Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly Reading: Nominations > August 2018 - History & 2000s

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Jun 01, 2018 06:58PM) (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
1970's and 2000's are still among the largest bookshelves we have at the moment so let us continue at chipping away, trying to even the field a little bit with the remaining Hugo and Nebula bookshelves.

As usual, we kindly as everyone not to pick any titles that are a part of larger series but in case you do, it's not gonna be a problem (we'll just ignore your nomination, kick you out of the group and molest your pet if you have one)

Here are the links to the bookshelves themselves, have fun browsing for August's nomination:

2000's Bookshelf
History Bookshelf

message 2: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 4114 comments Mod
A hard choice... I'm unsure whether to give the group the definite 'must read' I know or to try something new and be potentially disappointed :)

message 3: by LuthienDillon (new)

LuthienDillon | 24 comments Just started browsing these lists, there so many interesting books that it's really hard to decide. :-)

message 4: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
LuthienDillon wrote: "Just started browsing these lists, there so many interesting books that it's really hard to decide. :-)"

I forgot to mention that you can nominate both books from a single bookshelf, there's no obligation in picking one of each.

Oleksandr wrote: "A hard choice... I'm unsure whether to give the group the definite 'must read' I know or to try something new and be potentially disappointed :)"

Just go with your gut, I guess!

message 5: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
One book I'm pretty confident in nominating is Cloud Atlas, was curious about it for a few years already. Though I might be misguided in my interest, I try not to read synopses or reviews of the books I have not read. Still I've heard a few things that made me interested in this book.

Will think on my 2nd nomination.

message 6: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

In history I choose The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick

message 7: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Jun 02, 2018 07:07AM) (new)

Kateblue | 4132 comments Mod
I second both Cloud Atlas, which I am also interested in, and The Man in High Castle, because I always thought I should like PKD better than I did. but I was just a kid then. I remember nothing about it, and I think I should give it another try.

There! That stopped me from having to make decisions!

message 8: by LuthienDillon (new)

LuthienDillon | 24 comments I second "The Man in the High Castle" by Philip K.Dick for History. That has been on my TBR list for a while.

And I 'd like to nominate
"Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom" by Cory Doctorov.
Read "Little Brother" by the same author a couple of years ago and liked it a lot.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

(Sorry for not linking the book properly, can't figure out how that works on the phone ).

message 9: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
LuthienDillon wrote: "I second "The Man in the High Castle" by Philip K.Dick for History. That has been on my TBR list for a while.

And I 'd like to nominate
"Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom" by Cory Doctorov.
Read..."

I personally keep regular desktop version even on my phone, so I'm not sure if you have a "add book/author" button above the rectangular space where you write your post. It ought to be in the top right corner right above it.

As for The Man in the High Castle, I absolutely loved the book when I read it long time ago and was looking forward to rereading it.

message 10: by LuthienDillon (new)

LuthienDillon | 24 comments Thank you, so here's the link:

Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom
by
Cory Doctorow

message 11: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Kateblue | 4132 comments Mod
Ya know, I don't remember what the books were for July . . . Altzheimer's setting in, I guess.

message 12: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

Kateblue wrote: "Ya know, I don't remember what the books were for July . . . Altzheimer's setting in, I guess."

On the group's main page:
The Curse of Chalion
and
Paladin of Souls
by Lois McMaster Bujold

message 13: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Jun 02, 2018 07:49PM) (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Kateblue wrote: "Ya know, I don't remember what the books were for July . . . Altzheimer's setting in, I guess."

Kate, I worked all afternoon on that "Series Business" pun for July reads, you make me feel underappreciated! ^_^

I suppose it gets a bit confusing, picking books two months in advance but at least this way we have plenty of time to first nominate and then vote titles in.

I am really happy to see more and more people chipping in with their nominations and votes. Soon things will get more interesting when members will start using ENCs they earned from the challenges.

message 14: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Nominations we've got so far:

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick
Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow

I am forfeiting my second nomination in favour of The Man in the High Castle, even got an audiobook version of it. Looking forward to it.

message 15: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

Have anyone read Robert Charles Wilson? There are several standalone books of his in 2000s list but the reviews are too broad to decide on anything.
Among books I've read and enjoyed:
Anathem, Cryptonomicon, Old Man's War, The Last Colony, Zoe's Tale, Camouflage, American Gods, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, The Windup Girl

message 16: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 480 comments Mod
Oleksandr wrote: "Have anyone read Robert Charles Wilson? There are several standalone books of his in 2000s list but the reviews are too broad to decide on anything.
"

I've only read Last Year. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't the best time travel book I've read. I've wanted to read Spin for a while now, but haven't got around to it.

I'm a bit torn between what I'd like to nominated. My first one is easy:
Eifelheim by Michael F. Flynn

My second is where I'm struggling:
Camouflage by Joe Haldeman
or
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

...I like Haldeman's The Accidental Time Machine

Ok: Final answer, Camouflage is my second.

message 17: by Bryan, Village Idiot (last edited Jun 08, 2018 08:38AM) (new)

Bryan | 480 comments Mod
Don't forget to nominate your two books for August's group read. You can choose one book from each bookshelf or two from a single bookshelf.

2000's Bookshelf
History Bookshelf

message 18: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 480 comments Mod
August poll is up for everyone to vote.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.