Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

To Kill a Kingdom
This topic is about To Kill a Kingdom
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Christo Alexandra ; To Kill a Kingdom ; Informal Buddy Read Starts 17 June 2018

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31609 comments Mod

Synopsis
Princess Lira is siren royalty and the most lethal of them all. With the hearts of seventeen princes in her collection, she is revered across the sea. Until a twist of fate forces her to kill one of her own. To punish her daughter, the Sea Queen transforms Lira into the one thing they loathe most—a human. Robbed of her song, Lira has until the winter solstice to deliver Prince Elian’s heart to the Sea Queen or remain a human forever.

The ocean is the only place Prince Elian calls home, even though he is heir to the most powerful kingdom in the world. Hunting sirens is more than an unsavory hobby—it’s his calling. When he rescues a drowning woman in the ocean, she’s more than what she appears. She promises to help him find the key to destroying all of sirenkind for good—But can he trust her? And just how many deals will Elian have to barter to eliminate mankind’s greatest enemy?

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31609 comments Mod

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

Sail ♛ A Wicked Reader (sailordowden) | 230 comments Hey guys! Team Remus Lupin here. I'm excited to start this buddy read! I've had it on my shelf for weeks lol

Elen | 1110 comments I am in, Team Hermione!

So excited to read it. Have heard only good things about this book :)

Sail ♛ A Wicked Reader (sailordowden) | 230 comments Same here (:

Lexi | 3104 comments This is going to be fun

message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon O'Flynn | 294 comments Cant wait!!

Elen | 1110 comments I will start reading it later tonight, just got the book from the library.

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments I read this when it came out and it easily became one of this year's faves! Enjoy ladies!

message 10: by Lexi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lexi | 3104 comments I am halfway. I am enjoying it so far and will be interested to see how it ends. (view spoiler)

Sail ♛ A Wicked Reader (sailordowden) | 230 comments I'm glad to hear that Kathleen! I'm about 80 pages in so far and really enjoying it.

message 12: by Elen (last edited Jun 18, 2018 12:12PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elen | 1110 comments Chapter 1 - 14

So far I like the book, but I am not so keen on it. I like writing style, but some descriptions or storytelling is in some places too slow/long.

Other thought:
(view spoiler)

Overall I hope that in further chapters book will get more interesting, action-packed.

message 13: by Claire (last edited Jun 18, 2018 02:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Claire  | 3800 comments I'm intrigued by this dark little mermaid retelling. It's been on my radar since it was announced. I'm going to start it tonight.

Claire  | 3800 comments Just a thought on Mermaids and Sirens.

It's so weird to me that there's such a big difference between the two because in french they are both translated with the same word: sirène. "The Little Mermaid" is thus "La Petite Sirène". I've always thought Sirens and Mermaids were one and the same, and the fact that they were kind or evil creatures was basically the author's choice. For me the two were synonymous, with one word being english and the other refering to the ancient greek name. I never imagined the difference would be more significant than that.
Have you always thought Mermaids and Sirens to be different kinds of creatures? Or, are did you think like me that they were the same?

message 15: by Lexi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lexi | 3104 comments ✿ Claire ✿ ~ Foxgard wrote: "Just a thought on Mermaids and Sirens.

It's so weird to me that there's such a big difference between the two because in french they are both translated with the same word: sirène. "The Little Mer..."

Sirens were all human or even part bird in Greek mythology if I am remembering at all correctly. They both drown sailors though.

message 16: by Lexi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lexi | 3104 comments I finished. It was a lacking something overall. I don't think it needed to be longer but the ending seemed rushed. (view spoiler)

Claire  | 3800 comments Lexi wrote: "✿ Claire ✿ ~ Foxgard wrote: "Just a thought on Mermaids and Sirens.

It's so weird to me that there's such a big difference between the two because in french they are both translated with the same ..."

Really? I always thought they were half fish like mermaids, even in greek mythology. Aaaah, the confusion a language can cause !

Claire  | 3800 comments Elen wrote: "Chapter 1 - 14

So far I like the book, but I am not so keen on it. I like writing style, but some descriptions or storytelling is in some places too slow/long.

Other thought:
I really like how si..."

I like the writing style, too. And it doesn't bother me that it's a bit slow. I quite like it in fact. It allows me sink it all in.

(view spoiler)

Sail ♛ A Wicked Reader (sailordowden) | 230 comments ✿ Claire ✿ ~ Foxgard wrote: "Elen wrote: "Chapter 1 - 14

Other thought:
I reall..."

Me too Claire! I don't mind that it's a bit slow because I'm highly enjoying this world and the characters. I'm loving the writing style and would definitely be interested in picking up any other books she writes!

Chapter 34

(view spoiler)

Sail ♛ A Wicked Reader (sailordowden) | 230 comments What does everyone think of the mermen?

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Elen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elen | 1110 comments Sailor wrote: "What does everyone think of the mermen?

[spoilers removed]"

I think they are disgusting, but they give the story something new, different. I like their description (view spoiler)

message 22: by Elen (last edited Jun 19, 2018 02:08PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elen | 1110 comments Chapters 15 - 28

I like the story more and more with every chapter I read. I would agree with Sailor statement that (view spoiler)

I love how the author describes every kingdom and what are the best characteristics for them.

(view spoiler)

message 23: by Heli (new) - rated it 3 stars

Heli | 392 comments Joining in from team Newt Scamander

I've reached chapter 10 now. It's a really slow start for me at least. Every time I try to read ahead I get really sleepy and end up taking a nap instead.

I don't know what to think of Lira or Elian yet. At the moment I dislike them both.

message 24: by Elen (last edited Jun 20, 2018 08:07AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elen | 1110 comments Finished.

Overall I liked the book, but I have to say it's overhyped. Well written retelling!

I loved the ending aka action between (view spoiler)

message 25: by Tina ❣ (last edited Jun 22, 2018 05:57AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1907 comments Oh no I missed this some how!
I started this in May and then saw this thread but I think I forgot to check in. I was actually enjoying it

Are you still reading this Heli?

(Team Tonks)

Claire  | 3800 comments Sailor wrote: "What does everyone think of the mermen?

[spoilers removed]"

they sound (view spoiler)

Claire  | 3800 comments Tina wrote: "Oh no I missed this some how!
I started this in May and then saw this thread but I think I forgot to check in. I was actually enjoying it

(Team Tonks)"

I haven't finished it, yet. I'm here to discuss if you still want to :)

Claire  | 3800 comments Elen wrote: "Chapters 15 - 28

I like the story more and more with every chapter I read. I would agree with Sailor statement that [spoilers removed]

I love how the author describes every kingdom and what are ..."

Yess to all of the above !
I'm really loving it. It's so interesting and well written. And it doesn't feel too tropy, which is good for YA.
(view spoiler)

Claire  | 3800 comments Finished !!!
I adored it ! Simply put, it was amazing. haha. One of the best retellings I've ever read.

Tina, if you still want to read it I'll stay to dicuss :)

message 30: by Heli (new) - rated it 3 stars

Heli | 392 comments Tina wrote: "Oh no I missed this some how!

(Team Tonks)"

I'm still reading. I should be done by tomorrow. I don't like the writing style. That is why I have such a hard time reading it. I feel like I'm grinding through it.

Claire  | 3800 comments Heli wrote: "Tina wrote: "Oh no I missed this some how!

(Team Tonks..."

I'm really sorry to hear that ! Are you far into the book?

message 32: by Heli (new) - rated it 3 stars

Heli | 392 comments ✿ Claire ✿ ~ Foxgard wrote: "Heli wrote: "Tina wrote: "Oh no I missed this some how!

Are you still reading this Heli?..."

I have 100 pages left. I can do this!

message 33: by Claire (last edited Jun 24, 2018 12:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Claire  | 3800 comments Heli wrote: "✿ Claire ✿ ~ Foxgard wrote: "Heli wrote: "Tina wrote: "Oh no I missed this some how!

Are..."

Yes !!!

But more seriously. I hope you'll like it better from now. I really liked the ending of the book :)

message 34: by Elen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elen | 1110 comments Heli wrote: "I have 100 pages left. I can do this! "

Heli, I wasn't a fan of the beginning, but the end was much better!
You can do it :D

Sail ♛ A Wicked Reader (sailordowden) | 230 comments ✿ Claire ✿ ~ Foxgard wrote: "Finished !!!
I adored it ! Simply put, it was amazing. haha. One of the best retellings I've ever read.

Tina, if you still want to read it I'll stay to dicuss :)"

It was one of my favorite retellings too! The changes she made were far more interesting than The Little Mermaid itself, in my opinion. Glad you enjoyed it as well (:

Claire  | 3800 comments Sailor wrote: "✿ Claire ✿ ~ Foxgard wrote: "Finished !!!

Tina, if you still want to read it I'll stay to dicuss :)"

It..."

I have to agree that it's actually better, or at least more interesting, than the original tale and the disney movie, as much as I love the disney. The characters have so much more depth (which I guess is normal) and that makes all the difference.

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1907 comments Thanks Claire!

I've managed to read up to pg 26, Chapter 14.
So far I'm liking it. I've notice that the sirens language is actually Greek. And a lot of the land names are Greek as well. Psemata means lies, Kleftes means thieves...

Claire - I'm liking the Prince's and Lira's attitudes as well. But I do agree with Heli about the writing style. At some points my attention wavers.

The re-telling is quite interesting! For one, we have sirens, not mermaids and I think Christo mase the mermaids her own. Especially the mermen. I am enjoying the plot so far! I'm going to try and finish it within the next three hours

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1907 comments I ended up finishing it tonight Finally!
I agree Elen. The end was much better. I actually liked the battle between mother and daughter.

Claire  | 3800 comments Tina wrote: "Thanks Claire!

I've managed to read up to pg 26, Chapter 14.
So far I'm liking it. I've notice that the sirens language is actually Greek. And a lot of the land names are Greek as well. Psemata m..."

Greek, huh? Thanks for sharing. I was wondering if it was a made-up language or not :)

Claire  | 3800 comments Tina wrote: "I ended up finishing it tonight Finally!
I agree Elen. The end was much better. I actually liked the battle between mother and daughter."

The ending was so good. The book only got better and better for me :)

message 41: by Heli (new) - rated it 3 stars

Heli | 392 comments It looks like I won't be finishing this today, but tomorrow. I'm reading other books on the side.

I'm slowly warming up to the story. Elian and Lira have great chemistry and I enjoy their conversations.

I'm really looking forward to the ending. It must be something spectacular.