Lucy Preston Literary Society discussion

Timeless for Children > Timeless inspired Kid books

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura1865s (new)

Laura1865s | 7 comments Hi, all. I realize this group is for adults but I have been accumulating kids books for my 11 & 9 year olds to read relating to the times or historical figures in the episodes. ( Thank you Timeless for getting my 11 yr old to be interested in reading!)
Would anyone be interested in me making a list of what I have so far? and maybe adding any kid books you all know of.
If there is interest I can just make a text list in this discussion or I can add the books to the group which ever is preferred.
(full disclosure, it would take me a bit to do as I'm going away for a few days soon)

message 2: by Gina (new)

Gina Weber | 7 comments I just saw a kid book about Bass Reeves. Two of them actually. Not sure if you have any of those on your list. One is Bad News for Outlaws, and the other is The Legend of Bass Reeves.

message 3: by Julia (new)

Julia Bair (juliabair) | 1 comments I would definitely suggest Magic Tree House. There are about 40 books in the whole series and they are I think 100 pages long (easy reads for younger kids). They are almost all historical and very accurate. I would 100% recommend these books, you can buy them anywhere and they’d keep your kids busy since there are so many! I hope this helps! They really helped me develop my love of history when I was young. -Julia

message 4: by Laura1865s (new)

Laura1865s | 7 comments Julia wrote: "I would definitely suggest Magic Tree House. There are about 40 books in the whole series and they are I think 100 pages long (easy reads for younger kids). They are almost all historical and very ..."
We love Magic Tree House in our house ;) We have read them all :)
Lately we have read a lot of the Who was was type books (where we get a lot of Timeless inspired biographies)
And my son likes the Totally True Adventures series & was super excited to read their book about Charles Lindberg after episode 1x14 but was kind of disappointed to find out some of the "bad stuff" about him

message 5: by angela (new)

angela | 2 comments The Magic Tree house series is AMAZING! tbh I still peruse some of them, and I’m in my 20s! That’s how impactful they were to me!

message 6: by Laura1865s (new)

Laura1865s | 7 comments Gina wrote: "I just saw a kid book about Bass Reeves. Two of them actually. Not sure if you have any of those on your list. One is Bad News for Outlaws, and the other is The Legend of Bass Reeves."
I actually hadn't found a Bass Reeves kids book. I will check them out thanks :)

message 7: by Gina (new)

Gina Weber | 7 comments Have you read any of the ‘I Survived’ books? I’d say they are a little step up from Magic Tree House. I met the author at my school and was impressed by the amount of research she does for each of her books.

message 8: by Laura1865s (new)

Laura1865s | 7 comments Gina wrote: "Have you read any of the ‘I Survived’ books? I’d say they are a little step up from Magic Tree House. I met the author at my school and was impressed by the amount of research she does for each of ..."
My son read the I survived about the Titanic. They are a bit of a jump up in reading level from Magic Tree House. I liked that it was so informative and he seemed to like it

message 9: by Risha (new)

Risha (rishareads) | 5 comments Laura, I would be interested in your list of kids books as well! Or anyone's for that matter!

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie W | 7 comments Not necessarily Timeless-related but I loved Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys, mostly because the characters seemed to know a bit about everything! Each book got me interested in a new skill or subject. Also they built up my vocabulary, haha
Hope that helps :)
-Steph

message 11: by Sarah (last edited Jun 01, 2018 09:08PM) (new)

Sarah (sarahreadsroyals) | 20 comments I LOVE Dear America series when I was a child, and I know it's not directly Timeless related but only recently I just dusted off some of my books on the shelf and they just reminded me the fact that future Lucy wrote in her journals and I thought it's good relation. :) Also, at end of each books have a short bio about the history.

message 12: by Rosalina (new)

Rosalina | 5 comments Laura, I love this thread. Thanks for starting it. I need recommendations for my kids. I will look through our collection tomorrow to see if there is anything I can add.

message 13: by madsenmel (new)

madsenmel | 5 comments My niece and nephew (3 and 5) are obsessed with the I Survived books. When my nephew found out I was going to Italy on vacation, he very seriously warned me to be careful in Pompeii because there was a big, dangerous volcano there! I think they have the whole series...

message 14: by Rachelle (new)

Rachelle | 1 comments My 4 year old really like the Ordinary People Change the World Series and we listen to the Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls podcast (she’s getting the books for her birthday)

message 15: by Aileen (new)

Aileen | 20 comments I find that the Mighty Girls site has a good list of books for kids. You can search by topic and age. Here's a link to their history books for all ages. It's my go to for book presents for the kids in my extended family. https://www.amightygirl.com/books?cat=74

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather Wise | 3 comments I teach fifth grade and huge Timeless fan. I would definitely recommend Magic Schoolbus, Dear America and My America, I Survived, a biographical series that is called Who was..., and You Wouldn’t Want to Be...

If anyone wants specific historical figures or event book recommendations or activities to go along, give a shout. I’m almost to my summer break and am happy to help.

message 18: by Des (new)

Des | 2 comments I love this. Hamilton inspired my boys to read about and love history. My 10 year old loves timeless.

message 19: by Mona (new)

Mona A few more time-travel books, YA or middle-grade, depending on your children's reading levels and sensitivities:

A Wish After Midnight by Zetta Elliott - a 15-yo African-American girl is transported back in time to Civil War-era Brooklyn. Published in 2008.

The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen - a Jewish girl in New York travels back in time to 1940s Poland. Published in 1988.

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Biggs | 2 comments I haven’t read these but they look good

Kate Pankhurst books:

Fantastically Great Women Who Change the World (includes Marie Curie)

Fantastically Great Women Who Made History (includes Harriet Tubman and Josephine Baker)