Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Catch of the Day (Gideon's Cove, #1)
This topic is about Catch of the Day
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Higgans Kristen ; Catch of the Day (Gideon's Cove #1) ; Informal Buddy Read ; Starts 17 June 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31609 comments Mod

Synopsis
First date à la Maggie: Take one lovelorn diner owner (me), a generous helping of nosy local gossips, a dollop of envy at married sister's perfect life, a splash of divine intervention (my matchmaking priest). Combine ingredients with one adorable puppy, add a strong but silent lobsterman with a hidden heart of gold and watch the sparks fly

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31609 comments Mod

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

Annalisa | 1362 comments My book came in at the library, so I will join this Buddy read. I'm looking forward to a light summer read.

Sharon (sharon_alexandr) | 425 comments I'm planning to join in as well!

Michelle's Empty Nest (mlundy5) | 917 comments I hope to join you also!

Amy the book-bat (batkisses) | 823 comments I see I am a day early, but I just listened to this one today since I had to return the copy I had checked out. Anyway, I thought that parts of this book were really cute, but then other parts kind of wore on me. I was getting really tired of the (view spoiler) I did find Maggie's dating failures to be rather humorous. Then having her priest help set her up made it a little funnier. Of course, it was obvious from the beginning which couple would end up together. I did love the very end when (view spoiler).

I'm curious to see how others feel about the book. It was a nice diversion for a summer afternoon.

Suzanne | 4263 comments Nothing wrong with being a day early!

My copy has a boat on the cover - it is cute, but not as cute as the cover above with the puppy :)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments I'll be joining this one since Audible had it on audio :) Perfect for food prep tomorrow!

Suzanne | 4263 comments Yay Cathy - I'm so glad we get to read some books together this summer!

And I'm glad you said something about audible - I have that romance package too - I downloaded this on kindle from my library, but I'm going to get the audio as well since my current listen is almost done.

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Me too Suzanne!!!!! :D

Yep I love that Romance pkg, get so many more books "read" because of it! I'm heading to the store to buy a couple things and then starting my food prep. Fun times!

Suzanne | 4263 comments The prologue made me laugh - nice embarrassing set of circumstances :)

Annalisa | 1362 comments Suzanne wrote: "The prologue made me laugh - nice embarrassing set of circumstances :)"

The prologue is great. I love how it just seems like another day in Maggie's life and she is always doing embarrassing things.

Annalisa | 1362 comments Amy "the book-bat" wrote: "I see I am a day early, but I just listened to this one today since I had to return the copy I had checked out. Anyway, I thought that parts of this book were really cute, but then other parts kind..."

I agree with both of your comments. Ending: (view spoiler)

Annalisa | 1362 comments I sat down and read this in one sitting. Very typical for me and cute books like this. Let me just say that Colonel, Maggies dog, is what really first got me. Although I also found the opening to be funny.

Middle of the book Chapter 20 (view spoiler)

End of the book (view spoiler)

Overall I liked the humor in this novel and the story was fun.

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2240 comments Suzanne wrote: "The prologue made me laugh - nice embarrassing set of circumstances :)"

Ouch, so embarrassing. Poor Maggie. She had a week to tell practically everyone in town about the new guy, so they could all witness the humiliation.

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments So far I like it, its cute! Definitely light-hearted and funny, perfect for today.

Thru Chpt 5 - (view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2240 comments ch 2

(view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2240 comments Ch 3 -4

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Cathy M. (last edited Jun 17, 2018 07:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Oh. My. God.

Chpt 19 - (view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2240 comments ch 5- 12

Spaghetti Dinner (view spoiler)

Dates (view spoiler)

Suzanne | 4263 comments Through Chapter 2
(view spoiler)

Suzanne | 4263 comments Through Chapter 12

Malone (view spoiler)

Dates (view spoiler)

Skip (view spoiler)

Laura | 3924 comments Starting this evening. I'm hoping to get a few chapters in before I fall asleep.

Laura | 3924 comments Just finished the prologue. Is Malone interested in her?

Laura | 3924 comments Chapter 19

(view spoiler)

Laura | 3924 comments Just starting chapter 24

(view spoiler)

Laura | 3924 comments Chapter 26

(view spoiler)

Annalisa | 1362 comments Most of us are part of a TT so I wanted to check and see what others thought. Do you think this book is fluffy? I know it is chick-lit. I'm on the fence for fluffy because of chapter 19. What do you all think?

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Annalisa wrote: "Most of us are part of a TT so I wanted to check and see what others thought. Do you think this book is fluffy? I know it is chick-lit. I'm on the fence for fluffy because of chapter 19. What do yo..."

I'd say yes to fluffy chick-lit!

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Finished last night -

(view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "ch 5- 12

Spaghetti Dinner [spoilers removed]

Dates ..."

You are so right, that is odd!

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Laura wrote: "Chapter 19

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2240 comments Cathy M. wrote: "Oh. My. God.

Chpt 19 - . ..."

(view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2240 comments Laura wrote: "Just starting chapter 24

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Annalisa | 1362 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "ch 2

[spoilers removed]"

I agree the dates were maybe my favorite part. So funny.

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2240 comments Laura wrote: "Chapter 26

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

SandyL | 4450 comments My copy just became available in overdrive, so I'm going to start today

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2240 comments Cathy M. wrote: "Finished last night - -..."

I agree with pretty much everything you said. (view spoiler)

Laura | 3924 comments Annalisa wrote: "Most of us are part of a TT so I wanted to check and see what others thought. Do you think this book is fluffy? I know it is chick-lit. I'm on the fence for fluffy because of chapter 19. What do yo..."

I say yes to fluffy.

Laura | 3924 comments Finished this afternoon. I really liked it. I do agree with the comments that say (view spoiler)

SandyL | 4450 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "ch 2

[spoilers removed]"

Yep - a bizarre date! I'm not happy with Father Tim! (view spoiler)

Annalisa | 1362 comments SandyL wrote: "Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "ch 2

[spoilers removed]"

Yep - a bizarre date! I'm not happy with Father Tim! [spoilers removed]"

I felt the same way as you did.

Annalisa | 1362 comments Laura wrote: "Chapter 19

[spoilers removed]"

It's always always (view spoiler)

Annalisa | 1362 comments Cathy M. wrote: "Finished last night -

(view spoiler)"

I agree with what you said about (view spoiler)

SandyL | 4450 comments Just finished Chapter 8 where Maggie went (view spoiler)

Suzanne | 4263 comments Sandy (view spoiler)

And from all the spoiler comments, I knew something was coming up in Chapter 19. (view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Laura wrote: "Finished this afternoon. I really liked it. I do agree with the comments that say [spoilers removed]"

Not really spoiler but (view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments SandyL wrote: "Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "ch 2

[spoilers removed]"

Yep - a bizarre date! I'm not happy with Father Tim! [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Suzanne wrote: "Sandy [spoilers removed]

And from all the spoiler comments, I knew something was coming up in Chapter 19. [spoilers removed]"

Chpt 19 - (view spoiler)

Suzanne | 4263 comments Chapter 19 (view spoiler)

« previous 1