as non-binary. After coming out to their parents Ben is kicked out of their home. Thankfully their sister Hannah takes them in and help
Jananie (thisstoryaintover)
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
THIS WAS SO WHOLESOME OMG. such good non-binary rep, but also a super cute romance and a really emotional family story
Dylan
4.5 stars.

I LOVED this. Great representation, pacing, and I haven't shipped two people together in such a long time!

This is 4.5 for me though because for some reason, while the writing is great, I felt myself not feeling as emotionally attached to the characters as I'd like to be, but I'm positive that the very minor problem will fixed in Mason's second novel.

This is SUCH an important novel (it being the first own voices non-binary experience I've ever read), and Deaver will soon be an even bigg
kav (xreadingsolacex)
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
disclaimer: i received an ARC in exchange for an honest review, this in no way impacted my review.

trigger warnings: rejection from parents after coming out (challenged), panic attacks

Finally, after my third time reading this brilliant gift to the young-adult world, I can share my review of I Wish You All the Best by Mason Deaver.

I Wish You All the Best is a young-adult contemporary about Ben De Backer, a non-binary teen who is thrown out of their house after coming out to their parents, who
Iris
This book was... wow. I don't even have words for this book. It was fantastic. It was beautiful and heartbreaking and so so so important. I cannot recommend it enough.
Lily ☁️
I need new words for “disappointment”, because there don’t seem to be nearly enough to cover all the various shades of it that befall me owing to a myriad of books (including this one, if my words weren’t pointed enough).

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | TumblrBloglovin’
Hollis
I'm leaving this one unrated because I honestly don't know what to give it. In so many ways it's such an important and relevant read and I'm so happy this'll be out in the world soon and that people will see themselves in it or identify with aspects of the journey described within. But at the same time.. it's not happy, it's often hard, and it's far from your typical fluffy YA -- which, to be fair, was something I knew going into this so I'm not throwing shade or anything; and not that I need al ...more
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
I read this one twice already and i can tell y'all it's a game changer.

Get on it !!!!!
Ava
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I've read this book twice already and I can say with great confidence that I'll be rereading it many times in the future. It is THAT good.
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
A much-needed story that I’m so glad is being published! 💚
Elise (TheBookishActress)
releases: 28 May 2019
this sounds so freaking cool and all my friends love it so much and I'm so excited
I loved this! It was sadder than I thought it would be but Ben was great and Nathan deserves the world. Small rtc
Joshee Kun (조수아)
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you, Scholastic, for giving me an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

There are no fireworks. Time doesn't stop. And I don't mind; I don't think he does either. Because this has been in the making for so long.

I Wish You All the Best is one of the most informative books that I've read this year. If you're sick of the unrealistic romance in YA contemporary, this one won't disappoint you. I'm not sure if it's a genre thing, but I have a hypothesis that queer books rarely have in
Boston
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars-2019
I’ll type out a full review once this water in my eyes clears. Allergies and such.
Adriana
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 Stars

The book of my dreams. The book of my heart.

Real, authentic, bittersweet and unfalteringly hopeful. This story is a much needed reminder that we all owe it to ourselves to strive for happiness and that the best is yet to come 💖
milou  ☁️
"Can't spell 'subtext' without 'butt sex'. "

When Benjamin comes out to their parents as nonbinary they are kicked out of their house. Even after Benjamin hasn't had contact with their sister Hannah for ten years she and her husband Thomas, which Ben has never met before, take them in. Benjamin is struggling with their mental health as they have to enrol back into his final year of high school at a new school, which brings Nathan into their life.

Girl in a jacket

This very book right here is a book that I thin
•°• gabs •°•
FUCK. ME. UP.
i'm absolutely certain that i will never be able to write a review for this because my heart is bursting with too many emotions.

but just,,,, READ THIS BOOK FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

tw: depression, anxiety, misgendering.
evelyn hugo’s #1 fan
this is the first book ever that i've felt FULLY represented by - sexuality, gender, and mental illness wise - and it means the entire world to me. ben de backer is in my top three favourite main characters of aLl time. they mean so much to me, a genderfluid person who is very much not cisgender. also i VERY MUCH headcanon ben as having ptsd like me because my child is very very fucked up by events that happen early on in the novel that idk if i can share yet oops. i have so many theories i want ...more
Kayleigh
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars.

“I didn’t say you shouldn’t feel sad. I’m just saying you need to prove them wrong...Be sad, hell, sit in bed all weekend and just watch Netflix. I’ve had those times too. But don’t stop living your life for them.”

I Wish You All the Best follows Ben De Backer, who has recently come out to their parents as nonbinary and was thrown out of their house because of it. Ben then has to move in with their estranged older sister, Hannah, and her husband, Thomas, whom Ben has never met. Hannah is
YA LGBT Books: * June 2019 BotM - I Wish You All the Best (poss spoilers) 2 20 Jun 17, 2019 08:25AM

• Tell Me How You Really Feel
  • The Music of What Happens
  • Full Disclosure
  • Kings, Queens, and In-Betweens
  • Going Off Script
  • Technically, You Started It
  • Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)
  • A Place For Wolves
  • Like a Love Story
  • You Asked for Perfect
  • Hope and Other Punchlines
  • Reverie
Mason Deaver is a non-binary author and librarian in a small town in North Carolina where the word ‘y’all’ is used in abundance.

When they aren’t writing or working, they’re typically found in their kitchen baking something that’s bad for them, or out in their garden complaining about the toad that likes to dig holes around their hydrangeas.